PDA

View Full Version : Panther Creek/Cohutta question

scott bonder
09-28-2010, 12:39
My family and I are getting into backpacking. I am returning to it now that the kids are old enough to hike (5 and 7). We did a few pretty strenous trails at FDR Park (Pine Mountain, Georgia). But, Pine Mountain is just not that scenic or interesting for the kids.

So, I want to take them to Panther Creek or Jacks River. Jack's River may be a bit much since we have to cross the river. Panther Creek seems perfect, but I am wondering how far the trail is to a decent campsite. I would like to set up camp then hike to the falls and back.

Any information on the Panther Creek Trail would be greatly appreciated.

solobip
09-28-2010, 12:55
I would not take the young ones on Panther Creek Trail it is steep. Try the Conasaga River Trail, from Betty Gap trail head to the river camp site that is about 4-1/2 miles. You will cross about 20 creeks or streams, and the campsite is beautiful. It is right past the Panther Creek trail intersection. Have fun.

scott bonder
09-28-2010, 15:04
4.5 miles may be a bit long for the kids. any thought on something a bit closer?

solobip
09-28-2010, 15:51
Why not the A.T. Neels Gap to Hog Pen Gap total 6.8 Camp half way at Wolf Laurel. Beautiful grassy out crop Usually a day hike, but is rocky and the kids will love it. Or a back and out Neel to Wolf Laural back to Neels.

solobip
09-28-2010, 15:53
AT mile • 30.5 Neels Gap (3125 ft), paved US 19/129 with parking at Byron Reese Memorial north on highway. Walasi-Yi Center has hiker supplies, equipment and hostel available on first come, first serve basis.

AT mile • 33.9 Wolf Laurel Top (3766 ft) with campsite and views to right in clearing.

And Welcome to White Blaze!

scott bonder
09-28-2010, 16:29
Thanks. I will look at those trails.

Skidsteer
09-28-2010, 18:11
My family and I are getting into backpacking. I am returning to it now that the kids are old enough to hike (5 and 7). We did a few pretty strenous trails at FDR Park (Pine Mountain, Georgia). But, Pine Mountain is just not that scenic or interesting for the kids.

So, I want to take them to Panther Creek or Jacks River. Jack's River may be a bit much since we have to cross the river. Panther Creek seems perfect, but I am wondering how far the trail is to a decent campsite. I would like to set up camp then hike to the falls and back.

Any information on the Panther Creek Trail would be greatly appreciated.

Which Panther Creek trail do you mean? The one off 441 just South of Clayton?

If so, it is not steep and would be easy for kids. You can camp right at the falls and several places along the way.

scott bonder
09-28-2010, 19:11
Ah ha. That must be the source of my confusion. Is the one you refer to part of the cohutta? Where is the trail head?

Skidsteer
09-28-2010, 20:03
Ah ha. That must be the source of my confusion. Is the one you refer to part of the cohutta? Where is the trail head?

No, the one I'm talking about is nowhere close to the Cohuttas. It's in the Chattahoochee NF just South of Clayton, GA. Access is just off Hwy. 441.

Skidsteer
09-28-2010, 20:37
No, the one I'm talking about is nowhere close to the Cohuttas. It's in the Chattahoochee NF just South of Clayton, GA. Access is just off Hwy. 441.

Here's a map link (http://www.trails.com/topomap.aspx?trailid=HGD175-026).

The trail head is in the Panther Creek picnic area.

scott bonder
09-28-2010, 21:33
thank you!! that is where we will go. The guide book i have "Hiking Trails of Georgia" says it is a non-camping trail, but the trails.com guide reviews all say camping is okay. Book is older than the reviews, so guess I'll go with your advice and the reviews.

Skidsteer
09-28-2010, 21:48
thank you!! that is where we will go. The guide book i have "Hiking Trails of Georgia" says it is a non-camping trail, but the trails.com guide reviews all say camping is okay. Book is older than the reviews, so guess I'll go with your advice and the reviews.

Camping is fine. Went there a couple Winters ago with Bulldawg and Two Speed and camped at the falls.

Just so you know, there are some pretty shoals about 2/3 of the way in but the actual falls are farther on. Both are worth the hike. There is one short stretch before the falls where there is a sharp drop-off on the river side of the trail. The trail is not particularly steep and there are cable guardrails installed but watch the kids through there. It's only @ 50-75 yards as I recall.

Enjoy.

max patch
09-28-2010, 22:02
Panther Creek is a nice hike with the waterfall a nice reward at the end; be aware that its about a 3 1/2 mile hike.

jesse
09-28-2010, 22:18
Scott, The Panther Creek Falls (in the Cohutta Wilderness) is one of my favorite places on the planet. Park at Three Forks Mountain Trailhead. Take the East Cowpen Trail until it intersects the Panther Creek Falls Trail about 2.5 miles. The Panther Creek Falls trail is a couple of miles long and fairly steep, but worth it. There are several tent sites along the creek prior to the falls. This trail brings you to the top of the falls. There is a trail to hike down and get good views. BTW, don't tell anyone, we want keep this place a secret. Total distance about 5 miles, (10 roundtrip).

scott bonder
09-29-2010, 14:25
very cool, thank you. I will keep the cohutta panther creek in mind as they get older.