PDA

View Full Version : rain gear

simon
12-01-2004, 23:44
What is your choice of rain gear to wear in a steady down pour?

Rain Man
12-01-2004, 23:54
Summer or winter?

Summer - nothing!

Winter - Frogg Toggs.

:sun
Rain Man

Doctari
12-02-2004, 00:50
Jacket: Totes (the umbrella people) light weight, no longer made, I asked. Got at a PBS auction.

Pants: North face, light weight, I have never worn them in rain, use them as town pants. Got them at a store GOB sale. They store in their own pocket & make a nice (if small) pillow.

Hat: nylon ball cap. Works almost as well as a fish net :D

All in all my "system" seems to work, & total cost about $50.00, weight about 1 Lb counting the hat.

Doctari.

verber
12-02-2004, 01:28
If it is warm (above 70F, above 60F if the wind isn't blowing) I am wearing supplex clothing that will dry quickly and I just get wet.

In most cases I am wearing Rainshield O2 jacket which is the second most breathable jacket I have tried and less windproof so I don't overheat and a OR seattle sombraro. The O2 jacket is pretty fragile... if I am going off trail I use a pearl izumi channel jacket made of eVENT which is a bit breathable than O2 jacket and much more durable.

peter_pan
12-02-2004, 05:58
Summer...just get wet...it dries

Winter or even summer if the temperature does the old 20 degree drop in 20 minutes...O2 Rainwear by Rain Shield ..$25 and 5.5 oz jacket and about the same for the pants (Yellow model is lightest). The storage bags make great waterproof, windproof and breathable mittens...yes, they work well with trecking poles.

Love my Umrella hat...work great by itself in the summer...lets you avoid the sound styfling , rotation hindering hood effect...$ 2 and 3.5 oz at South of the Border on I-95 at nc/sc line....it also works well as a big bowl/basket when emtying the food bag to find the item on the bottom..have used it as a fly cover for food on the table while preparing the main dish....Oh Yea , it creates laughter and lively discussion. :D

Youngblood
12-02-2004, 07:01
...Love my Umrella hat...work great by itself in the summer...lets you avoid the sound styfling , rotation hindering hood effect...$ 2 and 3.5 oz at South of the Border on I-95 at nc/sc line....it also works well as a big bowl/basket when emtying the food bag to find the item on the bottom..have used it as a fly cover for food on the table while preparing the main dish....Oh Yea , it creates laughter and lively discussion. :D

I thought of trying that, but about all I found on web searches were ones that appeared to be novelty items, but that's okay if they do the job. Ever have trouble with a sudden breeze blowing it completely off your head?

Youngblood

Singletrack
12-02-2004, 07:39
Frogg Toggs, by far. My jacket( 5 years old) died this past Summer, and I buried her in a hiker box, with duct tape and all. The outfitter in that town did not carry Frogg Toggs, so I had to purchase a Red Ledge rain jacket. Have not had that big down pour yet, to say whether I like it or not. I am trying to save up $43 to buy me another Frogg Togg jacket.

orangebug
12-02-2004, 07:50
Wednesday before Thanksgiving, I wore a Sierra Designs cheapo waterproof/wearable parka with hood, and some old Columbia rain pants. I also wore a wool hat from Peru to keep ears and head warm in the downpour. It works well enough. It rained like hell by Watauga Lake.

Peaks
12-02-2004, 08:23
While hiking or biking in a downpour, I'll use the Marmont PreCip jacket and Frogg Togg pants, unless it's real warm out.

hikerdude
12-02-2004, 09:55
I carry the 8 ounce, blue, silnylon Equnox poncho I got at campmor for $50 and before that a campmor ripstop poncho for $20 I gave away. And some cheap walmart $8 windpants I need to wash. But its not for everyone.

Now for umbrellas, did you see the weather channel yesterday on your GPS PDA with blue tooth? Look at NYC and see all live video, of 100's of NYer's steel umbrellas turned inside out in the driving rains, on the city sidewalks from real winds yesterday on just a city in the east. You would have to have seen it, was so funny. Boston and Washington to.

