PDA

View Full Version : New England Hiking areas other than the Whites

amac
09-28-2010, 17:49
What hiking areas exist in New England other than the Whites? I'd like to find an area that could fit a 3-7 day loop hike. And it would be nice if it wasn't as challenging as Franconia Ridge area.

Migrating Bird
09-28-2010, 18:00
If your looking for a great area to hike, look into the Taconic Range in W. MA, CT & NY. It has it all, great views, waterfalls, historical sites - no where near as tough as the Whites, but still challenging in short sections. AT north of Salisbury CT to Jug End and the South Taconic Trail. Mt. Greylok is also nice for a 2-3 day loop. PM me for more info.

burger
09-28-2010, 20:28
+1 on the Taconics. A couple of weeks ago, I did a 32-mile loop including the South Taconic Trail, the Mt. Frissell Trail, and the AT from Sage's Ravine to Jug End. Excellent scenery throughout.

Tinker
09-28-2010, 22:05
The Greens.

4eyedbuzzard
09-28-2010, 22:15
Lots of trails through the Pemi Wilderness area that can make for good loops.

amac
09-29-2010, 05:48
The Taconics, huh? Ok, sounds interesting. Couldn't find any links to maps of hiking trails. Anyone?

Wombat Farm
09-29-2010, 06:37
A really great trail that you can do in 1 week (or just a part of it) is the Monadnock - Sunapee Trail. It goes from the top of Monadnock in southern NH (near Keene) north up to Mt. Sunapee. It's fun flowing up and down and walks in very beautiful areas. You should be able to find guides in EMS. And of course as someone else mentioned - the Green Mts. in VT. The VT Long Trail follows AT and then veers off near Killington all the way to the CA border. Is an awesome trail. Enjoy!

peakbagger
09-29-2010, 07:35
The Carrasbasset area (Sugarloaf) has some interesting options although you wll have to string together some it it with road walks to make it a loop.

A new option is the Maine Huts and Trail system. They are opening a third hut in about a week. The huts are down in valleys surrounded by mountains and the trails run in the valley so it is asier hiking (or skiing) than the whites. They are full service huts so you dont have to carry much gear, think of very upscale AMC huts (showers and heat) at a lower price. They have a shuttle option. With a little creativity, you could probably string together some backpacking days on the begining or end of the trip by hooking up with the AT.

sixhusbands
09-29-2010, 08:18
The Northville-Placid trail in upstate New York. This trail starts in Northville and runs through the Adirondacks for 135 miles to the Lake Placid area. It has everything from the lowlands to the remote areas near West Canada Lakes and into the high peak region . The Adirondacl Mountain Club (ADK) has a verygood trail guide which you can get at most outfitters.

ki0eh
09-29-2010, 11:03
South Taconics - maps from NYNJTC that you have to buy
Taconic Crest Trail further north - guide is in paper form not online, they haven't joined the 21st century yet

weary
09-29-2010, 11:12
The Carrasbasset area (Sugarloaf) has some interesting options although you wll have to string together some it it with road walks to make it a loop.

A new option is the Maine Huts and Trail system. They are opening a third hut in about a week. The huts are down in valleys surrounded by mountains and the trails run in the valley so it is asier hiking (or skiing) than the whites. They are full service huts so you dont have to carry much gear, think of very upscale AMC huts (showers and heat) at a lower price. They have a shuttle option. With a little creativity, you could probably string together some backpacking days on the begining or end of the trip by hooking up with the AT.
Then there's all the rest of Maine. Loop trails are scarce, but the Bigelow's offer some two night loops, longer if you can add a canoe and paddling to your agenda. (Canoe from the caMPGROUND in Stratton to Round Barn in the Bigelow Preserve, take Safford Brook Trail to Avery Peak campsite, follow the Range to Horns Pond campsite, follow AT to Cranberry Stream campsite, continue down to the Stratton Brook Pond road, then take the fire warden Trail to Moose Falls or back to Avery campsite, and eventually back down the Safford Brook trail, and a return paddle to camp on a Flagstaff Island, or back to town.)

Unless you are rushing through some of the prettiest country in the East, you can divide this into 3 nights or longer. A side walk to Little Bigelow is a possibility. It's beautiful both ways. Or continue down the Little Bigelow trail and walk the relatively little used gravel road back to Round Barn.

While enroute ponder what might have happened. Developers once dreamed of turning Bigelow into the "Aspen of the East," only to have their dreams snatched away by Maine voters in 1976. Myron Avery called Bigelow "Maine's second mountain" (to Katahdin.) The preserve voters created remains a very special place.

Weary

amac
09-30-2010, 05:45
Wow, some great suggestions here. Thanks very much to all.

SassyWindsor
09-30-2010, 19:52
I like cats, so don't hurt it.

4eyedbuzzard
09-30-2010, 20:22
I like cats, so don't hurt it.

Did someone mention cats in this thread?

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kp0x6bT0DF1qzwnr7o1_500.jpg

Driver8
09-30-2010, 23:32
CT and Mass Taconics, overlapping into NY, including Greylock, the Queen Bee of the section, are not easy, but are doable and provide excellent scenery. Greylock is a treasure (especially now after some long-needed rain), as is AT stretch from Salisbury, over Bear Mtn, through Sages Ravine (unspeakably primeval and gorgeous), over the amazing Mt. Race (wondrous, dizzying cliffs and a beautiful summit with great 360 views), Everett (a stiff, though mercifully brief, ascent from the south).

If you wanted my recommendation for a week's time, I'd say spend a few days tromping around the CT-NY-MA border - as others have said, Bear, Frissell, Lion's Head, Alander, Everett and Race to Jug End (don't miss Bash Bish Falls and Race Brook Falls), then scurry up to Greylock for two or three days (lots of great falls on the side trails and fantastic views from the summit - on two recent clear days, I saw Mt. Washington, Franconia Notch and the Adirondacks in the distance) and a gorgeous boreal forest of spruce and fir between Greylock Summit and the secondary peak 2 miles southwest - Saddle Ball). hit Stratton, which though relatively easy is the highest peak in Southern VT. Stratton Pond, nearby, is also lovely, I hear.

If you want a toughie that approaches Franconia Notch in difficulty, so I hear, Mt. Equinox, 10 miles or so west of Stratton, is very tough and beautiful.

I would say do the CT-MA-NY Bear/Frissell/Race/Everett section first, let the great views of Greylock summon you up there next, then devour Greylock and maybe do Stratton or Equinox for dessert.

Cookerhiker
10-11-2010, 10:37
You can fashion some loop hikes in the Camels Hump and Mansfield areas of the Long Trail although I'm not sure about 7 days - perhaps in conjunction with the Catamount Trail. Then again, those hikes are nearly as challenging as Franconia Ridge.

I know you asked about loops but personally in that timeframe, I'd hike the Long Trail linearally from Lincoln Gap to Sumgglers Notch, arranging for a shuttle.