PDA

View Full Version : ridgerest vs therma rest

TheYoungOne
09-28-2010, 20:42
I'm currently have a Ridgerest and its OK to sleep on, but I have been eyeballing a possible replacement, the Therm a rest trail lite. Is the comfort of the Trail lite worth the extra weight, cost, and slight lack of durability?

4eyedbuzzard
09-28-2010, 20:47
I'm currently have a Ridgerest and its OK to sleep on, but I have been eyeballing a possible replacement, the Therm a rest trail lite. Is the comfort of the Trail lite worth the extra weight, cost, and slight lack of durability?
Unless you need the added insulative quality of the thermarest open-cell foam self-inflating pad, why not just go for a NeoAir? Lighter, thicker, and more comfortable IMO. Good down to 40 deg or so, and then a closed cell under it makes it good for most winter use as well.

garlic08
09-28-2010, 21:45
My opinion is no. I'm perfectly happy on a z-rest.

4shot
09-29-2010, 09:49
you didn't ask but I'll throw in another option to look at...a European company (I think) by the name of Exped. Not really easy to find but I carried the synthetic model 7 on my thru-hike and loved it. It's a little heavy compared to the neo-air but it's warm, comfortable and has an integrated pump which works better for me. It was the ony exped I saw on the trail but before I got it I was unable to sleep comfortably on the ground ever since I turned 40 or so. This piece of gear essentially kept me from "retiring" from backpacking. Good luck.

max patch
09-29-2010, 10:21
Thermarests are worth their weight in gold. I believe the trail lites come in 72 inch lengths; you don't need anything longer than your hips. I'd research the other thermarest options that come in a 48 inch or so length. Save some weight and money.

Toolshed
09-29-2010, 10:29
I have a Thermarest trail lite alng with a few otehr models and a couple of ridge rests.
I prefer the thermarest alone when backpacking - hands down.

I will always carry the ridge rest and the thermarest for the following conditions:
In bitter cold I will put the ridge rest beneath it.
Base camping and Car Camping - I will put the ridge rest beneath it.
Laying out and sleeping under the stars with no ground cloth, I will put the ridge rest beneath it.

verber
09-29-2010, 12:08
I am not a big fan of the self inflating mattresses. Closed cell foam have the advantage of being lighter weight, providing more warmth / weight, cheaper, more durable... with the obvious downside of not being quite as compact.

If closed cell foam doesn't get you a good night sleep, then I would recommend going with an insulated air mattress (Exped, BA Insulated Air Core, etc) or if you have the $$ and are in >30F conditions the new NeoAir.

I have a small table which lists insulation / weight ratios in on my recommended pads (http://www.verber.com/mark/outdoors/gear/sleep-system.html#Pads) page.

Lyle
09-29-2010, 12:11
I recently eyeballed upgrading to a NeoAir at Bluff Mountain Outfitters. Was steered away by an employee who confirmed the durability concern. Stated quite a few reports of leaks that are not repairable.

I remain very happy with my Thermarest Prolite short. Light (13oz), compact (bout the size of a one liter bottle), much more comfy than a closed cell pad of any kind, and reasonably durable. They are expensive, but not as much as the NeoAir.

Wrangler88
09-29-2010, 14:03
My opinion is no. I'm perfectly happy on a z-rest.

I agree. All I've ever used is a foam pad. Z rest, Walmart Blue, or GG Thinlight. All cheap, light, easily replaced, and comfortable enough for me to sleep.

Tinker
09-29-2010, 14:03
here's another option: http://warmlite.com/down-air-mattress-alone

I had one of these and it was very comfortable and durable. It came with my sleeping bag and I sold both together several years ago because the bag was too heavy for warm weather use.

scott bonder
09-29-2010, 14:23
I love the neoair. just 2 cents of unasked advice.