PDA

View Full Version : Perfect time of year for you Guiness drinkers

Thumper 2006
12-02-2004, 11:59
I have a problem. The problem is that since i have been in college I have developed a taste for expensive beer. With that said, this time of year especially for backpackers when you can put your beer in the river and let it get cold. If you are a Guiness fan like myself, go to the store before your weekend excursion and pick up six of em put them in the top of your pack and enjoy the night with Guiness in hand. The river gets the beer extra cold and makes it perfect for drinking. Makes a cool picture too.

Lone Wolf
12-02-2004, 12:04
You ain't spose to drink Guiness cold. Pabst Blue Ribbon should be ice cold though. :)

jlb2012
12-02-2004, 12:40
PBR should be poured back into the horse it came from

Alligator
12-02-2004, 13:33
Guinness has two n's! Wolf has it right. It is suggested to be served in the near 55 F. Pub draft beers such as these were typically stored in the basement. Drinking a stout cold like that masks the flavors.

steve hiker
12-02-2004, 15:43
If you are a Guiness fan like myself, go to the store before your weekend excursion and pick up six of em put them in the top of your pack and enjoy the night with Guiness in hand.
Hike with a 6-pack of beer in your pack? I don't guess you're exactly an ultralite backpacker, are you? :-?

Blue Jay
12-02-2004, 15:53
Hike with a 6-pack of beer in your pack? I don't guess you're exactly an ultralite backpacker, are you? :-?

Big deal, a pound a piece. It's sad no one can carry weight (other than their own fat) anymore. Arnold is right, we're becoming a nation of girlymen.

weary
12-02-2004, 16:32
I have a problem. The problem is that since i have been in college I have developed a taste for expensive beer. With that said, this time of year especially for backpackers when you can put your beer in the river and let it get cold. If you are a Guiness fan like myself, go to the store before your weekend excursion and pick up six of em put them in the top of your pack and enjoy the night with Guiness in hand. The river gets the beer extra cold and makes it perfect for drinking. Makes a cool picture too.

When I went to school I was too poor to get a taste for expensive beer, though I became pretty skilled at brewing my own with "Blue Ribbon" malt and sugar.

I also lacked refrigeration so drank mostly beer at room temperature. When I finally graduated -- 12 years out of high school -- and found a job I found that at first I could no longer drink cold beer. I used to irritate the owner of a neighborhood store by insisting that he go out back to find me a warm six pack.

I tried to re-acquire my warm beer taste when I walked the trail -- but with only moderate success. These chilly fall days, however, I find a cold hallway provides chilling enough, especially for expensive beer, which I vowed never to acquire a taste for, but like that first taste of drugs, one taste leads to another and soon one is addicted to those yuppie beers at eight bucks a six pack.

Weary

Palmer
12-02-2004, 18:19
I have very fond memories of one cold night at a shelter in Pennsylvania many years ago. I can't remember which shelter it was, but I think it was at least five miles from the closest road crossing. Sometime after I had set up camp and built a fire, a couple of fellows came walking into the clearing with a case of beer in their backpacks. They were happy to share, and we enjoyed a very nice night around the fire. I don't think they were thru-hikers.

SalParadise
12-02-2004, 18:22
I didn't start out college poor, but I ended up that way with all the good Wisconsin beers to choose from. Heaven is 50-cent taps.

Granted, PBR ain't the best, but it still beats out Schlitz or Blatz.

Good idea, Wonderer, some room-temperature Guinness and M&M's will make a great dinner tonight.

BookBurner
12-02-2004, 19:18
Palmer-

They were bru-hikers!

weary
12-02-2004, 19:21
....Granted, PBR ain't the best, but it still beats out Schlitz or Blatz.
Yuppies will sneer, but my favorite pop beer is Old Milwaukee.

I once was camping with an English couple, though naturalized Americans. We had driven for many miles through the private paper company woodlands of Maine on a blistering hot day. We hiked to a favorite lunch spot of mine on Chesuncook Lake, a mile from the road.

As my wife and friends dug out the sandwiches, I dug out a reasonably cold 12-pack of Old Milwaukee. The response: "Everything I know about beer tells me differently, but this is delicious."

Weary

Ridge
12-02-2004, 21:18
Being a REDNECK from the South I try to spell the beers I drink korectly. I purrsonallay like Heineken. Howeber, if Guinness is on sail I'll buy hit.

Doctari
12-03-2004, 00:30
After years of drinking guinness & other "hearty" beers at my summer job, I find I no longer can stand American beer.
Tried the canned Guinness, nasty give me the on tap stuff.
My favorite beer is Tennents from Scotland.

Doctari.

Happy
12-03-2004, 00:43
Single malt scotch and Cuban cigars! Much lighter and more punch!

