PDA

View Full Version : What jacket to get?

pudgzilla
09-25-2010, 19:05
I'm planning on starting a thru-hike in January and am looking for advice on jackets...

As of now, I've been thinking between a nano puff hooded insulated jacket by patagonia or an ultralight down parka by montbell.

Anyone have experience with these? Or any recommendations?

kayak karl
09-25-2010, 19:13
you'll sweat to death !

Luddite
09-25-2010, 19:26
you'll sweat to death !

You think he'll sweat to death even with the Nano Puff? What about the one without the hood? I'm asking because I'm looking at the same jacket.

pudgzilla
09-25-2010, 20:07
really? I'm planning on starting January 1st...what would you suggest then?

Dogwood
09-25-2010, 20:10
Couple of thoughts/questions you might want to consider:

1) You will experience temps at or below freezing for some amount of days if starting a NOBO thru-hike of the AT in January

2) What is my tolerance to cold?

3) Is this jacket going to be used mostly in camp/for sleeping?

4) What will I wear while hiking in cold and/or wet conditions during the earlier stages of my NOBO thru-hike. Can I have a clothing sytem that can be used for camp and while hiking or can many of the elements(pieces) of this system do double duty?

Here are some of my thoughts. Maybe you can find something helpful in my comments.

If I was geaaring up for the type of hike you are planning when you are planning to start I would realize it's not the same as going out to the store from your house in your car and returning back home via the same way in Jan in NY. This is a thru-hike. I RARELY take a heavy jacket on a thru-hike for warmth. Maybe, for a weekend COLD weather hike or a COLD day hike or possibly a climb I would consider a jacket a more likely option. Instead, what I prefer, is to use multiple layers(different pieces) to attain an equal amount of warmth but have the added versatilty of TWO or more pieces. It makes it more likely that not only could I wear these pieces individually or in combinatioin in camp/for sleeping/at rest stops, but also while actually on the move(hiking). That is my goal - have the greatest functionality with the least amount of wt. that performs for the conditions most expected! Additionally, I would seek even greater warmth, Flexibility, and the ability to manage my core temp with accessories like gloves, beanie/hat/hood, and wool socks.

For example, this works FOR ME in temps into the high teens. A WP rain/wind shell, insulating layer like a MontBell down inner jacket, a mid wt long sleeved 1/4 -1 /2 zip fleece or merino wool top, tee(polyester or merino wool next to skin), Manzanella Silk wt Windstopper gloves w/ inner Smartwool glove liners or Sirius Thermal liners, and wool beanie. Might take along a silk wt thermal bottoms too.

As my thru progressed and it got warmer I would start deleting/exchanging some of these pieces. For example, when it warmed up I might trade out the Mont Bell jacket for a Mont Bell Thermawrap synthetic or UL down vest, a lighter wt fleece, ditch the gloves ditch the thermal bottoms, etc. or when it was summer just have a rain/wind jacket, tee, and fleece or merino wool long sleeve.

Luddite
09-25-2010, 20:21
http://www.backpacker.com/november_08_pack_man_/articles/12659?page=4

Winton Porter suggests layering with lightweight and midweight top and bottom underwear and a synthetic fill or down fill insulated jacket. Rain pants and nylon shorts.

kayak karl
09-25-2010, 20:40
i started 1/1/09. i wore a wicking tee. micro fleece and my percip rain jacket when it was cold in morn (10-20). never wore longjohns just my zip off pants. by afternoon i was taking off the micro and putting on a long sleeve silk layer (32)

layer everything. including gloves.

the problem with down clothes they can not get wet from inside or out.

you will be surprised how hot you get when you hike in cold.

EAT A LOT. you will lose weight. i loss 50 lb in 50 days

Luddite
09-25-2010, 20:45
Was '09 a warm winter?

kayak karl
09-25-2010, 21:10
no, look it up. new years eve it was 9 on springer. saw 6 snow storms and many nights in single digits. i tested all my gear before i left. hammock was great. never cold.

but like others said, layer. i had on more shirt in pack but never needed it down to 10.

everybody is different. you may need more.

Bags4266
09-25-2010, 22:41
Hey Pud, good deal here on the Montbell
http://www.prolitegear.com/montbell_alpine_light_down_jacket.html

Wags
09-26-2010, 00:50
if you're a size Large i have an excellent insulative jacket for sale in the "for sale" section...

IronGutsTommy
09-26-2010, 00:59
i agree with the hats, gloves comment. 85 percent of your body heat escapes from your head. a warm head/hands/feet equals a warm body and core temp. yeah your body burns alot of calories in winter, more food is needed. to lose a pound a day, no matter how many miles a day you averaged, is dangerous and could have been prevented. its not uncommon to lose 20 some odd pounds... on a THRU hike. some thru hikers have actually gained weight. also in winter drink drink drink.. you wont feel thirsty but you can easily dehydrate. wear glasses too, snow reflects 80% of harmful UV rays, and snowblindness can in some cases cause permanent damage

MedicineMan
09-26-2010, 02:17
I've got a Patagonia nano-puff hoodie--like the Montbell Thermawrap Parka you cannot hike in these--you will roast--even if it is 10F, you might start out with it on but the first climb and soon you shed it........so think of the nanopuff hoodie or the montbell thermawrap parka as camp clothes AND sleep clothes; crazy to crary something only for campwear. For this piece of gear don't consider down...your sleeping bag yes or if you are a hammocker your top or bottom quilt down is ok, but this piece of gear needs to sustain you even if wet---the nanopuff series or the montbell line is synthetic-surprisingly light AND warm if wet, sleep in it and you will dry it as you sleep. Like I said, if 10F start hiking it it an expect to loose it with the first uphill...then your smartwool and shell will be all that is needed even if it is 10-20F.
You can expect one of these syn. garments to cost you 10-14 ounces depending on size but it is an insurance policy for winter hikers that can save the day. Have you noticed the ultralightweight thru-hikers use the seasons as an advantage--that is one way they can obtain the 10pound baseweights----but its a double edge sword, like you I like to get out in winter for the deep quiet and solitude....but for these conditions there is a weight penalty....no fear though, you will be offset by some surreal beauty that few get to see on the AT. I did 1/3 of SNP in the deep dark winter...didn't see a soul but felt totally connected to the power.
Also consider the thermawrap vest by Montbell--weight is wonderful and coupled with either the nanopuff hoodie or the Thermawrap parka and you've got serious resistance to cold. For millenia I've carried a vest for core protection..the vest at 4-5 ounces makes a wonderful intermediary in the layering approach....yeah i know, cold arms but hey they're just arms!
For a January start you must steel yourself. I did the New Years night at Springer this past January-woke up in the hammock and everything was covered in ice!
Oh, I'm sure you read, get sunscreen if you plan a January start :)

Jayboflavin04
09-26-2010, 08:20
Montebel runs small....buy the next size larger if this is your choice.