PDA

View Full Version : ATC Changes Name to...

SavageLlama
12-02-2004, 09:59
The ATC is now the Appalachian Trail Conservancy.

Trail-protection group changes name

December 1, 2004
Associated Press Newswires (http://javascript<b></b>:NewWindow(%20'FIISrcDetails','?from=article&ids=aprs');void(0);)

HARPERS FERRY, W.Va. (AP) - A group devoted to maintaining the 2,174 miles of the Appalachian Trail has chosen a new name to better reflect its mission.
On July 4, 2005, the Appalachian Trail Conference will become the Appalachian Trail Conservancy.

In a letter posted on the group's Web site, Chairman Brian T. Fitzgerald said the group has outgrown its previous name, adopted in 1925 when it was mainly a coordinator of clubs.

"Simply put, our new name ... is a much better fit for our responsibility to protect and promote one of the most biologically and culturally diverse units of the national park system," Fitzgerald said.

The trail has been part of the national park system since 1968 and draws about 2 million hikers a year, including about 500 who travel its entire length over several months

Harpers Ferry, headquarters for the conference, is considered the psychological halfway point for through-hikers. Technically, though, it's about 80 miles shy: The actual halfway point is between the Tagg Run and Toms Run shelters near Gardners, Pa.

"We've earned the right to proudly declare that we -- all of us who work tirelessly to maintain the trail's pristine 2,174 miles from Maine to Georgia -- are focused on preserving America's premier hiking experience for the next 80 years," Fitzgerald said.

The name change passed with a 23-1 vote on Nov. 20, with one abstention.

------

On the Net: ATC: http://www.appalachiantrail.org/about/index.html

Lone Wolf
12-02-2004, 10:01
Old news...

SavageLlama
12-02-2004, 10:06
yeah, I just saw this was posted yesterday in another forum. Too many forums.

Ridge
12-02-2004, 22:15
The ATC is now the Appalachian Trail Conservancy.

I guess the Appalachian Trail Conservancy will now be called the ATC.

smokymtnsteve
12-02-2004, 23:14
Appalachian Trail Controversy

hacksaw
12-03-2004, 01:13
I thought it was just me.....

Doctari
12-03-2004, 01:32
I am so NOT impressed.

In my experience, when an organization changes it's name it is: trying to impress someone, or trying to hide something.

Usually the Only ones it impresses is the few OVERPAID people involved with changing the name. If hiding something, it's usually an illegal activity. (Hint: beware when a nursing home changes it’s name, especially if they do so 2 times in one week.)

I wonder which of these applies to the ATC “or whatever they are called this week”. I wonder!

Doctari.

Jack Tarlin
12-03-2004, 18:56
Doctari--

I have to disagree with you.

I don't think the organization is trying to hide anything, nor trying to impress anyone.

I think they've made it very clear why this process was embarked on, and their explanation is fairly simple: They wish to improve their organization; to make it more efficient, useful, and productive; and to give folks a clearer idea of what they're all about.

More information on this can be found in recent issues of their magazine, the Appalachian Trailway News, or, you can find out more on their website (www.atconf.org)

Organizations that refuse to change, try new directions, or strive to improve themselves tend to stagnate, and in some cases, they wither away. I think the folks in Harper's Ferry realized this, and they hope to move their organization in a new, and positive direction. Only time will tell if this actually happens, and I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

The best thing we can do as hikers and as folks who care about the Trail, is to keep an open mind, wait and see what changes and new direction the ATC takes, and most important, whatever they call themselves, we can continue to support their work: Some of the ways to do this: Support them finanically thru memberships, gifts, other donations. Support them thru volunteer work if one is in a poisition to do so. Support them by becoming a Trail Maintainer, or by joining a maintaining club.

I will confess that when I first heard about the name-change thing, I was skeptical....I simply wasn't sure it was necessary. Now that I've read more, and found out about WHY this was decided on, I've had a change of heart. I'm excited to see what direction the "new" ATC heads in, and I'll continue to support them wherever they go.

MOWGLI
12-03-2004, 19:07
Usually the Only ones it impresses is the few OVERPAID people involved with changing the name.

When an organization undergoes Strategic Planning, they often hire a consultant to assist with the process. Startegic Planning is an important tool that all kinds of organization use to help them hone their focus.

Many times, the Staff or Directors of a non-profit are too close to the organization, and therefore, they need some assitance to help facilitate the process of change. I think its unfair to drop the "overpaid" charge in this case. The ATC is responding to some very real threats to their resource. Sprawl, air pollution, motorized use, and an ever increasing number of hikers all threaten the trail they are charged with protecting.

The ATC is run by a very competent and dedicated group of Professionals and Volunteers. Far too many folks are focusing on the name change. If you know anything about the folks who work in the field, you know that they are probably UNDERPAID, and deserving of our support.