Nameless
12-03-2004, 05:05
Guinness is an Irish beer, and being there last summer i do have to say it is best cold. They are darn proud of their Guinness, and if you don't pull it right its almost a sin... And they like their Guinness cold, i remember one pub that i was at that was extremely proud of having the shortest length between the tap and the source, leaving it colder (btw, to correctly pull a Guinness involves first only fill the pint glass 1/2 way, wait for the head to settle, and continue, it keeps it colder and fresher)

And i think i ruined my taste for beer with that first Guinness... American beers will never compair, and its not the same thing in the can here in the USA. Just my .02, dont like it, then dont listen to it.

Pink

Pencil Pusher
12-03-2004, 07:51
Hiker/climber beware, those Guinness cans are prone to exploding while in a backpack. I carried a varying six pack, of which one was a Guinness and didn't even make it past the trailhead before the thing exploded. I don't even like that crap, to add insult to injury.

Thumper 2006
12-03-2004, 10:09
You are right Guinness is spelled with two N's. Also, I am probably one of the poorest college students ever. However, i work at a bar called Delany's Irish Pub. If you are ever in Spartanburg SC, i would recommend you go their. SInce I work their i get all the free beer i want, that is why i have gathered a taste for expensive beers. I try to go as light as I can, but for those 1 nighters beer is the way to go. How about Sierra Nevada?

Lone Wolf
12-03-2004, 10:13
Sierra Nevada. Trendy yuppie swill.

peter_pan
12-03-2004, 10:20
I'm with Happy, single malt scotch...but no cigars....lighter still... and lungs do better on the uphills.

Blue Jay
12-03-2004, 10:28
Hiker/climber beware, those Guinness cans are prone to exploding while in a backpack. I carried a varying six pack, of which one was a Guinness and didn't even make it past the trailhead before the thing exploded. I don't even like that crap, to add insult to injury.

When Irish Eyes are smiling.....

chknfngrs
12-03-2004, 10:31
Can't you dehydrate beer? I think there's a market for Dry Beer Powder here. Who's with me?

Dances with Mice
12-03-2004, 10:51
When I was in college in TX the student hangout bar sold 'premium' beers like Bud, Schlitz or Miller for 55 cents per longneck, widely distributed local brews like Lone Star or Pearl were 50 cents, and the lowest of the low was Shiner (http://www.shiner.com/home.html), from an ancient hole in the wall brewery, the only brand they priced at 45 cents. So I could get 2 Shiners and a small slice of cheddar, the bar had a barrel of free crackers and that was often lunch between classes, all for $1. Premium beers were out of my price range, if I upgraded to 'Star I couldn't get cheese! I became a Shiner Bock fan, even stopped by the brewery once to buy a t-shirt. When I wore it you could see people wrinkle their nose 'Shiner! Blech!' It was so low class, so anti-cool, that it became my favorite shirt.

Now that same hole in the wall brewery is called a microbrewery and Shiner Bock is a Yuppie brew priced higher than Bud. Go figure.

Blue Jay
12-03-2004, 10:59
Can't you dehydrate beer? I think there's a market for Dry Beer Powder here. Who's with me?

Someone did do that. I never got a hold of any, but I remember someone saying it was undrinkable, worse than Bud.

weary
12-03-2004, 11:33
It's easy to dehydrate beer and the result is a dry powder. Rehydrated it tastes exactly like flat beer with no alcohol. You can experience the taste at home.

Just heat a bottle of beer to boiling and let it simmer until all the fizz and alcohol are driven off by the heat. No need to totally dehydrate before testing the results, though you may want to add a couple of tablespoons of water to make up for the water and alcohol which was evaporated. Cool and drink. Or drink it hot, if you prefer. It's equally tasty.

Somehow, I prefer 180 proof grain alcohol diluted with a little Tang. Or even a little 100-proof JW Dant bourbon, mixed with a bit of unfiltered spring water.

Weary

Alligator
12-03-2004, 12:08
Just razzing you Wonderer. I was a poor college student once too. Now that's a job I would've wished for! My share of cheap beer: Golden Anniversary, Narragansett (now check my spelling:o ), Olympia, Hamms (boar on it), Red, White, & Blue Beer, Old Mil, my hiking buddy just regressed to some Charleston, SC beer, and I have, on at least two occasions, bought generic beer. It comes in a white can with just the label "Beer". It's fun to throw a six pack in the cooler. The rule is no looking, just fish your beer out of the ice, no second picks.

The Irish probably drink their Guinness cold to spite the English;). Traditionally, they would not have had the refrigeration to serve it that cold. Very cold beer will mask some of the beer's flavors. Ask any certified beer judge.

Cool or cold, it's just personal preference. Drink it as you like it.

Blue Jay
12-03-2004, 12:36
It's easy to dehydrate beer and the result is a dry powder. Rehydrated it tastes exactly like flat beer with no alcohol. You can experience the taste at home.

Just heat a bottle of beer to boiling and let it simmer until all the fizz and alcohol are driven off by the heat. No need to totally dehydrate before testing the results, though you may want to add a couple of tablespoons of water to make up for the water and alcohol which was evaporated. Cool and drink. Or drink it hot, if you prefer. It's equally tasty.

TASTY!! Just add a few old cigarette butts flosting in it and you have a party.