Its 1 degree and 85 gusting to 101 mph with 6 inches of ice snow mix on the ground on Washington right now, bet:cool: :banana :banana :banana :banana

trippclark
12-02-2004, 10:07
GoLite dome umbrella and gaiters! :jump I can keep on hiking without drowning in my own sweat (waterproof, breathable -- yeah right!). I still carry a lightweight rain jacket and sometimes rain pants as a backup, but it has been two years and 250 miles (including numerous rains) since I have ever put on the supposedly breathable sauna. I do sometimes wear them for additional warmth.

peter_pan
12-02-2004, 10:24
Youngblood etal,

The umbella hat is a bit of a novelty...our first ones were plastic like with glued ends...didn't last...but then Smee found our current ones...actually made like a quality umbrella...They can get a little testy crossing an open bald in high wind...so does a poncho etc..."99.44 %" we are in the woods and it is mostly a straight down rain....here they work great...Colorful though..red,blue green panels...hike into a shelter with yellow rainsuit and this umbrella on a cold, dreary, soggy April in N Ga...get prepared for some bright,warm, maybe even dry humor and levity... :sun Tends to brighten the day. :sun

They really do work well...all the fun is a bonus. :banana :p :banana :D

Youngblood
12-02-2004, 10:38
...Colorful though..red,blue green panels...hike into a shelter with yellow rainsuit and this umbrella on a cold, dreary, soggy April in N Ga...get prepared for some bright,warm, maybe even dry humor and levity... :sun Tends to brighten the day. :sun

They really do work well...all the fun is a bonus. :banana :p :banana :D

Now I could handle the red, blue and green panels on the umbrella hat, but the yellow rainsuit! ... are you trying to dress like clowns. :jump

My rainsuit, blue Frogg Toggs, won't win any fashion awards either. :) I also carry an umbrella and hiking poles, and since I only have two appendages for holding stuff, that requires a compromise during 'umbrella rains'. Would you mind sharing the info about where, what kind, how much, etc about the umbrella hat? Downhill skiers use a short string with alligator clips on both ends to keep their caps nearby if they fall off, something similiar might help with the umbrella hat if flying off was a real problem?

Youngblood

Footslogger
12-02-2004, 11:57
What is your choice of rain gear to wear in a steady down pour?======================================

Gotta agree with the folks who mentioned the Frogg Toggs. Reason being that they don't "soak out". The surface layer of most laminate rain gear is nylon and while it does not absorb moisture per se ...it does trap water between the individual fibers and eventually get soaked and heavy. Not the case with Frogg Toggs. Also ...the Frogg Toggs dry out much faster.

'Slogger
AT 2003

Smee
12-02-2004, 14:34
Footslogger,

Here's the address:

South of the Border Shops
Jct. US 301/501 & I-95
Dillon, SC 29536

Here's the item:

UP-129 Umbrella Hat $2.95 each in May 2003

You can confirm by contacting:

[email protected]

peter_pan
12-02-2004, 18:55
Youngblood,

My yellow O2Rainwear is 3+ oz lighter than the "heavy weight Frogg Toggs". Nothing like being the lightest dry clown... :jump Everyone knows yellow is a light color. :D

Kerosene
12-03-2004, 16:22
Youngblood,

My yellow O2Rainwear is 3+ oz lighter than the "heavy weight Frogg Toggs". Nothing like being the lightest dry clown... :jump Everyone knows yellow is a light color. :DSo you're saying that the O2Rainwear, pants + jacket, weighs in at a total of 12-13 ounces for a men's size medium? That's not consistent with the numbers I've seen unless it's a relatively new, lighter weight model (or the manufacturer's quoted weight is off...naw, that's not possible).

peter_pan
12-04-2004, 00:47
Kerosene,

The pants and jacket for the yellow set with elastic waist is 11oz including the stuff sack. It is the simplist of the Rainwear designs. This is the weight for my large size. The blue set is some three oz heavier, and if the bib pants are ordered the weight goes higher...If you look close on their site you will see it has snaps on the storm flap and a different hood and zippers on the legs I believe(could be wrong on the zippers).

This stuff is 20-26 percent lighter than frogg toggs, in the yellow model. I haven't been to their web site in a while to check the weights, if they are even posted...But this is no sh_ _....11oz for a large set. FT might even be15 oz for a large ( FT are cut fuller though).

