PDA

View Full Version : KATADYN- Mini Microfilter

grandview
12-02-2004, 21:29
Thumbs up or down on the KATADYN- Mini Microfilter?

thanks

Ridge
12-02-2004, 22:40
I have an old "Pur Hiker" water filter. I think Katadyn bought them out. So, whatever they call the old "Hiker", this is the one to have. You can also install an iodine or virus filter unit to it, if you require one. Its been really a good unit.

verber
12-02-2004, 23:28
The mini filter is small, light, effectively filters out bad things, and really slow to use. Each stroke on my Guide seemed easier than my friend's Katadyn and he had to take more strokes. I finished my pumping something like 3-4x faster which is a big deal when blood suckers are swarming and/or your arms I tired from pulling yourself up a steep cliff. Last year I switched to Aqua Mira when I am traveling solo because I hate pumping and have been really happy.

Happy
12-03-2004, 00:55
The mini filter is not effective in my view....I have one almost new (used twice) that i will sell at 1/3 cost! PM message if interested.

grandview
12-03-2004, 01:31
The mini filter is not effective in my view....I have one almost new (used twice) that i will sell at 1/3 cost! PM message if interested.
way to plug the product you're trying to sell...lol

seriously though, what's not effective about it in your opinion?

Happy
12-03-2004, 01:49
I have already considered it a loss in my gear selection process..a not good selection decision in my gear selection process...may not be for others...so the for sell offer...I could care less! :banana

Happy
12-03-2004, 01:58
I was not "Happy" with the required pumping for the water flow and the time required. You have to remember I am a die-hard Aquira Mira user since introduced a couple of years ago! The sale of the filter will not break or make me...JUST HONEST!

grandview
12-03-2004, 01:59
I have already considered it a loss in my gear selection process..a not good selection decision in my gear selection process...may not be for others...so the for sell offer...I could care less! :banana
i'm not sure i follow you on that one happy...
is the problem with the water output?

grandview
12-03-2004, 01:59
disregard the above...

Happy
12-03-2004, 02:28
I realize you posted before my second post, but the answer to your question is yes it is due to the treated water ouput, delivered by the required pumping...very...very slow !

It is VERY slow compared to the old/new PUR hiker!!

After being introduced to Aqua Mira chemicals in combo with the Aqua Mira filter bottle I would never consider looking back!

Other people disagree...therefore my offer to sell at 1/3 price for a NEW product!

The Solemates
12-03-2004, 10:20
Isnt this a ceramic filter? I wouldnt go with ceramic...clogs easier, does not perform as well in cold conditions, is brittle and can break if dropped, etc.

hikerdude
12-03-2004, 10:36
I have installed a 8 ounce water filter on a electric nylon mini pump 16 grams inside my backpack to fill my 2 liter water bladder in 2 minutes using 3 of the 123R camera batteries to power the mini water pump, I get about 40 gallons on a set of batteries.
But anytime I see my bladder is running low and see a creek or river or lake, I have a tube tucked in above the waist belt behind my back about 4 feet long hooked to the mini battery pump in my backpack.
So, I can stick the tube in any water source and draw up 2 liters with a little push of my 3 gram button on my waist belt and I hid the .005 gram wires inside the belt so they can't be seen.
So if I see a boardwalk swamp even, I can pull the 4 foot draw hose out the side of my backpack and a little push of the button and in 2 minutes I'm on my way with 2 liters of clear water. Did I say I don't take the backpack off for this 3 or 4 minute deal? Just tuck the draw hose back behind my back and pull it out the other side and put and cap on it and keep hiking. No pumping for me.:-?

Youngblood
12-03-2004, 11:06
water filter in pack

I have installed a 8 ounce water filter on a electric nylon mini pump 16 grams inside my backpack to fill my 2 liter water bladder in 2 minutes using 3 of the 123R camera batteries to power the mini water pump, I get about 40 gallons on a set of batteries.
But anytime I see my bladder is running low and see a creek or river or lake, I have a tube tucked in above the waist belt behind my back about 4 feet long hooked to the mini battery pump in my backpack.
So, I can stick the tube in any water source and draw up 2 liters with a little push of my 3 gram button on my waist belt and I hid the .005 gram wires inside the belt so they can't be seen.
So if I see a boardwalk swamp even, I can pull the 4 foot draw hose out the side of my backpack and a little push of the button and in 2 minutes I'm on my way with 2 liters of clear water. Did I say I don't take the backpack off for this 3 or 4 minute deal? Just tuck the draw hose back behind my back and pull it out the other side and put and cap on it and keep hiking. No pumping for me.:-?

Good luck. My cleaver gravity filter scheme a few years back didn't pan out, I got tired of messing with blocked up filters. That is one of those areas that is really difficult to try out at home, field conditions always threw something at me that I hadn't figured on and couldn't figure out how to get around easily enough to make it worthwhile. I did my 'shakedowns' on shorter backpacking trips and carried a backup chemical treatment to use in case I really needed it. Two tries in the field convinced me that 'chemical treat as necessary' was the way I wanted to go... but filtered water is nice.

Youngblood

fuzz
12-04-2004, 00:43
the mini gets a thumbs down from me. it is small for a filter, but about 3 or 4 times slower and harder to pump than the slightly larger filters that I've tried. The mosquitos really had time to zero in on me with the amount of time I spent pumping with that thing.

Youngblood
12-04-2004, 10:00
... The mosquitos really had time to zero in on me with the amount of time I spent pumping with that thing.

You say that as if it was a problem... didn't you use one of your offical 'time outs', like when you want to eat lunch? :banana

Enough of the humor. You make a great point about time and difficulty. We sometimes forget about such things and think that while we are in the woods that time doesn't really matter much and so what if one approach takes another 5 or 10 minutes. Most times that is fine, however, if swarms of mosquitos are terrorizing you, you are cold & wet and the wind is causing your hands to freeze, etc... a few minutes can be a big deal. Sorry about the smart ass comment, it brought back some memories that seem kind of humorous... now!

Youngblood