PDA

View Full Version : getting lost?

stonedflea
09-28-2010, 10:45
i've been doing a lot of readin' & researchin' here lately, and a common problem that i'm seeing between books and blogs is getting off trail.

i've not done long sections of the AT. how sparse are the blazes? why is it such a common problem to find oneself off trail? do you think it's just hiker error in not paying attention, or do you think that maybe it's a legitimate concern?

i know there are some alternate routes such as blue blazes, etc. but in the book i just finished, a guy walked for four miles along a highway that ran parallel to the AT. how is that even possible?

how many of y'all have found yourself off the trail? did weather conditions & poor visibility have a role in it, or were you just lost in "hiking mode" and noticed that you hadn't seen a blaze in a while?

going off trail in bad weather is one of my biggest concerns about my thru-hike... i'm just trying to find out the best way to prevent it before i head out. :)

kayak karl
09-28-2010, 11:06
for me its when i daydream. i tend to wander off a lot.

Deadeye
09-28-2010, 11:15
I think what you're seeing is the small percentage of people with problems doing a large percentage of the talking. It's the same as the one bear attack getting all the news, while the 20,000 other hikers go quietly about their business. Sure, here and there the trail might be difficult to follow, especially in areas where there's active logging, etc., but generally it's as easy to follow as the sidewalk.

Blissful
09-28-2010, 11:34
I took a wrong turn on a mt just north of Mt Greylock and was hiking the trail northbound instead of south. But there are many places the blazes are very faint or non existent, esp for southbounders. I found maps essential for my southbound hike this year (and also with the water situation, to find water sources).

Pedaling Fool
09-28-2010, 11:35
Learn to use a map and compass. I’ve been lost primarily due to lack of attention, but also bad weather on occasion. There are some sections where the blazing is lacking (I remember most problems in SW Virginia, but can happen anywhere). However, maps are sometimes useless in the short-term and it’s best to just walk around looking for the white blaze.
A couple examples of where a map and compass was needed and where they were useless and I just had to look for a blaze.

Map and Compass needed:
In Pennsylvania I walked off the trail, I suspected I was off the trail, but was certain once I arrived to an abandoned farm house which had a locked gate I had to climb to get to the road. (I was off the AT, but it was a trail – not on the map – that led me to this point). I got my map out and compass and figured out which road I was at (later confirmed by road signs) used the compass to verify which direction I should walk and eventually found the trail – about 5 miles later. (I could have backtracked, but I was already into it, so I just used the compass and map).

Map and compass was a waste of time:
Somewhere in NC/Tn I knew I was on the AT and came to an intersection which wasn’t on the map. (Note: when you’ve been hiking for a while without use of a map – which everyone does – it’s hard to locate yourself on the map without a good reference point). This point was a classic "T" intersection. In front of me was a field with a path, then there was a trail that crossed the AT I was on. So should I go straight or right/left? I was with someone else so we split up looking for a blaze. We never saw one, but I ran into some SOBO’ers and asked them: "Is this the AT?" They said, "We’re pretty sure". That was good enough for me so I went back and said this is the way…Turns out the correct way was right at the intersection, then a quick left after that.

The times weather (for me) was an issue were in rocky places above treeline.

P.S. A map and compass on the AT is very useful when you get off trail, but that’s not the real purpose to have them.

Spokes
09-28-2010, 11:44
For the most part the AT is well blazed. There are exceptions.

The thing that struck me is how easily you can tell the "leadership level" of the various trail clubs when you thru-hike. You become very adept at figuring out which clubs are maintaining their sections and blazes and those that don't.

garlic08
09-28-2010, 11:55
According to the ATC website (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.mqLTIYOwGlF/b.4805401/k.8865/About_the_Trail.htm) there are about 165,000 white blazes on the AT. Do the math. It's pretty hard to get lost. That being said, there are a few places where a key blaze is not there (a tree falls, a vandal strikes) and it's possible to get confused for a few minutes.

I never lost the trail on my AT hike. I tend to stay alert and oriented and never have a problem staying on trails. Others aren't as focused and frequently have little adventures along the way, and that's OK too.