HikeLite
12-04-2004, 10:15
www.driducks.com

rpettit
01-07-2005, 07:01
I am considering DriDucks, at 7oz. it would reduce my raingear wieght by 9 oz. Any experience with these? I'm a section hiker, I'm not going out into a week long rainstorm, I consider them for light occasional use only.

peter_pan
01-07-2005, 09:32
My Driducks, size large,weight 9.6 oz for the jacket and pants...generously cut...nice khaki color... look about the same as the O2rainwear...

shades of blue
01-07-2005, 10:56
For those of you that just get wet during the summer, do you have any problems with chaffing in the shorts area?

hungryhowie
01-07-2005, 11:02
I've been using the Red Ledge Thunderlight series for the past 3-4 years now and have been really happy with them. They weigh about 14oz for the MD set, and are well designed for the most part. My biggest nit would be that the zipper in the anorak lets in a small "drip" every minute or so during a hard rain, but that seems to be the only real tradeoff for the weight savings.

I'm actually going to switch rainwear soon. Had been planning on making my own out of silnylon, but the driducks are intriging (Had been staying away from the O2 because of the yellow color). Anyone else have any experienes with them? Also, any tested weight for the MD set?

-howie

Blue Jay
01-07-2005, 11:10
For those of you that just get wet during the summer, do you have any problems with chaffing in the shorts area?

When it's raining you wear tight fitting lycra or a skirt (most males have to call them kilts). Standard shorts become wet diapers and swamp ass rules.

shades of blue
01-07-2005, 11:22
Blue Jay...don't think I can do the kilt thing....whenever I go w/o underwear...well, it just isn't comfortable moving at a brisk pace. The lycra is a good idea. I may try that. Any other ideas? I hate wearing my TNF rain gear in the summer (except for warmth in the evening). I always sweat so much it just doesn't help except in a major rain storm.

Blue Jay
01-07-2005, 12:01
Blue Jay...don't think I can do the kilt thing....whenever I go w/o underwear...well, it just isn't comfortable moving at a brisk pace. The lycra is a good idea. I may try that. Any other ideas? I hate wearing my TNF rain gear in the summer (except for warmth in the evening). I always sweat so much it just doesn't help except in a major rain storm.

As many others have said, body lubes, such as Body Glide, Badger and many others work great if you use them prior to chafe. Once I had Swamp Ass sooo bad I could not walk. A female offered me her extra skirt. I said there is no way I'm wearing a skirt. The next morning I said "were's that skirt". It worked so well I bought it from her the same day. If you hike long enough in the wet you may find yourself wearing one.

Mags
01-07-2005, 12:14
As others noted, when it warm and rainy I just wear no rain gear other than a boonie hat of some sort. Worked well for me on the AT.

In the colder (and higher) conidtions of many places out West will throw on the rain gear more to keep heat in than to keep the rain out.

My rain gear of choice is water resistant as opposed to water proof. I wear a a Slynylon rain jacket that is 2.5 oz (GoLite Wisp...yep, broke down and bought a piece of GoLite equipment..was on sale and is the lightest I could find. I did blackout the GoLite label though. :D). For my hiking style (moving reasonably fast with little stopping) works quite well. It keeps in the heat. If it is cold, will throw it over my Marmot DriClime windshirt. Windproof and less weather resistant, but coupled with the Wisp, woks quite well. Used it in near-blizzard conditions on my Colorado Trial hike this pasr year. Also have Montbell UL Windpants that weigh 2.4 oz. Works well too.

Youngblood
01-07-2005, 12:49

I had pretty good luck with a bathing suit I bought from Lands End. I mention the model because I have tried others that weren't as loose and didn't work as well. Some folks cut out the mesh lining of their nylon bathing suits (I didn't have to) and that is probably about as good as the kilt approach. I have also seen hikers were the bathing suit caused a rash on the front of their legs from the all day banging against the fabric with each step, this wasn't all that often but the lycra might have worked better for them as that is why bikers wear them.

Youngblood

superman
01-07-2005, 12:49
I used "cheap" plastic rain coat/jacket/ ponchos for years. Then I heard about how light Frogg Toggs are. So I bought a jacket and was very happy with it until I stopped by a campfire to say hi. When I got over to it the fire sparked and my pilled frogg toggs burst into flames. The hikers that were there beat the hell out of the fire and me to put out the flames. I went back to using "cheap plastic" rain wear. Garbage bags are very versatile for multi uses...works for rain gear too.

Nameless
01-07-2005, 15:57
Hello,

Been looking a little into raingear, still not suer what to get. The O2rainwear does not come in small unfortunatly, so there is no way i can get it (i'm 5'1" and 102 lbs, i GOT to have a small) and it looks like teh driducks get small enough. How much do they cost? I cannot seem to find a price on their site. I've also looked at froggtoggs, but something just isnt right about them... would get a packa if i had the money.

