PDA

View Full Version : Discount clothes online?

jsstewar
09-26-2010, 12:09
For things like polypro shirts, long johns, socks, beanies, pants, shorts, etc. are there any websites that are popular for offering good discounts? We currently moved to a beach community to live with parents so that we can save money to start our hike next year and there isn't a decent outfitter within several hours' drive. Oh, and what is popular for underwear? I hear it can be a bad idea to take the regular cotton.

Luddite
09-26-2010, 12:15
Yeah cotton is a bad idea. Patagonia Capilene is popular and check out the Smartwool stuff too. You can sometimes get a good deal on Ebay. Make sure you shop around because theres always a better deal on another site.

REI.com
Campor.com
Altrec.com
Backcountry.com
Mountaingear.com
Moosejaw.com
Prolitegear.com

Mountain Wildman
09-26-2010, 12:16
Cotton is a bad idea for hiking, Sitting around camp in cotton is ok.
These guys have some good deals: http://www.theunderwearguys.com/index.php

Sierra Trading Post usually has good prices and they have sales every other day, Subscribe to their deal flyer and they send the latest deal to your e-mail daily:
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/

johnnybgood
09-26-2010, 12:19
Are there any Goodwill or Salvation Army stores in Greensboro ? That's where I look first and then I'll try Wal-Mart for the poly shirts and shorts.

Campmor is one outfitter online you can try, www.campmor.com (http://www.campmor.com)

Luddite
09-26-2010, 12:21
I am so buying a Union Suit from that site.

I wish they made it in Polyester though.

Moose2001
09-26-2010, 12:45
www.sierratradingpost.com

Bags4266
09-26-2010, 14:33
Also, http://www.sunnysports.com/ as far as underwear.... When warmer wear running shorts, they usually have a mesh liner to keep the boys in check, no need for the underwear.

4eyedbuzzard
09-26-2010, 16:52
Sierra Trading Post, Moab Sports, Campmor, Moosejaw, O2 Gear Shop, Herman's Hut, even REI and EMS when they have sales or in their bargain / clearance sections . . . there are so many. And of course eBay - I've bought some great used clothing really cheap.

Sign up for newsletters/deals from all the etailers, you'll get coupons and free shipping offers, etc.

Red Hat
09-26-2010, 17:12
my best bargains were found on steepandcheap.com. They list stuff for a while, till it is gone, then the next bargain shows up... keep it up on your computer and check it every so often. I got good buys on Smartwool

Waterbuffalo
09-26-2010, 18:31
steepandcheap.com is awesome I got an alps sleeping pad as a back up for 10 bucks

Pony
09-26-2010, 19:28
Unless you're hung up on a certain brand or just like spending a lot of money, you can get cheap clothing at the goodwill. It will most likely be ruined by the end of a thru hike anyway. Underwear is optional.

Mags
09-26-2010, 19:51
The Underwear Guys (aka Warm Stuff Distributing) is run by WBer Fiddlehead. Mention WB and you'll get a 10% discount. Good, basic stuff.

Also check out the army/navy store. Some of that stuff is heavy, but some stuff (again, esp the basics) is good, nice and cheap (like the m-65 liner jacket!)

Prettywoman0172
09-26-2010, 20:33
Check TJ Maxx and Marshalls...youll have to spend some time going through the racks but I have had really good luck there.

A

singing wind
09-27-2010, 01:56
If you're so inclined, as previous posters have mentioned keep checking the 2nd hand shops and other discount oriented places. Often I've found decent wearable every day sort of clothes that can be worn as is or transformed for other purposes on the trail, ie a $1 lightweight kids rain jacket got re-sewn into my main food stuff sack - and the extra fabric is sitting around to be made into gaitors or hand mitts.

Wool sweaters, synthetic leggings, polyester blend tops, nylon pants and shorts, skirs, etc. - even merino once in a while (that particular search took a couple weeks). I use what I can find and modify it to suit.

Think of what you would be comfortable in not only when it's hot/warm and dry out, but also what fabrics will dry quickly after being wet. And easy to wash by hand or machine.

Good luck with your planning!

Luddite
09-30-2010, 16:03
Oh, and don't forget TravelCountry.com. I've gotten some great deals from them.

Blissful
09-30-2010, 19:40
Don't forget your neighborhood Goodwill and Salvation Army stores - if you have any close by. You can also get some of these items at big chain stores like Target and Wal mart

skinewmexico
09-30-2010, 21:26
You can find great stuff at Walmart. Unless you're really worried about labels. STP almost always has good prices too, but about twice as high.