PDA

View Full Version : Another question on dehydrating....

Different Socks
09-29-2010, 11:51
For those of you that have a Harvest Maid machine, what's the easiest method to remove the small items from the mesh screens? Anyone that had a brain storm idea? I find that when removing peas, corn, beans, that I have to do 1/2 the pile by hand, then carefully pick up the-screen and pour the reaminder into a baggy or container. How do you do it?

kanga
09-29-2010, 12:14
pretty much the same way. if you come up with something better, please let me know!

LaurieAnn
09-29-2010, 14:33
I lay a piece of parchment paper, paper towelling or clean tea towel on the table and invert the tray over top of it. Then I pick up the paper or towelling and let it sag in the middle creating a channel. I can simply pour the ingredients into the ziplock then. I do this for most things... makes life a bit easier. Picking the little pieces up by hand would be too time consuming with all the drying I do.

Different Socks
09-29-2010, 16:36
I lay a piece of parchment paper, paper towelling or clean tea towel on the table and invert the tray over top of it. Then I pick up the paper or towelling and let it sag in the middle creating a channel. I can simply pour the ingredients into the ziplock then. I do this for most things... makes life a bit easier. Picking the little pieces up by hand would be too time consuming with all the drying I do.

Awesome idea!! Thanks.

LaurieAnn
09-29-2010, 17:50
I actually learned that from my Dad. He was a chef for the railways. When he was measuring flour for things he'd dump it on a piece of parchment paper and weigh it. Then he'd let it sag as he lifted it and pour the flour into his mixer. It kept things nice and neat and Mom didn't complain about flour everywhere... lol.

juma
09-30-2010, 07:53
I bought one of those huge aluminum throw-away cooking pans like for a turkey or something big. I just shake the dehydrater rack over it and it catches all. then I pour through one of the corners.

LaurieAnn
09-30-2010, 09:28
That's a good idea... I have a lasagne pan that would work perfectly for that! Thanks.

Alligator
09-30-2010, 09:49
My trays fit nicely into a large stainless mixing bowl that I have. I tend to make mainly dinners and once in a while a lunch size. I weigh these off on my kitchen scale which has a square bowl and they go into either ziplocks or vacuum bags.