Pink

hikerjohnd
01-07-2005, 16:20
Do a google search on driducks then check out the froogle listings. I ordered a set of driducks for less that $30 with shipping. I'm concerned about durability, and the company accepts returns so I'm not too worried.

What do you find odd about Frogg Toggs? just curious... I decided against them too, for now (depends on durability of driducks)

--John

Footslogger
01-07-2005, 17:10
I've also looked at froggtoggs, but something just isnt right about them
===================================
Curious what isn't "right" with FroggToggs. I bought a set in Hot Springs on my thru-hike in 2003. Ended up sending the pants home. Just wasn't using them. But the coat made it all the way to Katahdin and is still going strong. I found them to be as waterproof and breathable as anything else I had tried ...and I tried them all (used to work for an outfitter and got Pro-Deals on gear). Aside from the above, what I liked the most about them was the fact that they never "soaked out" and when they did have moisture on the surface you could shake them off and they would dry in a very short time. Definitely not the case with the pricey Goretex (or variations thereof) laminates.

'Slogger
AT 2003

Singletrack
01-07-2005, 17:43
I called Driducks. They told me they were not water proof, only water resistant, and would wet out in about an hour in a downpour.

Pooja Blue
01-07-2005, 18:00
EVOO (extra virgin olive oil) is a multiuse item that can help with chafing in addition to about a dozen other uses.

peter_pan
01-07-2005, 18:34
My O2 Rainwear went thru some tremendous rain in 2003 and never wetted out...Driducks is also a bilaminated and should do as well... Seems it should be considered waterproof...."wetting out" if so, defines for how long, not a reduction to water resistance...all of these Microporous Polypropylene laminates dry amazingly fast... They breath so well it is easy to hike a soaked shirt dry in thirty minutes if you put it on over a wet shirt...and they are really inexpensive... This year I'm trying the driducks...better color, khaki.

hungryhowie
01-07-2005, 18:38
I called Driducks. They told me they were not water proof, only water resistant, and would wet out in about an hour in a downpour.

That's odd. I've used ProVent products before and never had any problems with them. In fact, just to make sure that DriDucks were made of ProVent, I, too, called DriDucks. Just got off of the phone moments ago (4:35pm here Central), and they were imphatic that they were absolutely 100% waterproof and would not wet out even in the strongest downpour.

Are you sure you talked to someone at DriDucks and perhaps not at an outfitter that sold them? Outfitters often get things wrong.

-howie

Kerosene
01-07-2005, 19:57
I use Frogg Toggs, but I'm not sure that I'd recommend them to someone so slight in (physical) stature. I have a size Medium that swims on me, and a Small would seem like it would swim on you, despite the web site's claim to the contrary.

grrickar
01-07-2005, 20:38
Yeah, and it can happen even when it isn't raining. I started out from Derrick's Knob headed to Fontana Dam - determined to get there by dark. I started out with thermals on, and since we were hurrying I did not take them off. It warmed up as the day went on, and we were moving fast so I stayed sweaty. The result - chaffing. Really BAD chaffing. I was not sure I was going on to the NOC. We called the Hiker Inn and that fine gentleman brought us our maildrop and a container of Gold Bond. I will never hike without it again. I made the NOC :D

grrickar
01-07-2005, 20:43
Anyone have the Red Ledge Thunderlight pants? I have some O2 rainwear (yellow) and I liked them okay, but there were a few things I wish they had, such as leg zips to help with getting them over boots. I would also rather have adjustable velcro closures at the ankle and wrist closures. Oh well.

I picked up an REI Ultralight jacket at a REI attic sale cheap. I was going to buy a new pair of pants, but they are about $100. For something I'll only occasionally wear? Ouch. Then I checked Campmor and found the Red Ledge Thunderlight pants. I was wondering if anyone had them and what their thoughts were.

I really want something more 'substantial' than the O2 rainwear. OK. I'll admit it - I don't want to slink into town looking like a drowned bear in a biohazard suit. :bse

grrickar
01-07-2005, 20:49
One more suggestion on the chaffing - I worn compression shorts under my hiking shorts most days (not the day I ended up chaffed). They are a silky type of material and they cut down a good bit on friction.

hungryhowie
01-08-2005, 00:53
grrickar,

I've been using the Red Ledge Thunderlight set for several years and have found them to be excellent, especially the pants. I've never enjoyed a pair of rain pants as much as these. Mine are the most basic cut, no side zippers or velcro or anything, they are just straight pants with an elastic band. I can fit them over my size 10.5 (new balance) running shoes with no real problem, although it a much larger shoe or boot would probably have trouble. I've found that they breathe well enough that I can wear them in the rain throughout the year, even while constantly going up and down.

