PDA

View Full Version : glassmine gap/long branch trail

B.B.
09-28-2010, 11:02
I had read on here a while back that there are nice camping spots on Long Branch Trail just a short distance from the AT at Glassmine Gap (NC). I read that they are along Long Branch Creek. My question is what kind of creek is this. I know water right now is dried up in some places along here on the AT, and was wondering if it is a substantial creek that might likely have water or not. I really havent found any mention of this being a potential water source on maps and guide books.

springerfever
09-28-2010, 16:00
This is an excellent source of water year round. Just before the major climb up to Glassmine, you will come across an area with numerous campsites with the creek to the right. Can not imagine this creek ever running dry. Approximately 6-8 ft wide (at maximum) with depth in pools approx 1 -2 ft. Enjoy your hike and give us a report !!

daddytwosticks
09-28-2010, 16:08
Agree w/springerfever...can't imagine this creek going dry. :)

solobip
09-28-2010, 16:12
The camp site is about a mile (.8+/-) down from Glassine Gap Large area. About 1.5 miles from the Wildnerness Info Center on Long Branch Trail. Agree, the river will not run out.

B.B.
09-28-2010, 20:00
Thanks everyone. That was what I kind of thought, but just wanted it verified. Looks like it may be one of the best water sources along there.