Doctari
12-04-2004, 08:13
Doctari--

I have to disagree with you.

I don't think the organization is trying to hide anything, nor trying to impress anyone.

I think they've made it very clear why this process was embarked on, and their explanation is fairly simple: They wish to improve their organization; to make it more efficient, useful, and productive; and to give folks a clearer idea of what they're all about.

Yea, you are probably right. My reaction is from experience with nursing homes (see my post) that I have delt with for years, 90% of the time the reason a NH changes names is truely to prevent prosicution for multiple patient care violations (read: the "He** holes" change names every 2 to 3 years) & the "Name change" usually means Owner #1 "Sells" to his/her partner whan issued a citation, "New" owner changes the name, clames to need more time to fix the problems, gets a year or so extension, & the problems NEVER get fixed.

And, several places (Hospitals) I worked at changed names literally with the words "to impress the community" after reading the newspaper accounts the only ones who were impressed were the 5 people who decided to change the name. One lost so much business because of the name change, they closed within 2 years.

So that is my reason for reacting so, hope I'm wrong. Well, that and I'm Still mad at what the ATC did to Earl Shaffer.

Doctari.

Lone Wolf
12-04-2004, 08:37
What the ATC do to Earl Shaffer?

Doctari
12-05-2004, 00:20
What the ATC do to Earl Shaffer?

Earl was the first to do what we now think of as a thru hike of the AT, well documented, etc.

A few years ago, someone "suddenly remembered" HE had hiked the AT a few years before Earl. NO one else rememberd this hike, there is NO documentation, NO newspaper accounts, No journal, nothing! This FAKER couldnt even remember any names of the ones he had supposedly hiked with for 6 months.

With all of this non existant evidence, the ATC naturally, on the front page of the newsletter, published that Earl wasn't the first thru hiker. They stuck to this lie untill AFTER Earl died, then a few months after Earl died buried deep in the newsletter, a very tiny "well, maybe he was the first SOLO hiker".

They couldn't even admit they were wrong. The poor man died thinking the records would show this imposter in the place rightfully owned by Earl.

That is why I will never respect the ATC, no matter how many times they change their name.

My $0.02 for what it's worth.

MOWGLI
12-05-2004, 08:14
Earl was the first to do what we now think of as a thru hike of the AT, well documented, etc.

A few years ago, someone "suddenly remembered" HE had hiked the AT a few years before Earl. NO one else rememberd this hike, there is NO documentation, NO newspaper accounts, No journal, nothing! This FAKER couldnt even remember any names of the ones he had supposedly hiked with for 6 months.

With all of this non existant evidence, the ATC naturally, on the front page of the newsletter, published that Earl wasn't the first thru hiker. They stuck to this lie untill AFTER Earl died, then a few months after Earl died buried deep in the newsletter, a very tiny "well, maybe he was the first SOLO hiker".

They couldn't even admit they were wrong. The poor man died thinking the records would show this imposter in the place rightfully owned by Earl.

That is why I will never respect the ATC, no matter how many times they change their name.

My $0.02 for what it's worth.

Boy, you sure are hurling a bunch of charges out there. Who are you to accuse "somone" who you don't even know of lying?

First of all, it was a group of 6 Boy Scouts, Max Gordon, Seymour Dorfman, Louis Zisk, and three other unnamed hikers from Boy Scout Troop 257 in the Bronx. Secondly, the press ain't necessarily going to be interested in a walk through the woods, regardless of its length. My good friend was the first to thru-hike the North Country Trail, as part of a walk across America, and he did it with a blind woman - pushing here in a wheelchair for several hundred of those miles. Where was the press with that hike? Is my friend a liar because there were no newspaper accounts of his hike?

Thirdly, the group of scouts hiked in 1936, and it became known in the early 90s. Regarding the names of the folks he hiked with, can you remember the names of the folks you were in scouting with 30 years ago? I can't. I can remember one name - Tim Metz (the Scout Leaders son) - and we did tons of things together. Heck, I can't remember most of the folks names that I hiked with 4 years ago. Does that make me a liar too? This guy was elderly, and there is absolutely no reason to believe that he is lying. In fact, the ATC didn't believe he was lying. Thats why the scouts are listed as 2000-milers.

IMO, that's one of the problems with the AT community. People get way too wrapped up about what other people do. "He cheated!!" "I know that so & so blue blazed a good bit of the trail, so they're not a thru-hiker." Get a grip! It's a freakin' trail, not an olympic sporting event!

In my opinion, the ATC should immediately get out of the certificate & patch business. Let a group like ALDHA handle that unimportant & insignificant aspect of the AT if they want. It's costly, time consuming, and does nothing to protect the trail for future generations. All it seems to do is give the organization grief from time to time.

Lone Wolf
12-05-2004, 08:49
Earl blue-blazed off Mt. Washington down the Tuckerman Ravine trail to Pinkham.