PDA

View Full Version : New Alcohol Stoves on the way

SMSP
09-27-2010, 11:50
I ordered some alcohol stoves today:From End2End – The Thru Hiker and Gram Weenie StoveFrom Brasslite - The Turbo I-DLooking forward to experimenting and trying to tweak my cooking set-up.I’ve been a canister user primarily, but am trying to make the switch since most of backpacking trips will be a few days at the most.What’s everybody else experience with these?SMSP

SMSP
09-27-2010, 11:52
Oops, copy/paste error

I ordered some alcohol stoves today:

From End2End – The Thru Hiker and Gram Weenie Stove
From Brasslite - The Turbo I-D

Looking forward to experimenting and trying to tweak my cooking set-up.
I’ve been a canister user primarily, but am trying to make the switch since most of backpacking trips will be a few days at the most.

What’s everybody else experience with these?

SMSP

Moose2001
09-27-2010, 12:11
Here's the right link to end2end: https://www.end2endtrailsupply.com/

All nice looking stoves. I still prefer my Trangia Westwind. A tad heavier but it's bullet proof, screw on cap for fuel storage....you don't have to worry about over or under filling fuel, and rock solid stand.

SMSP
09-27-2010, 14:29
Yeah, I have seen the Trangia as well, I will likely obtain one down the road as well.

SMSP

SMSP
10-01-2010, 23:51
I rec'd my End2End order today. Shipping time frame was excellent. The Thru Hiker Stove (THS) and the Gram Weenie Pro (GWP) are somewhat a work of art. Their quality is nice.

I went ahead and ordered their package deals. I like their fuel bottles being different colors and I could not find any around town with that type of flip-up spout in the lid. I decided to get their windscreens to see the difference in using foil and oven pans and such. And for just a few bucks more than the stoves themselves, one gets a fuel bottle and windscreen. So that was a no brainer fore me. I ordered the following:
The Thru Hiker Stove w/ 4oz bottle and 5.5” windscreen,
The Gram Weenie Stove w/ 2oz bottle and 3.5 windscreen,
1 extra 4oz bottle and 1 extra 2oz bottle.

Up till this point, I only owned a Vargo Decagon, which has a wider base, and can be a little tricky to fill, but has a lower height, which can get by with a shorter windscreen.

I use a left over cough syrup cup to measure my fuel. The cup has increments of 5ml, 7.5ml, 10ml, 12.5ml and 15ml. I used a cup that did not have a rolled outward lip and it would always drip as I filled the Decogon. A cup with a rolled outward lip prevents dripping and spilling while pouring into the stove.

I have been testing the THS w/ a Titan Kettle with 3 cups of water. Tap water was used, burns took place in the kitchen with a windscreen. The 1st run I used 45ml of alcohol and reached a rolling boil around 8'40” and a complete burn around 13”. The 2nd run I used 37.5ml of alcohol and reached a rolling boil around 8'50” and a complete burn around 10'40”. Looks like the sweet spot is around 30-35ml alcohol.

Runs with the GWP was with a SnowPeak 600 cup and a piece of foil as a lid. 2 cups of tap water were used along with a windscreen. The 1st run I used 15ml of alcohol and did not reach a rolling boil at around 5'-5'30”. I got distracted and didnt get a closer accurate time. Although I did not get a rolling boil, the water was definitely hot enough for tea, coffee, grits, oatmeal, etc... The 2nd run I used 30ml of alcohol and reached a rolling boil at around 6'10” and a complete burn around 8'45”. Looks like the sweet spot might be around 20-25ml of alcohol.

Anyway, I am pleased with these products so far and am looking forward to using them.

SMSP

russb
10-02-2010, 06:51
Though I named the Gram Weenie PRO stove, my go to stove is now the Fancee Feest. It can even be fashioned at home if you are even just a wee bit handy.