PDA

View Full Version : Rain in the Smokies?

Daydream Believer
09-27-2010, 09:13
Here in my part of Virginia we finally got a nice soaking rain yesterday and last night. I was wondering how much rain the Smokies were getting? Does anyone know? I'm headed out in about 10 days for my section hike in that area and was wondering how much this rain would restore the Springs.

HikerRanky
09-27-2010, 09:35
Wouldn't count on it a lot. With it having been dry for some time now, any rain that falls will coat the ground, but not replenish the springs.

Today and Tuesday have rain in the forecast with Wednesday through Sunday drying back out....

Hope this helps, and have a great hike!

Randy

The Cleaner
09-27-2010, 09:46
I live in Greeneville TN,about 40 miles from GSMNP,and we have finally got some rain over the weekend.I was also out on the trail,Allen Gap to Big Butt,last Tue to Thur.Springs just barely flowing so I'm sure the rain has helped.I know there were dry springs on the Newfound Gap>Fontana section.You might get recent info from the Park Service HQ or try WBIR.com's weather page(Knoxville)also they have a great web cam view of the park...

sevensixtwo187
09-27-2010, 09:59
My son and I just came off the Balsam Mountain Trail on Saturday and we did so in a downpour for the last two miles from Beech Gap. It was a significant rainfall but I would agree that a great deal of it most likely ran off. Looks like it rained quite a bit there yesterday. We had good flow from the spring at the Laurel Gap shelter.

The Solemates
09-27-2010, 10:18
ive been in EU the past week and i sure i am looking forward to it NOT raining. i'll be hitting the smokies for a few days on the 9th - cant wait - maybe i'll see you out there!

Daydream Believer
09-27-2010, 13:00
Thanks all!

Solemates I hope to see you also but I'm starting at Winding Stair Gap on the 7th and heading North to I40...hopefully though our paths will cross. :-)

Well it is just pouring here. Dry as a bone most of the summer and now a gully washer. Flood warnings are up around our area. Crazy weather!