One trick I employ, especially when I'm hiking off trail, is to set my watch to chime every hour. Then I sit down and mark my best guess at my position on my map, along with the time. Then I compare it to the last few such marks to make sure I'm on track and setting my expected pace. That might help prevent getting lost due to daydreaming on the AT, if you're prone to that.

Pedaling Fool
09-28-2010, 12:09
According to the ATC website (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.mqLTIYOwGlF/b.4805401/k.8865/About_the_Trail.htm) there are about 165,000 white blazes on the AT. Do the math. It's pretty hard to get lost. That being said, there are a few places where a key blaze is not there (a tree falls, a vandal strikes) and it's possible to get confused for a few minutes.

I never lost the trail on my AT hike. I tend to stay alert and oriented and never have a problem staying on trails. Others aren't as focused and frequently have little adventures along the way, and that's OK too.

One trick I employ, especially when I'm hiking off trail, is to set my watch to chime every hour. Then I sit down and mark my best guess at my position on my map, along with the time. Then I compare it to the last few such marks to make sure I'm on track and setting my expected pace. That might help prevent getting lost due to daydreaming on the AT, if you're prone to that.
I wonder how they come up with that number? I would not be surprised if they just use a standard distance between blazes and do the math. But we all know there is no standard distance.

I said in my post no one ever keeps track of their position on the map while hiking. I stand corrected.;)

...That might help prevent getting lost due to daydreaming on the AT, if you're prone to that.
Too much work that will intrude upon my daydreaming.:D

P.S. I'm not complaining about the blazing of the trail, just sharing what I've seen. I accept full responsibility for every time I was lost -- it's the cost of daydreaming:sun

Bati
09-28-2010, 12:13
The weather has played a large part in it for me. Not only will be there times when you're hiking after sundown or in thick fog or driving rain trying to make it to a shelter, but if you're likely to encounter some snow. The snow will cover any blazes on the ground and may make it very difficult to see blazes on the trees (up North, it will completely bury the blazes as the trees are only marked for summer hiking). In addition, blowdowns and, less-commonly, washed-out bridges can force you off the trail and make it difficult to figure out where it continues.

Good map and compass skills are extremely beneficial in the snow, and any other time that you can't actually stay on the trail. At least the map can help you tell where you can start searching to reconnect with the trail. If you're planning on starting down South when snow is a possibility, take both and know how to use them. I never would have made it out of Georgia without them.

juma
09-28-2010, 12:13
I am always especially alert and careful at intersections or clearings of any kind. The rest of the time, I'm in the zone and following the path....

weary
09-28-2010, 12:17
i've been doing a lot of readin' & researchin' here lately, and a common problem that i'm seeing between books and blogs is getting off trail.

i've not done long sections of the AT. how sparse are the blazes? why is it such a common problem to find oneself off trail? do you think it's just hiker error in not paying attention, or do you think that maybe it's a legitimate concern?

i know there are some alternate routes such as blue blazes, etc. but in the book i just finished, a guy walked for four miles along a highway that ran parallel to the AT. how is that even possible?

how many of y'all have found yourself off the trail? did weather conditions & poor visibility have a role in it, or were you just lost in "hiking mode" and noticed that you hadn't seen a blaze in a while?

going off trail in bad weather is one of my biggest concerns about my thru-hike... i'm just trying to find out the best way to prevent it before i head out. :)
I get off the trail occasionally, though I don't remember weather conditions ever being to blame. Mostly I'm just day dreaming (thinking) and not following the blazes, or the well-worn footpath.

Usually I guess which direction the trail is likely to be and head there. If I were wise I would backtrack until I again see a blaze. But one way or another the AT tends to be quickly found.

My advice is not to worry about getting lost. It will rarely be for more than a minute or two, and if it's longer you'll enjoy telling the story for years afterwards.

Always carry a map and compass and acquire at least a cursory knowledge about how to use them. They are useful in trail finding, and in avoiding swamps, bogs and steep cliffs.

But regardless, the trail runs through some of the most heavily populated and well roaded country in the nation. You won't be lost for long.

Weary

kayak karl
09-28-2010, 12:29
people want to blame the blazes. i've hiked 100ft stepping over branches and cursing all the way only to realize somebody blocked this common trail mistake. people only post about getting lost, not backtracking and finding THEIR mistake. even in 12" of snow the trail still stands out.

