PDA

View Full Version : North Face Beeline 900

Sh33p
12-01-2004, 21:07
Looking to get a new lightweight down bag for Christmas... Has anyone had any experience with the North Face Beeline 900 bag?

Singletrack
12-01-2004, 22:27
I don't think it has a zipper. If that matters. Check out Montbell bags at Campsaver.com Their having a huge sale on their bags.

TakeABreak
12-02-2004, 00:26
Isn't that a +30 bag??

Will that be warm enough for you on the A.T.??

I have not heard anything bad North Face bags, but I used a Marmot Pinnacle +15 bag, 675 down (they now use 800 down in this bag). I never got cold even at +10. Marmots bags are not cheap ($$) or in quality, Marmot now have 900 down bags that are almost light as what you are looking at and have zippers (I saw that is in question, above). Personally my next bag will a 900 down Marmot. But I am sure others here, have used other bags and are just as happy with their choice's.

gravityman
12-02-2004, 11:42
Isn't that a +30 bag??

Will that be warm enough for you on the A.T.??

I have not heard anything bad North Face bags, but I used a Marmot Pinnacle +15 bag, 675 down (they now use 800 down in this bag). I never got cold even at +10. Marmots bags are not cheap ($$) or in quality, Marmot now have 900 down bags that are almost light as what you are looking at and have zippers (I saw that is in question, above). Personally my next bag will a 900 down Marmot. But I am sure others here, have used other bags and are just as happy with their choice's.

Just a note... From careful reading of the Western Mountaineering sight, the quality of down used has not changed, but the rating system of the down did change recently. So, and old 800 fill bag most likely is filled with what is today being called 900.

Gravity

Sh33p
12-02-2004, 16:36
Ya, i was kinda worried about the lack of a zipper. I think the 30* rating should be fine for my SOBO hike since im starting in early June.. or am I wrong? Im a noob so correct me if im wrong..

The Solemates
12-02-2004, 18:39
You'll be fine. Maybe chilly a few nights, but nothing major. Just wear a fleece or something.

Singletrack
12-02-2004, 18:51
A 30 degree bag worked for me SOBO, and many others I hiked with. Take a look at the Western Mountaineering Bags. All 850 down. Most are warmer than what they are rated. Yes, they are high in price, but equally high in value. If Mom and Dad are purchasing this for a Christmas present, tell them they will never have to buy you another bag. If you care for it. I have two. See backcountrygear.com, better yet, your local outfitter.

Sh33p
12-02-2004, 21:49
K, ill check out the WM bags.. Thanks for the help everyone :)

canyon
12-02-2004, 22:45
I would look at mounainsmith if you want high quality and cheap. They are on sale alot right now. Vision or wisp. I checked out a beeline but i would think no zipper would suck on the AT. I couldn't start in spring with a 30 degree bag, but many could. The beeline is comparable in terms of loft and weight, is actually a bit better than hydrogen/megalite b/c it has not zip and is slightly smaller. We has yet to make a ultralight sized 30 degree bag like the Merlin from FF. They have instead stuck with the sort of strange Iroquios/Caribou modals which i own (iroquois) and like but are not optomally arm for their weight