PDA

View Full Version : Mason Dixon Sign

horicon
09-25-2010, 09:27
What happened to the Mason Dixon Sign in Par Mar??

Kaptain Kangaroo
09-25-2010, 16:03
Must have taken it away so that the NOBO's from down South will keep walking north.
Was hiking with a guy from SC on my thru in 2006 & we almost had to throw rocks at him to make him cross the line !! ;)

Rain Man
09-25-2010, 16:38
Last I heard the Mason-Dixon Line had migrated down to somewhere in South Florida.
:D
But in '04 it was there when my GRITS (Girls Raised in the South) middle daughter hiked through, though she doesn't look too happy about reaching it.
:)

Rain:sunMan

The Old Fhart
09-25-2010, 19:23
If you are on the A.T. I believe it leaves Pen-Mar maybe a tenth of a mile south of where the trail crosses the Mason Dixon line so you wouldn't see a Mason Dixon sign in Pen-Mar unless you went off the trail.

moytoy
09-26-2010, 09:56
Last I heard the Mason-Dixon Line had migrated down to somewhere in South Florida.

I'm no clock watcher so I'm gaurdin the line here in Florida. It's all about the carrots man.http://www.spike.com/video/southern-fried/2722470

Helios
09-26-2010, 10:24
2 years ago there was a mangled sign there. Last year there was nothing. It was more than likely a victim of vandalism.

horicon
09-26-2010, 14:03
Sunday, 19 September 2010 there was just a post where the sing was. The sign must have been a victim.

Toolshed
09-26-2010, 14:31
2 years ago there was a mangled sign there. Last year there was nothing. It was more than likely a victim of vandalism.
Uhhhh....Southern rednecks ...ummm.. shooting at it.....?:banana

LIhikers
09-26-2010, 16:24
If you are on the A.T. I believe it leaves Pen-Mar maybe a tenth of a mile south of where the trail crosses the Mason Dixon line so you wouldn't see a Mason Dixon sign in Pen-Mar unless you went off the trail.

That seems to be how I remember it too.

Wise Old Owl
09-26-2010, 16:44
Its OK we still know where the line is.... Due to the lack of Waffle Houses in PA.

Darn theres one in Allentown UUUUUGHHHHH!

Rain Man
09-26-2010, 17:40
I'm no clock watcher so I'm gaurdin the line here in Florida. It's all about the carrots man.http://www.spike.com/video/southern-fried/2722470

I think I remember that cartoon! LOL

Toolshed
09-26-2010, 20:19
Its OK we still know where the line is.... Due to the lack of Waffle Houses in PA.

Darn theres one in Allentown UUUUUGHHHHH!
And in Hellertown as well.......

sherrill
09-26-2010, 22:44
The town of Cary, NC, decided it was against their sign ordinance and disposed of it. :rolleyes:

Razor
09-26-2010, 23:01
Where grits go so goes the south! Where I go ,so goes grits. So whereever I am that must be southern by the gace of the almighty.

Kaptain Kangaroo
09-27-2010, 05:26
You're all Northerners as far as I'm concerned !!!:banana

G'day from the REAL South ! (hemisphere that is !)

warraghiyagey
09-27-2010, 07:44
you're all northerners as far as i'm concerned !!!:banana

g'day from the real south ! (hemisphere that is !)
:d:d . . . . . . . .

Odd Man Out
09-27-2010, 15:29
But where is the sweet tea/no sugar tea line?

Or the Appa-LATCH-in / Appa-LAY-chin line?

Besides, having grown up there, I would say that MD isn't really in the south.

IronGutsTommy
09-27-2010, 16:09
according to 2010 thru hikers companion... "a marker was once on the trail to signify the historical survey line and the pennsylvania-maryland state line.the marker has not been seen for several years."

FlyPaper
09-27-2010, 16:52
:D
But in '04 it was there when my GRITS (Girls Raised in the South) middle daughter hiked through, though she doesn't look too happy about reaching it.
:)

My first hike started just north of the Mason-Dixon line and proceeded south. At the end of that hike I had to burn my almost new pair of boots for having set foot in Yankee territory.

Don't do what I did. Make sure you use an old pair of boots when hiking up north.

max patch
09-27-2010, 17:46
I don't remember a sign, although i'm sure there was one there to mark the border, however, I do remember walking 100 yards or so off trail to see one of the actual markers that was originally placed when the survey was done in the 1700's.

ki0eh
09-27-2010, 19:29
My first hike started just north of the Mason-Dixon line and proceeded south. At the end of that hike I had to burn my almost new pair of boots for having set foot in Yankee territory.

Don't do what I did. Make sure you use an old pair of boots when hiking up north.

Whether old or new, all boots go to PA to die. :D

bpitt
09-27-2010, 21:53
Some northern tree hugs probably took it down cuz it represented a dead tree.

stonedflea
09-28-2010, 10:36
Must have taken it away so that the NOBO's from down South will keep walking north.
Was hiking with a guy from SC on my thru in 2006 & we almost had to throw rocks at him to make him cross the line !! ;)

^ this made me LOL =)

Besides, having grown up there, I would say that MD isn't really in the south.

and i say, sir, that all southerners would agree with you. ;)

Speer Carrier
09-28-2010, 11:09
The Mason Dixon line is the border between MD and PA. I figured it to be on or close to the rail road track at the edge of Penmar park. I didn't feel let down just because there was no official sign. Maybe I'm missing something. Why the concern about no sign?

Pedaling Fool
09-28-2010, 11:47
The Mason Dixon line is the border between MD and PA. I figured it to be on or close to the rail road track at the edge of Penmar park. I didn't feel let down just because there was no official sign. Maybe I'm missing something. Why the concern about no sign?
I agree. I think some believe they're seeing a historical point if they see a sign, but they're just looking at a sign. A wooden sign is no more/less historic than a metal sign any where along the Penn/Md state border. So unless it's an original marker you're not seeing history.

I don't remember a sign, although i'm sure there was one there to mark the border, however, I do remember walking 100 yards or so off trail to see one of the actual markers that was originally placed when the survey was done in the 1700's.

Bucherm
09-29-2010, 05:16
Some northern tree hugs probably took it down cuz it represented a dead tree.

I don't think you're very familiar with that part of PA and MD if you think that there are millitant treehuggers there.

Old Hiker
09-29-2010, 15:03
Uhhhh....Southern rednecks ...ummm.. shooting at it.....?:banana
DamYankees, I'd say.

But then, if'n ya'll ain't a Texan, ya'll'r all a DamYankee in my book.

No offense. Bless your heart. :D

Driver8
09-30-2010, 14:28
I don't think you're very familiar with that part of PA and MD if you think that there are millitant treehuggers there.

What's wrong with hugging a tree anyway? Would you rather be a tree hater? I likes me some trees - they do us an awful lot of good with minimal fuss. People should respect.

Bucherm
10-01-2010, 05:22
What's wrong with hugging a tree anyway? Would you rather be a tree hater? I likes me some trees - they do us an awful lot of good with minimal fuss. People should respect.

Nothing wrong with it, in fact I'm mildly perturbed that someone who (seemingly) enjoys the outdoors appears to have derisive thoughts about "tree hugs".

Just pointing out that the locals there probably have more in common with good ole country boys Down South than "Northern Tree Hugs".

(as if the Sierra Club is patrolling the trails and uprooting wooden signs) :rolleyes: