PDA

View Full Version : Mittens

10-K
09-27-2010, 15:10
Ok, winter is coming and this year I'm going to get me a pair of mittens.

Lots of choices - can anyone recommend a pair that are warm, lightweight and relatively inexpensive (under $75)?

I'm looking at these at the moment: http://www.backcountry.com/outdoor-research-pl-400-mitten-mens

kayak karl
09-27-2010, 15:16
they will get you to 25 degrees.maybe?

Moose2001
09-27-2010, 15:19
how about these? I've always liked the type that are a shell and the warmth layer. Gives you more options.

http://www.backcountry.com/outdoor-research-meteor-mitten

1azarus
09-27-2010, 15:39
...ok, 10k, i know i've developed a well-earned flake reputation. but... will you be wearing a lighter pair of gloves under these mittens? if so, a pair of fairly heavy wool socks over them makes a great multi-use mitten which provides warmth even when wet. thumb goes in the heel cup. and for really bad cold rain, plastic newspaper bags over the wool socks'll do the trick. this'll combination will work down to 0.

300winmag
09-30-2010, 20:36
Buy GTS mitten shells and a few different weights of pile/fleece liners for different temps or levels of exertion. Then you can remove the sweaty liners & dry them while using the 2nd pair of dry liners.

Works for me with both mittens and gloves. I'm a ski patroller and need to have dry liners available in my fanny pack.

300winmag
09-30-2010, 20:36
I meant GTX (Gore-Tex) shells. Sorry for the typo.

Raul Perez
09-30-2010, 20:50
I picked up the meteor mitts on campmor a month ago looking forward to testing them out in the deep winter

Mags
09-30-2010, 22:46
Wool liner Gloves and OR Shell Mitts.

Find that this combo keeps me warm in all but the absolute coldest temps (esp while moving). If I need to, I carry some thicker wool mitts for a toasty inner layer.

Lyle
09-30-2010, 22:51
Agree fully with Mags. Was just going to write the same thing.

My combination was ragg wool gloves and nylon shell mittens. Cheap, somewhat light, very versatile, and very warm when used together.

garlic08
09-30-2010, 23:07
I'm the last person to make gear, but I actually made a useful pair of mitts. I found a real cheap pair for about a dollar at a resale shop. I cut out the crappy liner and made a good liner out of a remnant of Polartec fleece. That was even easy enough for me to make--outline your hand, cut and sew. They make an excellent pair of mitts that I've worn all day skiing down to -25, especially with a glove liner as noted above. No need to spend that kind of money.

stumpknocker
10-01-2010, 08:22
I own a $130.00 pair of Black Diamond mitts that don't keep my hands as warm as a $10.00 pair of rag wool mitts which are lined with thinsulate lining in the finger box. Been using the rag wool mitts on all my cold weather walks for about four or five years now. I even use the rag wool mitts when I'm riding my bicycle in the winter and they work great. :)

Skidsteer
10-01-2010, 08:30
I go with the wool gloves/shell mitts as well. Very versatile.

Mags
10-01-2010, 09:45
...and a great place to get wool liner gloves is your local surplus store.

I've been using these for almost a decade now:

http://www.vtarmynavy.com/wool-glove-liners.htm

My mitts aren't as inexpensive as Garlic's, but I did buy the lower end shell mitts for $30.

So, don't think you have to spend a lot of money to have warm and dry hands. :)

(And the thicker wool mitts were less than $20)

GlazeDog
10-01-2010, 09:50
10-K,
I think those mittens look great. Especially if you add liners and shells to your overall gear list--then when hiking switch out the various elements via mail drops as you head north and conditions change. I have a pair of (I think they're called) OR Magic Mitts from a few years back--similar product--love them. I've hiked down to the teens with them--while moving they're plenty warm and in camp I just tuck my hands under the edge of my down sweater. Good luck.