I wore out my first pair in about 2 years of use, the coating just began delaminating...really really bad all of a sudden. The Anorak (which I don't wear as much as the pants), gave out about 6 months later, so I figure I'm about halfway through this set now.

I go back and forth on rainwear. Sometimes I'd like the breathability of Provent, but I also like the durability of slick nylons like silnylon...not to mention that silnylon is also a little lighter than even the lightest proVent style jacket.

-howie

HikeLite
01-09-2005, 10:58
Singletrack, it's odd they would tell you that on the phone when their website says the opposite:

"Welcome to DriDucks!

DriDucks™ Rainwear is the latest innovation in high tech, microporous performance outdoor fabric. They’re the lightest garments on the market that deliver 100% waterproof, 100% windproof, and breathable performance. They’re also the most affordable. This patented easy-care, fashionable garment is ideal for golfing, fishing, hiking, hunting, camping and biking or any other outdoor activity. Whenever you need protection against water or wind while enjoying your favorite outdoor recreation, DriDucks is the perfect solution.

A patented seaming process insures 100% liquid proof integrity.

Made in the USA.

Folds up to a very small size to fit in a golf bag, glove box, or tackle box.

The suit only weighs around 7 oz."

hungryhowie
01-09-2005, 12:08
Hikelite, read the next post. I also thought that it would be false advertising to say that they were 100% rain proof on their website, but to tell customers that they weren't waterproof for real, so I called them too. They lady on the phone was absolutely emphatic that Driducks are made of proVent, proVent is absolutely 100% waterproof, and that Driducks wouldn't wet through, even in the hardest downpour.

-howie

hungryhowie
01-09-2005, 18:08
FYI,

I ordered a pair of DriDucks today: Khaki, size Medium. They were $30 (21 for the suit, 8 and change for the shipping). I'll give a little report when they come in.

-howie

Divining Rod
01-09-2005, 19:36
I'm using the Red Ledge Thunderlight parka.

cyclocrosser
01-10-2005, 16:28
I use a Red Ledge Thunder Light Jacket and Thunder Light Full Zip Pants. The jacket was $49.99 and the pants where $39.99 but the pants have a full length zipper on each leg that allows you to unzip them, put them on and go without taking off your boots or getting the inside of you pants all muddy when taking them off. They are extreamly breathable, light, and pack down nice and small. You cand find them at campmor.com

gravityman
01-10-2005, 17:18
We are LOVING our ID event jackets. At 10 oz for a XL and it breaths like a dream. Never owned a rain jacket that I could keep on for uphill climbs before. Amazing thing...

Gravity

Alligator
01-14-2005, 12:09
FYI,

I ordered a pair of DriDucks today: Khaki, size Medium. They were $30 (21 for the suit, 8 and change for the shipping). I'll give a little report when they come in.

-howie
Howie,

Is that a jacket and pants? It looks that way, but I just wanted to be sure. Please do give us an update.

Thanks.

Footslogger
01-14-2005, 12:36
Where did you both order that ID Event and DriDucks rainwear. I would like read more about them. I'm not locked in on the FroggToggs. Just seemed to be the best solution during my thru-hike in 2003.

Thanks in advance ...

'Slogger

hikerjohnd
01-14-2005, 12:42
I got my driducks in the mail on Monday. They fit well and seemed light (I forgot to weigh them) but I just could not keep them. They really felt like they would rip to shreds at the first hint of trouble. The papery feel of the fabric led me to believe they just could not be durable enough to take on a thru hike.
If you like driducks, Angler Supply has pretty good prices and excellent customer service!

--John:banana

Footslogger
01-14-2005, 13:05
I got my driducks in the mail on Monday. They fit well and seemed light (I forgot to weigh them) but I just could not keep them. They really felt like they would rip to shreds at the first hint of trouble. The papery feel of the fabric led me to believe they just could not be durable enough to take on a thru hike.
John:banana=======================================
That was exactly how I felt at first about the FroggToggs ...but amazingly enough, they held up (at least the jacket, since I sent the pants home shortly after bying them in Hot Springs during my thru-hike.