10-K
09-28-2010, 12:37
people want to blame the blazes. i've hiked 100ft stepping over branches and cursing all the way only to realize somebody blocked this common trail mistake. people only post about getting lost, not backtracking and finding THEIR mistake. even in 12" of snow the trail still stands out.

I got a chuckle out of this - I'm glad I'm not the only one thats done this.

I've went a lot further than a hundred feet before though. And of course it's usually downhill so when I finally figure out what I've done I've got to trudge back up the mountain.

I think it's safe to say that on the AT you can get confused, turned around or not know which way to go but you'd have to really work-work-work to get truly lost.

couscous
09-28-2010, 12:41
"..a guy walked for four miles along a highway that ran parallel to the AT. how is that even possible?"
* I enjoyed his book.. met him at Trail Days this year. His hike would have been less stressful if he had stopped and returned to the previous blaze each time he hiked 5-10 minutes without seeing another blaze. After leaving Hot Springs he crossed the French Broad River and didn't notice he needed to hop over the guardrail where the AT goes south .. so he continued northeast on US 25/70 until he got to Tanyard Gap where the AT crosses over US 25/70 again.

chelko
09-28-2010, 13:04
Most trail juctions are marked pretty well with a double blaze alerting you to a turn in the trail. My biggest problem has been at road crossings where the trail spills onto a road and then continues on the other side but 100 yards up the road or so. Refer to the trail guide for crossings to be aware of that day and you should be OK

peakbagger
09-28-2010, 13:24
I think the "day dream" effect is quite a big factor. I have encountered many folks with and without headphones on walking along the trail towards me, that are completely lost to the world. I will start out with saying Hi and if they dont respond, sometimes I have to repeat it a bit louder. On occasion they suddenly "wake up" and act obviously startled, and usually say "sorry you startled me".

If they dont see someone walking towards them with a backpack on, I dont see how they are going to not miss a blaze on occasion especially in areas where the trail diverges off of logging roads.

garlic08
09-28-2010, 13:50
I wonder how they come up with that number? I would not be surprised if they just use a standard distance between blazes and do the math. But we all know there is no standard distance.

I actually met the guy who counted them! In '02, Blaze (I wonder how he got that name?) counted over 82,000 NOBO blazes. I guess they extrapolated from there and rounded up to get their number. He wore out three of those little clickers on his hike.

Serial 07
09-28-2010, 17:25
i would venture to say, pretty much everybody on a successful thru hike will get lost at least once...

mweinstone
09-28-2010, 17:40
the chair reconizes the speaker from damascus.my name is not important. the fact is i am the leading cause of lost. i pioneered lost. lost called, it said,"wheres matthewski? he cant be found can he?" then lost hung up cause im a lost cause. i tell direction by confirming all possible wrong directions first. direction tells me to give it up. me and direction have an unhappy difunctional marrage. the secret my friends all know, like smarty pants from damascus, is that matthewski cant find the east coast. mattheski forgot his name once. matthewski is lost. the lost you guys all know is just a cheap impostor who in fact is found each night. i on the other hand rise walk and sleep a long distance hike rarely knowing what state im in but for state line days. and i lost my mind. imagine. you might think because the mind is incased in hardened skullbone with no way out but the eyes ,nose and ears and mouth and butt and weiner hole and posssibly my pinky cause its all stabbed up from lanchets. so in fact, for my mind to have escaped , and long ago at that,thru such orify,...must have been very small to begin with. so not much lost. unlike my hikes.

ki0eh
09-28-2010, 17:50
I actually met the guy who counted them! In '02, Blaze (I wonder how he got that name?) counted over 82,000 NOBO blazes. I guess they extrapolated from there and rounded up to get their number. He wore out three of those little clickers on his hike.

They must have assumed there are 1,000 more southbound blazes than northbound. :D

JAK
09-28-2010, 18:41
I try to make it a point to get lost at least once per trip. Usuallly just turned around in my head, but still on the trail. Sometimes just wandered off a little bit, and then back on. Sometimes I do a little bushwacking, and things more or less work out. Sometime I get totally messed up, good and lost, usually when I am on some sort of a schedule and or delayed by ground conditions, like deeper snow, or thicker woods than expected if I'm bushwacking, or more rugged terrain if I am doing an alternative trail for the first time. So then I go some sort of a gamble to make up time, and then spin into some sort of denial mode for awhile, that's when things start to get really fun. Lightly lost at least once per trip, just a taste, but serious ****ed up lost at least once a year. Good times.

