PDA

View Full Version : Polartec power dry for base layer?

TheYoungOne
09-24-2010, 15:55
I got a pair of lightweight polartec Powerdry, bottoms and long sleeve tops as my base layer for hiking the AT in PA. I'm going to do a couple of section trips in the fall (this weekend and October) and in the spring. Anyone use these before, and will the lightweight version be enough or should I go midweight?

mudhead
09-24-2010, 19:02
Bean versions, yes. I favor the years old, worn, midweight in summer. Once it gets too warm for that with the zip open, no shirt is fine.

You will want a shell over it. You should have a better idea after this weekend.

The silkweight crew goes under the heavyweight 1/4 zip like it was planned.

Got orange?

TheYoungOne
09-24-2010, 19:45
Bean versions, yes. I favor the years old, worn, midweight in summer. Once it gets too warm for that with the zip open, no shirt is fine.

You will want a shell over it. You should have a better idea after this weekend.

The silkweight crew goes under the heavyweight 1/4 zip like it was planned.

Got orange?

Yep I got some blaze orange for October when the hunter come out. Is a baseball cap enough or should I wear more? I can always grab a cheap blaze shirt or jacket at walmart before I go.

Wags
09-25-2010, 00:57
i prefer lightweight baselayers almost all the time. i see them as if they are designed mainly to wick the sweat off me. i leave my insulation mainly to a 100 weight fleece and down jacket. you'll be fine with that as your baselayer but you probably should have some sort of poofy layer jacket (or at least a vest that you can put on under a rain jacket)...

IronGutsTommy
09-25-2010, 01:16
lightweight is for " aerobic activity" while midweight is for "hiking where youre stopping and starting" according to the company. most hikers dont stop and start alot so the lightweights a better bet. i always recommend a bucket hat over a ballcap, the rim helps protect against the sun alot, and the sun is closer to the earth in winter than in summer incidentally. also a good idea to rock glasses in winter to avoid any snow blindness, although thats only the case with snow on the ground, as the snow reflects 80% of the harmful uv rays off the ground. i like polartech but i go with underarmor compression tights and mock turtlenecks. i find that the compression not only helps the wicking but keeps the muscles warm and supple, kinda like a baseball pitcher putting a jackets sleeve over his arm between innings. the compression, especially on the legs, helps with both fatigue and injury prevention and the tights help make it easier to recover. i also wear injinji compression socks, which help in the same way, plus the individual toes help keep the toes separate, which helps prevent toe chaffing and atheletes foot

TheYoungOne
10-14-2010, 14:35
Just a status report. I used a pair of REI lightweight Polartec Powerdry as a baselayer and they worked like a charm. The temps were between 70 and 35. Most of the hike I just wore nylon hiking pants and I was more than fine. I smelled sweaty at peak of midday, but I never felt wet at any time. As it dipped below 40 when the sun went down, I put on an underarmor hoodie an it was overkill. I overheated that last mile,and I would have been much better off with a thinner microfleece or a vest.