PDA

View Full Version : Is a 45 degree enough?

DinnerFer2
09-29-2010, 14:52
Planning on leaving from Springer Mt. NOBO on March 19th...

Is my 45 degree Sierra Designs Wicked Light 800 fill enough? Should I bring an 8 oz fleece liner along? It's supposed to bring the rating down 10 degrees.

I'll be most likely sleeping on a Thermarest Neoair and sleeping in a TarpTent Double Rainbow...

Thanks!

HikerRanky
09-29-2010, 15:18
So your bag and liner would get you down to 35 degrees with everything being correctly rated. Springer in Mid March can be a gamble as to what the weather is going to be like. Sometimes it will be 60s to 70s during the day, dropping down to 30s and 40s at night. Then something happens, and the highs are in the 30s during the day and down into the 20s or lower at night time.

Personally, I would find me a 20 degree bag and take the liner as well.

Randy

Blissful
09-29-2010, 15:21
Nope. You need a 20 degree (the other is fine for summer). Neoair is only good to 30 degree, I'd bring a gossamer gear pad or the like to put under it too. And fleece is heavy. Silk is much lighter for the warmth in a liner.

4shot
09-29-2010, 15:34
agree with the posters above - a 20 degree bag is what I would (and did) carry. It was necessary on more than a few nights. Switched to a 40 deg. bag past Mt. Rodgers, then sent it home and carried only a silk liner and lightweight fleece blanket. Got my 40 deg. bag back in VT.

GeneralLee10
09-29-2010, 15:44
If it were me I would say no, a 20 should be good. You never know what the temps are going to drop to in the Smokies at night. I started on the 11th of March and it was cold for a bit. I did not get a 45deg bag till I got to Daleville Va. That was me, all though most of the guys I was around switched out their bags around the same time. Team Lafuma!

bigcranky
09-29-2010, 15:48
How low have you taken the bag? The average temps will be below freezing in late March, and we've had single digits in mid-April in the North Carolina mountains. If you've had that bag/liner combo out in the teens and been happy, go for it.

Being in Vermont you have all winter to test it out.

JAK
09-29-2010, 15:48
I don't think only 9oz of down fill justifies the 14oz of nylon shell.
Whether or not it works would depend primarily on the rest of your system, not on it.
It appears to be lacking in a hood, so you would need something for that critical area.
There will probably be alot of convection through the shell and fill.

I'm not really sure what the question is that you want a straighforward answer.
It would help if the question was straightforward.
What temperature? What is the rest of your clothing and gear?

This is rather like showing a pair of underwear and asking if it is suitable for a dinner party.

max patch
09-29-2010, 15:52
No way will a 45 degree bag be adequate.

JAK
09-29-2010, 15:55
No, an 8oz fleece liner will not bring this from 45F down to 10F.
Not even with the tent and sleeping pad.

What sort of clothing do you have in mind?
What about the head and neck and chest area?

JAK
09-29-2010, 16:04
It would make more sense if this was a quilt.
Then the 14 oz of shell would become more like 9oz,
and the 9oz of fill would become 14oz, and be all on top.
A blue foam pad would provide insulation underneath.
You would still need some sort of detachable hood for head and neck and shoulders.

When cold sleeping, average skin temperature is around 80F. In the neck and chest area is still like 90-93F. In the lower extremities and arms is can be as low as 70F, roughly. So clearly, especially for temperatures around 45F, you need more loft in the head and neck and chest area. This bag doesn't seem to address that very well.

For going down to 10F, you really want to start over.

garlic08
09-29-2010, 16:50
I started April 4 with my 15 degree bag and I really needed it many times. There were two late winter storms that year in the high country, with temps in the teens for days at a time. Maybe it didn't save my life, but it did keep me on the trail when many others were bailing out to town. All the cold weather I faced was forecast, and it was avoidable if needed. If you have the flexibility of picking and choosing your hiking depending on warm weather, you might make it with the lower rating. But if you plan on thru hiking with minimal town stops, no way.

Morning Glory
09-29-2010, 16:52
In April of 2009, along with probably 40 thru hikers, I spent 2 nights in Hiawasee do to a snow storm. It was so cold that I don't think my 20 degree bag would have been good enough. I would have wanted a 0 degree bag. My 20 degree bag was perfect for the other nights. Take a 40 degree bag and you will freeze.

lunatic
09-29-2010, 16:57
Agree with others above. Probably need at least a 20 degree bag. On my thru I started in late Feb. with a Campmor 20 degree down bag (bought for only $119) and it was perfect (some nights with lots of clothing on too). I kept it until H.F. when I switched to a 40 degree bag, which was fine the rest of the way...finished in late July.

JAK
09-29-2010, 18:50
What is the lowest temperature to be expected, for a NOBO thru-hike starting March 19th?
To what degree can it be mitigated by choosing camping sites wisely on cold nights?

Morning Glory
09-29-2010, 19:14
What is the lowest temperature to be expected, for a NOBO thru-hike starting March 19th?
To what degree can it be mitigated by choosing camping sites wisely on cold nights?

I would say probably the teens....choosing a campsite isn't going to help you much...maybe a few degrees. I've never through hiked, but I've been out plenty during that time of year and I wouldn't settle for less than a 20 degree bag until May 1 at the earliest....and i'm a warm sleeper. I've seen it get down in the low 30's at night in mid May at the lower elevations in the Smokies. Just not a risk I would be willing at all to take...

Skidsteer
09-29-2010, 19:21

Is my 45 degree Sierra Designs Wicked Light 800 fill enough? Should I bring an 8 oz fleece liner along? It's supposed to bring the rating down 10 degrees.

I'll be most likely sleeping on a Thermarest Neoair and sleeping in a TarpTent Double Rainbow...

Thanks!

No, very good chance you'll be miserable or worse at that time of year with that bag rating.

Grinder
09-29-2010, 19:30
two years ago I hiked in early April to avoid the cold weather in March.

That year it was under 20 degrees for two nights and I about froze in my 24 degree rated bag. Thank God I carried a poncho liner as backup.

It's always a gamble with weight versus comfort.

10-K
09-29-2010, 19:37
If your goal is simply not to freeze to death you'll probably be ok. :)

mweinstone
09-29-2010, 20:24
the science of this argument has been forsaken and im one who takes safty seriously. all you need sir or mamm is to witness the tossing. the turnning. the mumbuling under breath. the inability to hike with vim and vigor the next day. and the horror. ohhh the horror. of the folks all around me each time im on trail in cold,......shivering. praying out loud for sunrise. makeing deals with devils. and all manner of sorrow associated with the cold lameass dummy bag like the one your bringgin. bring it. and suffer. just so next year we can be closer friends. we will allways have this moment. when your about to hike with a deadly bag that could leave your parents childless and i,..matthewski,...dont take that .

marmot. helium. eq coated. 15. 545$ under 2. fully waterproof and breathable. for real. life.warm 850-900 warmth. spend. join us. we are asleep. you will be awake and as hate filled as a you the next day buying a real bag.

John B
09-29-2010, 20:31
I would carry my 5-degree WM Antelope and then switch out in May to my 20-degree bag. I was hiking in the Grayson Highlands in late April and there was snow and temps in the 20s. I almost froze in my 20-degree bag. Maybe I'm cold natured, but I'd rather carry the extra ounces and sleep nice and warm than laying awake with that not-quite warm feeling.

DinnerFer2
09-29-2010, 21:12
Thank you for the poetry mweinsten.

And thank you all for all the attention this forum received.

The reason I asked is because I only have that 45 degree bag and a 0 degree marmot Never Summer. I've been told the Never Summer would be overkill, I was wondering if I would have to buy another bag, like a 20 degree. I'd rather not do that; it's taking everything I've got just to save enough money for trip expenses.

So it looks like my best plan would be to start with the 0 degree, then send it to VT in exchange for the 45 with a liner, then eventually send home the liner...

Sound good?

- :D MR. Dinner Fer 2

mweinstone
09-29-2010, 21:17
matthewski stops packing resque gear. egggsulent. ill let others berate you for switching out so far north. use the zero luke...use the zero.... until damascus. then,......use the dummy luke ...use the dummy.....then............switch back when your cold,......k? good. now i happy. i watch u hike on trailcurnals?