I'm actually getting pretty good at it. It's like anything. Takes practice to do it right. ;)

JAK
09-28-2010, 18:46
You develop alot of self-awareness by getting yourself lost.
You learn when you can trust yourself, and when you can't.
Most times you are somewhere in between.
Sometimes you just need to stop and make some tea and have yourself a nice chat.
Other times you need to take yourself out behind the woodshed.

Pedaling Fool
09-29-2010, 10:04

I actually met the guy who counted them! In '02, Blaze (I wonder how he got that name?) counted over 82,000 NOBO blazes.
That kind of proves my theory of doing simple math, because every SOBO'er I've talked to says there's only about 20 blazes between Katahdin and Springer:D

sbhikes
09-29-2010, 14:52
I've gotten lost due to snow and motorcycle tracks. But neither of those were on the AT.

It seems to me that as long as you have some kind of navigational aid, it should be easy to stay on course or get back on course if you get off. On the hike I did from Santa Barbara to the PCT I used a map, but I still got lost due to motorcycle tracks. Severely lost.

On the PCT itself, I used a book of landmarks with distances. I'd keep track using my watch. I knew my pace pretty well so I would estimate what time it would be when I got to the next landmark. At that time, I'd look for the landmark. I also knew where I was going. For example, I knew I was going to Lake XYZ so if I saw a sign for Lake XYZ but it didn't specifically say PCT, I knew it was the right way. I guess you don't have to do that on the AT though.

I also got really used to what the PCT tread looked like, so much that it had like a personality to me so if the trail didn't look like its personality, I figured I went the wrong way. This actually worked a lot.

LIhikers
09-30-2010, 10:37
My wife and I wandered off the trail in PA.
We were in the middle of a conversation and followed "the other" white blazes without really looking at them. You know, the marking of hunting land, or state forest, or whatever it is they mark with white paint on trees. We realized we were misplaced when we found ourselves knee deep in brush with no real visible trail. To get back to the AT it was just a matter of walking uphill from where we were.

Long feet
09-30-2010, 12:32
On my last trip on the AT I got really lost on my first night. I got a late start and was trying to get in some miles in the dark. It started raining really hard and within a couple of hours I found myself off the trail. I bumbled around for over an hour first looking for the trail and then a camp site. Visibility was really bad so I tucked in for the night and waited for daylight. I often get a little bit turned around hiking, but never that bad. I used the GPS on my iPhone to find my position. Everyone keeps saying that all you need is a compass and a map, however you can't find your location in a pine forest if you can't see multiple landmarks at the same time. For most of trail this is not easily done.

Long story short. If you night hike in a rain storm you will get lost ;-)

Blissful
09-30-2010, 12:35
They must have assumed there are 1,000 more southbound blazes than northbound. :D

Trust me, there aren't. I have a neck cramp from having to look northward... :)

SassyWindsor
09-30-2010, 20:00
I find it difficult to believe one could get off the AT (lost) easily. I guess in downpours, whiteouts or at night one could. If you walk an hour without seeing a blaze you have probably done just that, backtrack and try again.

10-K
09-30-2010, 21:39
Everyone keeps saying that all you need is a compass and a map, however you can't find your location in a pine forest if you can't see multiple landmarks at the same time. For most of trail this is not easily done.

A GPS is nice, but you can really can do a lot with a map and compass. More than you would think if you've been paying attention to where you're going.

I do like the firm comfirmation of that a GPS gives, epecially since I'm only beginning to get comfortable with my map/compass skills.

kolokolo
09-30-2010, 22:11
I got lost last winter going southbound between Snicker's Gap and Manassas Gap. There was about 14" of snow on the ground, and a blowdown across the trail. Footprints in the snow indicated that the trail turned before the blowdown, but led about a half a mile to a parking lot. There was snow on the trees, and I walked back and forth over about a quarter mile of trail at least ten times before I found the trail again. I was really starting to doubt that I would find the trail, and I was ready to just hike back through the parking lot to the road.