'Slogger
AT 2003

gravityman
01-14-2005, 15:10
Here's the direct link : http://www.prolitegear.com/integral_designs_event_jacket.html

It costs $220. Backpackinglight.com had a great review of jackets, and this one pretty much came out on top.

Gravity

Where did you both order that ID Event and DriDucks rainwear. I would like read more about them. I'm not locked in on the FroggToggs. Just seemed to be the best solution during my thru-hike in 2003.

Thanks in advance ...

'Slogger

Footslogger
01-14-2005, 15:17
Here's the direct link : http://www.prolitegear.com/integral_designs_event_jacket.html

It costs $220. Backpackinglight.com had a great review of jackets, and this one pretty much came out on top.

Gravity============================
Thanks ...ew, it's a tad pricey !!

'Slogger

Footslogger
01-14-2005, 15:26

Gravity===================================
Hey Gravity ...just curious. Have you gotten it totally soaked yet while you were out hiking ?? Reason I ask it that I already own the Peak Bagger by Sierra Designs. Looks very similar to this jacket, albeit a bit heavier. I started my thru with it in 2003. It was very breathable and great in a fog or light drizzle. But, we had a lot of rain that year (gross understatement) and I noticed that the outer nylon laminate "soaked out" after a while (even with a good coating of DWR). The actual nylon fabric doesn't absorb water but the fabric became coated and water got "trapped" in the weave. Once that happened it seemed to take a long time to dry out. That was the main reason I jumped at the FroggToggs when I hit Hot Springs. I wanted something that would shed water and NOT soak out. FroggToggs aren't perfect, but for the price they met my needs and if my memory serves correctly, the jacket weighs 8oz.

Anyway, thanks again for the info and I would be interested in your experience with the jacket under persistent downpour conditions.

'Slogger
AT 2003

gravityman
01-14-2005, 19:52
It's true that it is a tad "spendy" as we like to say. But comparable to a goretex jacket in price...

The breathability is, well, simply amazing.

As for the face fabric, I have not had it out in a heavy rain. I did stand in the shower with it for about 15 minutes with a heavy spray and it did not wet out at all. My experience with Serria Designs (Precip) is that their DWR really is pretty crappy and wets out very quickly. I imagine that even this jacket will need a DWR refresher every few washings (and ID even says so).

As for the breathability comparison, the eVent will be MUCH more breathable than what you had. The dirtly little secret for Gortex (and Genesis which is what the peak bagger is) is that it doesn't truly breath, but rather that it relies on the water condensing, being wicked through the WB layer, and then evaporating. Now imagine if the outside of the jacket has wetted out? There is no way water will wick outside. However, eVent is the real thing. It ACTUALLY breathes, although they call it "Direct Venting" in order to seperate it from Gortex. BTW Gortex tends to be significantly better than most other WB fabrics that try to copy it, especially the cheaper PU membranes that you find in Golite and the Precips.

If you are serious about getting a new jacket I strongly suggest a backpackinglight membership. THey have an amazing review of the jackets, and a good article explaining how all this WB fabrics work much better than I can, with charts and graphs and such.

Or you can just by the eVent. It's worth it! We have used it in pretty nasty winter weather above treeline, and it performed amazing. That's really why we got it was for winter backpacking/above tree line where the wind really makes a paper suit unconfortable. However, it works so well, why not use it all time time. I do had some concerns about the wetting out issue, but a simply DWR from Techwash should solve that problem if it comes up.

Gravity

Footslogger
01-14-2005, 20:27
Thanks for the reply Gravity. This stuff definitely sounds like a better choice than the Peak Bagger (Genesis, as you mentioned). Need a few other things for my gear locker first but I'm gonna keep this in mind for my next rain jacket.

Good point you bring up about the cold/wet wind and the paper like fabric of the FroggToggs. Only used mine on the AT in 2003 and never really had that combination of weather conditions. Had gobs of rain but the temps were generally moderate. Only time I work the FroggToggs in the cold weather was as a last ditch outer layer in cold weather but it was dry outside and I had on 2 - 3 under layers.

Thanks again ...

'Slogger

Singletrack
01-14-2005, 22:42
Hikelite, that is strange, she did tell me that the DriDucks were not waterproof, and would wet out. I was disappointed, because I thought maybe they might be worth trying out. And always looking to carry lighter gear. I will give them another call.

neo
01-15-2005, 00:49
summer get wet and drip dry
winter rain suit by brawny at dancing light gear:sun neo