Blissful
09-29-2010, 21:21
If you're a guy I think 0 is overkill, personally unless you begin in Feb. But if on a budget, at least you'll be ok for those occasional cold nights early on. Most of the time you'll be using it like a quilt.

max patch
09-29-2010, 21:37
So it looks like my best plan would be to start with the 0 degree, then send it to VT in exchange for the 45 with a liner, then eventually send home the liner...

Sound good?

If you don't want to buy a 20, then yes, that is exactly what you want to do.

JAK
09-29-2010, 21:57
I'm a guy. a cheap guy, and I don't think using the 0 would be overkill.
I think buying another bag would be overkill, when the 0 bag will do. :)

With the 0, you can skimp on clothes a little, though I wouldn't.
I would maybe skimp on shelter a little. Not sure weight of your tent.
Foam pad, DIY tarp, but you already own the pad and tent I suppose.

Anyhow, you have a good 0 bag, only a little heavier than it theoretically needs to be.
You could make up some of that weight by skimping a little in other areas, but you needn't.
I think you have a good bag and will get good use out of it starting early.

4eyedbuzzard
09-29-2010, 22:27
I have the same bag as you, and it's good to 40 but no more - definitely not 20 no matter what liner you put in it. I wouldn't rely on it being warm enough anywhere on the AT until April and even May at higher elevations.

Stir Fry
09-29-2010, 23:34
Im going to start aroung the first of March. I plan to stars with 20* Nunatek ( 26oz)and my 45* Mont Bell (18oz). Some nights the Mount Belll will just be a pillow, but on the nights that it drops into the teens or lower I will double them up. After Mt Rogers Ill send the 20* bag home till New England. I have sectiond the first 300 mils several times and the weather is two unpredictible that time of year 40* one night 10* the next then 30* after that. I hate to be cold, you just do not sleep good . The are several light weight bag that would be better then a liner and give you more wormth. Consider getting a 30* bag and double it with the 45*. The combiation will take you to 20* or lower and give you a little vesatility.

Forever North
09-30-2010, 01:48

Thanks!

Here's a web site I just ran into that I think will help anyone when picking out a sleeping bag. It'll teach you about DOWN and SYNTHETIC'S
P.S. Go for the 20 degree down
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/lp2/down-v-synthetic-guide.html

daddytwosticks
09-30-2010, 07:36
Factor in some wicked wind and dampness and you'll be regretting that 45 degree bag decision. :)

JAK
09-30-2010, 08:15
What alot of people don't pay enough attention to is air convection and ventilation that passes directly through the inner shell, and outer shell, and also in and around the down even if it is 900 fill, perhaps especially if it is 900 fill. It isn't just about attaining a certain loft for a given temperature. You have to stop or at least reduce air flow. It's a bit of a tradeoff, because you do want some movement of air and moisture through the sleeping bag. So you need some extra loft, more than theoretically sufficient assuming no air and moisture movement, so that you can have some air and moisture movement, but you don't want too much air and moisture movement either. Even if you have a tent, this air movement is still a source of heat loss. With a bivy, perhaps not so much. Some bags have better inner and outer shells, to have just the right amount of movement. Some assume that you will use a bivy, and go for something as light as possible, and that makes sense as long as you use a bivy when it is colder.

The other thing that is sometimes misunderstood is the use of vapour barrier layers. VBLs can stop the flow of moisture from the body and into the sleeping bag, and this is a good thing in some ways. It doesn't neccessarily mean retaining more heat though. If you allow some moisture to leave the skin and enter your wool underwear, or a wool liner, or the sleeping bag, and condense there, then you are recovering the heat lost from the body in this way, and also gaining some sensible heat, as the moisture not only recondenses, but also cools to less than body temperature, and perhaps even freezes. Over several days or weeks this can be a real problem, especially for a down bag in constant sub-freezing conditions, or high humidity conditions. However, for that first night it will keep you warmer than you would with a VBL, and if you can dry the bag back out, or the wool liner, or wool underwear by wearing it, you can take advantage of this extra heat every night, and be warmer than you would be if you used a VBL.

A thin layer of wool, either underwear or a blanket or liner, inside of a down bag, is warmer than the same down bag with a VBL. If done right, it can also be warmer and better overal than simply putting that same weight into more down. The combination is what works best. Also, the wool underwear can do double duty as a clothing layer, and wearing it as a clothing layer can be a very practical and effective way to get it dried back out again.

My main point is you have to consider the total system, including ground temperature, ground insulation, outershell, bag insulation, inner shell, clothing worn, bivy if used, tent or tarp if used, and whatever trees might be overhead if it is a clear night.

Also, and this is perhaps most important above freezing, you have to decide whether you want to sleep with you shoulder and neck and face and head totally closed in. Above freezing it is more comfortable if you are half out of the bag, or at least not too closed in in the head and neck area, and for that you will need more coverage on your body so you can afford all that heat loss from the head and neck area. You save weight by overprotecting that area because it has higher average skin temperatures, but you pay a price in comfort. I usually like a bag and system that is designed to keep me warm down to at least 30F in summer, if I am all closed in, and that way I can open things up for 40F, 50F, whatever. At 30F I am even more comfortable in Spring/Fall, if my system is capable of 20F or 10F, because I can open things up in the head and neck area at 30F and be more comfortable. Below 0F, you don't have much choice. You pretty much have to close everything up like Fort Knox, with just a small breathing hole, and even then breathing through a wool scarf or neck tube.

Trailweaver
09-30-2010, 15:32
Nothing is so miserable as a night when you think you are literally going to be found the next day, frozen stiff and blue lipped. I had one night like that and it will never, ever happen to me again. Take the warmest bag you can find for the money and be safe, be comfortable, and then ship it home later. You will thank all the people here who advised you to do so.

JAK
09-30-2010, 15:55
Nothing is so miserable as a night when you think you are literally going to be found the next day, frozen stiff and blue lipped. I had one night like that and it will never, ever happen to me again. Take the warmest bag you can find for the money and be safe, be comfortable, and then ship it home later. You will thank all the people here who advised you to do so.That is good advice. Especially so since the warmest bag for the money is not the lightest. The extra weight of 600fill vs 900 fill is not all bad. There is more to a sleeping bag than just loft also, so 2" of 600 fill is in fact warmer, than 2" of 900 fill, tough 50% heavier. Sure, for the same weight, 10oz of 900fill is better than 10oz of 600fill, but $100 of 600 fill will keep you ALOT warmer than $100 of 900 fill. People generally don't get into trouble trying to saving money though. People get into trouble by trying to get by on other peoples technology and concepts, rather than their own hard knowledge and experience.

Whatever you do, test it yourself, at different temperatures and conditions. Develop your own rules of thumb, and rating system. Extrapolate only when neccessary. Better yet, find an extreme winter storm and test things there, 10 feet from a heated space. Know for certain what climatic condtions you might possible encounter on a real trip. Don't rely on weather forecasts. Be prepared for the climate extremes for that month, and elevation. Being prepared means prior experience. Extra protection is required when pushing your limits beyond your prior experience.

Don't be a consumer. Be a survivor.
Drop out of society and rejoin the species.
Homo Sapiens. Thinking Man.

SassyWindsor
09-30-2010, 19:35
Well the bag is rated 13 degrees above freezing, sounds unluckly to me.

4eyedbuzzard
09-30-2010, 20:04
Well the bag is rated 13 degrees above freezing, sounds unluckly to me.

But 13 is a lucky number in China where the bag is manufactured. :-?

I still think he'll freeze in it at 20 F though. ;)

V Eight
09-30-2010, 20:09
the science of this argument has been forsaken and im one who takes safty seriously. all you need sir or mamm is to witness the tossing. the turnning. the mumbuling under breath. the inability to hike with vim and vigor the next day. and the horror. ohhh the horror. of the folks all around me each time im on trail in cold,......shivering. praying out loud for sunrise. makeing deals with devils. and all manner of sorrow associated with the cold lameass dummy bag like the one your bringgin. bring it. and suffer. just so next year we can be closer friends. we will allways have this moment. when your about to hike with a deadly bag that could leave your parents childless and i,..matthewski,...dont take that .

marmot. helium. eq coated. 15. 545$ under 2. fully waterproof and breathable. for real. life.warm 850-900 warmth. spend. join us. we are asleep. you will be awake and as hate filled as a you the next day buying a real bag.

matthewski

You never cease to amaze me!

Though I am easily amused.....

Thanks

DinnerFer2
10-01-2010, 01:53
oh for the love of gear talk, I'm starting with the 0

jersey joe
10-01-2010, 07:56
You got good advice on this thread. A warm dry bag just might be the most important piece of gear you will bring.

Lyle
10-01-2010, 10:24

Good decision in my opinion, but that still won't solve the ground insulation issue. Though I don't own one, my understanding is that the Neoair will probably be less than adequate for the temps you can expect. Add an extra closed cell pad as others suggested.

Also, a silk liner will protect your bag from your grime for about 4 oz.

4eyedbuzzard
10-01-2010, 13:25
LOL - had enough of WB? (joking)
Given the two bags, you're making the right (and safe) choice. No one can predict what temps / weather you'll experience, but erroring on the low side is the smarter of the two choices.

Deadeye
10-01-2010, 13:33
For years and years my only bag was a 20 degree bag, and it was good to well below zero. It was too much for many nights, but I never regretted having too much bag. I think I would have had many nights of poor sleep if I had too little bag.

IMHO, liners aren't worth their weight warmth-wise, although they are useful for keeping the bag clean, but so are your clothes.

Transient Being
10-06-2010, 11:36

Haha--HA! I've been there and done that. The next trip I had a Marmot Pinnacle 15.

Thats a funny illustration, you must have seen me when you were writing this.

Tinker
10-06-2010, 15:12
Factor in some wicked wind and dampness and you'll be regretting that 45 degree bag decision. :)

Add too few calories and a bit of dehydration to that mix, and make your decision then.

I hiked Georgia in March 2006 and carried a Feathered Friends Great Auk with 2 oz. of overfill, making it approx. a 15 degree bag. I was too warm much of the time, but on the two nights where the temps. got low I was glad to have it.

DinnerFer2
10-11-2010, 11:56
After checking my 20 degree options online, I think I've decided it's worth the money to buy the Kelty Lightyear 20 degree long.

It'll cut 20 ounces from my Marmot 0's 64 oz. to 44 oz. I'll be more comfortable, it's only $175 etc.

Then I can switch out for my 45 degree when it gets hot and be light as a feather until I reach VT.

So that's exciting, starting out with a fresh bag and all. I took a short hike the other day with two dogs and a friend. I ended up hauling 2 gallons of water, a bottle of wine, and a cornucopia of snacks to the top of this hill called Haystack in Pawlet VT.

On top of that I was wearing Carhartts, Heavy Socks, and a Long Sleeve Shirt. It was unseasonably warm. The memory is driving me to cut more weight from my pack.:bse:bse:bse

max patch
10-11-2010, 15:09
After checking my 20 degree options online, I think I've decided it's worth the money to buy the Kelty Lightyear 20 degree long.

It'll cut 20 ounces from my Marmot 0's 64 oz. to 44 oz. I'll be more comfortable, it's only $175 etc.

2 things:

Check your purchase options; right now Campmor has the bag for $70. Other retailers have it for less than $100. I don't know if these prices include the long.

I purchased two of these bags for my sons for $50 each from Steep and Cheap a couple years ago or so. I immediately returned them when I realized the zipper is only hip length. That was a deal breaker for me; wanted to make sure you realized that.

Datto
10-11-2010, 21:40
Planning on leaving from Springer Mt. NOBO on March 19th... Is my 45 degree Sierra Designs Wicked Light 800 fill enough?

You'll freeze. I started April 10th.

Experienced 20*F in the Smokies. The Concierges at the shelters in the Smokies had run out of electric blankets and hot toddys by the time I'd arrived -- never did get a Broadway ticket from the Concierges for Gatlinburg either. And I'd so wanted to see Les Hillbillyables too.

Experienced 24*F in Maine.

Of course, if you hiked all night every night...

