PDA

View Full Version : What to wear for fall hike?

Matty427
09-25-2010, 19:22
My next section hike will be from Neels to Franklin, NC next week. Looks like nighttime lows will be in the low 40s in Franklin, so
I'm assuming a bit colder at higher elevations. Daytime in the 70s.

What kind of clothing should I be looking at bringing? Specifically tops. I've got a marmot dri-clime windshirt for an outer layer, patagonia cap3 quarter-zip for base layer. At first I thought that would be enough but looking at those temps, I think I need something warmer as a mid-layer.

I'd like to get a fleece that I could use off the trail as well as on the trail, and something light - although I'm open to other opinions.

Thanks!

Wags
09-26-2010, 00:51
any kind of "poofy" mid layer will be much appreciated during evening hours matty. synthetic or down is your preference. each has their strength... you're right in that the 40's you'll definitely want more than a base layer and a driclime

Nean
09-26-2010, 03:48
Hat and gloves.;)

Egads
09-26-2010, 09:00
Firearms deer season starts Oct 16 in north GA - wear high visibility orange during hunting season

kayak karl
09-26-2010, 09:17
and good socks.

bigcranky
09-26-2010, 21:42
4-layer system: Base layer, wind shirt, insulation layer, rain shell layer.

The insulation layer can be anything from light fleece to a big puffy down jacket, depending on the weather. If it's in the 40s at night I usually take a light down sweater or a 200-weight fleece.

C Seeker
10-01-2010, 06:51
I normal bring 4 tops that I can wear all at once but when it gets hot i just keep striping them off before I sweat... Base layer, wicking t-shirt, warm fleece sweeter, then a rain/ wind shell.

Also you should wear the same amount of clothes on top then the bottom. Also hat and gloves is always needed. Good luck on your hike!

nitegaunt
10-01-2010, 10:32
I do most of my hiking in Fall and Winter and I can't stress a good pair of gloves and warm head gear enough. I have a pair of Columbia gloves that are fleece-lined on the inside and a sort of backpack material on the outside. I also have a fleece hat that comes down over my ears and a balaklava-style thing that I can put on under it. Wool socks really make a difference, too. I can't tell you how much more enjoyable they have made my cold and warm weather hiking!

Kerosene
10-01-2010, 10:33
4-layer system: Base layer, wind shirt, insulation layer, rain shell layer.

The insulation layer can be anything from light fleece to a big puffy down jacket, depending on the weather. If it's in the 40s at night I usually take a light down sweater or a 200-weight fleece.I do just fine with a 100-weight fleece (aka, microfleece) down to 40, layered with a long-sleeve undershirt and rain parka. After a few days your body's thermostat becomes more tolerant of cooler temperatures. I don't bother with a down sweater unless I expect temps below freezing.

Around camp on the bottom I'll bring a pair of long underwear layered under my rain pants and/or camp pants.

Feet are more difficult to keep warm when you're not walking. Dry socks are a must, and I really like my PossumDown Socks (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/possumdown_socks.html).