PDA

View Full Version : Fleece vs Soft Shell

TheYoungOne
09-24-2010, 16:19
I was loking at some fleece and soft shell jackets for hiking and I'm wondering what everyone uses.

I seen some softshells (northface and Nike ACG) that claim to be water and wind proof, but I wonder how well they breathe.

I have looked into some fleece that is water and wind resistant, but it seem eventually they will get soaked in the rain.

Toolshed
09-24-2010, 17:56
If you are hiking in winter and cold conditions, I highly recommend a softshell. I have about 3 (maybe 4) and they are great for mountaineering and climbing. Water pretty much rolls off like a duck's back, but I wouldn't want it to be my one and only in a downpour. They are much more breathable than a hardshell and they are much closer fitting and stretch with you.
If I am just out hiking in all seasons, I would prefer a fleece and a hardshell. You can get a fleece that is windresistant or one that let's the wind rip through.

I personally like the 70%-80% Windpro's - they let some wind through, but you needn't wear a hardshell over it on cold windy days. The fleece alone will always end up letting rain in.

Joker4ink
09-25-2010, 00:54
I agree on the shell too. They really block the wind and help repel some light precipitation. I am a huge fan of my Marmot Leadville (in orange!).

Wags
09-25-2010, 01:14
softshells are what i take on day hikes for reasons toolshed mentioned. if i'm backpacking then it's insulation + hardshell...

softshells look sharp though, if that matters to you

bigcranky
09-26-2010, 21:53
For me, a soft shell is great for day long activities. But for overnight backpacking, I find that a soft shell is too warm to hike in and not warm enough in camp. Plus it's heavy for the warmth it does provide.

mad4scrapping
09-27-2010, 16:57
What's the difference between a hard shell and a soft shell jacket?

10-K
09-27-2010, 17:09
What's the difference between a hard shell and a soft shell jacket?

http://www.backpacker.com/gear/ask_kristin/207

mad4scrapping
09-27-2010, 17:12
That was just what I needed to know.

Mags
09-27-2010, 19:47
If you are looking for a good, budget softsell, Costco is selling the Double Black Diamond Double Diamond from Vermont (NOT to be confused with the Black Diamond company from Utah) softshell.

No pitzips, but a good 'bread and butter' type shell that works for around town, some climbing and I hope to test it this winter for skiing.
http://blackdiamondsportswear.com/files/BlackDiamond_2010.pdf

All for the princely sum of $26!

Not equivalent to the $200 Marmot ones (or similar) but seems to be at least as good as the REI house brand.

Worth checking out if you are doing cool-to cold weather day activities in mainly dry conditions with the occasional light precip.

Bucherm
09-29-2010, 05:46
Back in June I visited some high school friends in San Francisco. Like a complete fool I had forgotten that summer in San Francisco is not like summer in the rest of the country, so I ended up buying a Goldan Gate National Rec Area fleece jacket(with a shell) to combat the wild, windy, wet and cold SF summer. I have to say, this jacket has moved firmly into my "go-to" spot for jackets, and the old Lands End one i had inheirted from my Dad has been unceremoniously retired.

verber
09-29-2010, 12:39
I don't use a softshell backpacking except on winter snow trips because other options give me better performance for less weight. For done in a day activities I will often take a soft shell. I strongly encourage staying away from membrane based soft shells... they aren't more breathable (sometimes less) than fully waterproof materials like eVENT and don't provide as a good protection. I have written up a bit of my experiences with soft shells (http://www.verber.com/mark/outdoors/gear/clothing.html#SoftShell).

--mark

Tinker
09-29-2010, 14:42
I carry a hardshell rain jacket and a wind shirt with a hood. I use either in conjunction with a base layer or fleece over a base layer. A softshell is a compromise, neither entirely waterproof nor entirely breathable. They are perfect in a light, short drizzle, but in a soaker you'll eventually get wet through. It delays the inevitable. It may be too warm on many occasions when a wind shirt over a base layer might be perfect.
Whatever you get, get a full zip. Lack of ventilation in hot weather is more of a problem than carrying an extra 1/4-1/2 ounce per garment.

rodonne1
10-08-2010, 22:05
I'm about do a week long trip and i'm gonna carry 2 TNF fleeces and the Venture rain jacket for a wind breaker as the top layer.

rodonne1
10-08-2010, 22:06
This will be in Georgia, any farther north and I'd bring something heavier than only fleece.