Get a decent 20*F sleeping bag. Carry that from Springer until Rockfish Gap in Virginia where you pick up the 45*F bag. Carry that to Hanover, NH where you pick up the 20*F bag again and carry that through to Katahdin.

Datto

DavidNH
10-11-2010, 21:44

Thanks!

Everyone else has probably said this but I'll just add my two cents anyway. Mid March leaving Springer Mountain no way is a 45 degree bag adequate. Don't go without a bag rated at least down to 20 preferably lower.

Temperatures can easily hit the teens and lower.

David

Moose2001
10-11-2010, 21:50

Then I can switch out for my 45 degree when it gets hot and be light as a feather until I reach VT.

So that's exciting, starting out with a fresh bag and all. I took a short hike the other day with two dogs and a friend. I ended up hauling 2 gallons of water, a bottle of wine, and a cornucopia of snacks to the top of this hill called Haystack in Pawlet VT.

On top of that I was wearing Carhartts, Heavy Socks, and a Long Sleeve Shirt. It was unseasonably warm. The memory is driving me to cut more weight from my pack.:bse:bse:bse

Hey Dinner.......you get what you pay for! Kelty is usually a bit optomistic about their bag ratings. Spend the cash and buy a GOOD bag. You'll appreciate it on those cold nights.

Dogwood
10-11-2010, 22:31

I think that sounds like it has worked out nicely for you DinnerFer2. The DOWN 20* Kelty Light Year Long fills a gap in your sleeping bag line up and provides for greater versatility. It's always nice to have a new sleeping bag at the start of a hike, especially one that is lighter wt, but yet also is more dialed in for the temps at the beginning months of your hike when you consider your start date.

You didn't say what was the length of your NeoAir, but if it's a reg length and also considering you will be in a tent you should be OK. Bringing the liner along at the start might not be a bad idea. As others have said a Cocoon Silk Liner is about 4 oz in long. Although, IMO most sleeping bag liners, no matter what they are made of or what shape or size they are, they don't increase the amount of warmth as much as advertised I think the fleece liners tend to add the most amount of fluffy soft warmth trade-off they are heavier and bulkier than the silk liners.

Add to your sleeping bag warmth that you are willing to wear some extra clothes to sleep and you should be OK the first two months of Mar-Apr.

Do be aware though, as it already has been mentioned several times before in other posts, weather in GA, NC, TN can be unpredictable in Mar-Apr.

I don't think MaxPatch was comparing the same bag as I think you bought DinnerFer2. There are several Kelty Light Yr models with different fills(synthetic or down) and temp ratings. They are priced accordingly. It's nice to see that the DOWN Kelty Light Yr 20* has been EN rated so the temp rating should be true.

Have a DREAM hike.

buz
10-12-2010, 10:48
Dinner,

Right after you get that Kelty, sleep out in it somewhere on a cold night. Figure out if it is rated ok for you. If not, send it back, reshop. Might be fine, maybe not. Find out right away if possible, then re do if needed.

flemdawg1
10-12-2010, 13:10

My Kelty LY 40 is a half zip, before you pull the trigger on your order, make sure that is something you'll be OK with (I wish I'd gotten a full zip bag as my legs get hot, even w/ the footbox vent open).

Saffirre8
10-12-2010, 13:51
considering this pass winter with 2 blizzards here in the northeast. Alot of the thur hikers that starting in March had to hike thru alot of snow and some even had or wished they has snow shoes. So with that considered i would go with the 20 degree bag. Some could even hike on some of the mountains because the snow was so bad.

chiefiepoo
10-12-2010, 19:01

Definitely as said above, teens. And maybe a lot of snow. Back in late 90's IIRC, many had to be rescued when a spring snow storm dropped snow and ice in the Smokies. I think the storm was the 20 something of March and many kids were on spring break camping trips.

bigcranky
10-12-2010, 19:26
Definitely as said above, teens. And maybe a lot of snow. Back in late 90's IIRC, many had to be rescued when a spring snow storm dropped snow and ice in the Smokies. I think the storm was the 20 something of March and many kids were on spring break camping trips.

I would *expect* lows in the teens, and be mentally prepared for some nights in the single digits.