PDA

View Full Version : Rice in under 2 minutes

Graywolf
09-29-2010, 20:27
Ok, we have read it before. Rice takes too long and consumes too much fuel for backpacking.. Or does it!! I just tried an Uncle Bens "Long and Wild Rice" foil pack. Now these come with water already in the rice. So need to add water. I did add about 2 tablespoons just out of habit, bt I do not think it would need it. I added a pack of albacore tuna with tomato pesto with this. Once I had the good ol'e Trangia fired up, I placed the pot on the stove, with a timer set. Viol'a.. 2 minutes hot and ready.. Now, mind you, you must stir or it could burn the bottom of the pot, but it was wonderful and tasted delicious..

One note, the packet of rice is kinda heavy, but in comparison to Mountain House it seemed lighter. And cost much less..

Now that I did the test, I must take this out for the REAL test..

Graywolf

mweinstone
09-29-2010, 20:50
take the longest cooking rice in the world. use enough fuel and water to cook it normaly till done. this will require two things. both of witch are mentle decisions needing no special equiptment, cost or trouble. one. that you carry the weight of only the burger part of a big mac in deticated rice cooking fuel. and two. that you alot time enough to cook your life sustaining food. if you are sucsessful you will suffer no ill effects. but that your weird obsession with weight carryied down to the ounces of fuel for a good meal....well....if your willing to bargin meals,...next comes warmth,...and finnaly,...your giveing up clothing in the name of the god of ultralight. who by the way is a sucky god.carry fuel. take a nap. eat rice. avoid ramman.yeah!

SMSP
09-29-2010, 21:10
I have seen those as well, they do seem heavy. Will have to buy one and weigh compared to say Mtn Hse Rice & Chicken.

SMSP

mweinstone
09-29-2010, 21:28
with a pile of twigs and 45 minutes and a cup of rice i can make two meals of a quality not to be forsaken while thruhiking. like adding ramps or garlic or any thing you want what with all that boiling time you can rumage for things to throw in. or just salt and butter for the fats we so sorely need. cheesy rice is number one in most rice circles.the fact is that after everyone else has woofed down their instawoof,..they get around to noticing youve been boiling a while. they ask,....what are you cooking? and you say,..beans. or...rice. and then while your eating minutes later, they discuss the merits of bringing maby just one long cooking meal next time in place of a raman or two. in a low whisper. as they lear with glisteny eyes. i keep my staff near in these rice or bean eating moments. yall aint eatin right.

4eyedbuzzard
09-29-2010, 22:34
with a pile of twigs and 45 minutes and a cup of rice i can make two meals of a quality not to be forsaken while thruhiking. like adding ramps or garlic or any thing you want what with all that boiling time you can rumage for things to throw in. or just salt and butter for the fats we so sorely need. cheesy rice is number one in most rice circles.the fact is that after everyone else has woofed down their instawoof,..they get around to noticing youve been boiling a while. they ask,....what are you cooking? and you say,..beans. or...rice. and then while your eating minutes later, they discuss the merits of bringing maby just one long cooking meal next time in place of a raman or two. in a low whisper. as they lear with glisteny eyes. i keep my staff near in these rice or bean eating moments. yall aint eatin right.

Surprisingly coherent, and tasty sounding. Why people obsess over fuel weight and cooking time and such has always mystified me a bit when the woods are full of free fuel you don't have to carry. A little soot on a cook pot is a wonderful thing.

Smile
09-29-2010, 22:37
You can also soak rice or other heavy grains/nuts all day in water ( not too much, some in a double zip baggie) and they are much easier to prepare by the time dinner comes. Warmer weather speeds this up as well.

JAK
09-29-2010, 22:47
Real rice good. Fake rice bad.
Eat real foods. Avoid food-like substances.

Stir Fry
09-29-2010, 23:15
Both rice and posta can be pre-soaked about 1 to 1'1/2 hr. before cooking and they will be done with in a min or two after the water boils. Befor frized dryed tasted good, we would pre soak dryed beans all day and cook at night. Things now are just more convienent, so no need to think ahead.

Odd Man Out
09-29-2010, 23:21
My last trip I cooked rice and lentils. Mix in equal proportions and add two to three volumes of waters, seasoning (dried soup mix, curry, etc), and meat if you want. Bring to boil, remove from stove and let set in pot cozy (I just wrapped in a dish towel) for 30 minutes. This doesn't use any more fuel than needed to boil the water. It uses just plain old rice and lentils (not instant) and no pre-soaking necessary. I also find that the Indian-style rice (Basmati or Jasmine) seems to cook a bit faster and tastes really good, if you can get it.

Wise Old Owl
09-29-2010, 23:23
As I have read the thread and understand what you are excited about I personally I am on the fence. Here is why, I was informed by a good friend that ordinary Rice and Beans that have long cook times can be presoaked in gatorade bottle or "set up" after lunch and by Dinner are ready to cook in two minutes upon arrival. Weight 3-4 oz per half cup.

Now as I post this let me be clear... I don't really remember what the proportions or time is so as I write this I set up a cup of water and slightly more than 1/2 a cup to soak right now to find out if this is true.

What I do know is: (Uncle Bens)

WATER; PARBOILED LONG GRAIN RICE; TOMATOES; POBLANO PEPPERS; CANOLA AND/OR SUNFLOWER OIL†; TOMATO POWDER; SALT; SUGAR; GARLIC POWDER; SPICES; CHICKEN FAT‡; ONION POWDER; NATURAL FLAVORS; AUTOLYZED YEAST EXTRACT; MALTODEXTRIN; CHICKEN BROTH*; CITRIC ACID; PAPRIKA EXTRACT (COLOR); MODIFIED CORN STARCH; SOYBEAN OIL; NIACIN; FERRIC ORTHOPHOSPHATE; THIAMIN MONONITRATE; FOLIC ACID. *DRIED

is (Uncle Bens) and (Near East) which is worse, basically unhealthy due to:

Serving Size: 1 cup (144 g)
Servings Per Container: about 2

Calories: 200
Calories from Fat: 20
http://www.unclebens.com/rice/ready-rice-spanish-style-rice.aspx

( if you eat the entire packet is sodium 1360mg Near East is 2020mg.)

The govt total daily recommendation which is a high 2400mg.

So if you are doing rice by itself and adding a dash of soy, it might be better for you.

I will get back to you with the result,

Graywolf
09-30-2010, 00:40
As I have read the thread and understand what you are excited about I personally I am on the fence. Here is why, I was informed by a good friend that ordinary Rice and Beans that have long cook times can be presoaked in gatorade bottle or "set up" after lunch and by Dinner are ready to cook in two minutes upon arrival. Weight 3-4 oz per half cup.

Now as I post this let me be clear... I don't really remember what the proportions or time is so as I write this I set up a cup of water and slightly more than 1/2 a cup to soak right now to find out if this is true.

What I do know is: (Uncle Bens)

WATER; PARBOILED LONG GRAIN RICE; TOMATOES; POBLANO PEPPERS; CANOLA AND/OR SUNFLOWER OIL†; TOMATO POWDER; SALT; SUGAR; GARLIC POWDER; SPICES; CHICKEN FAT‡; ONION POWDER; NATURAL FLAVORS; AUTOLYZED YEAST EXTRACT; MALTODEXTRIN; CHICKEN BROTH*; CITRIC ACID; PAPRIKA EXTRACT (COLOR); MODIFIED CORN STARCH; SOYBEAN OIL; NIACIN; FERRIC ORTHOPHOSPHATE; THIAMIN MONONITRATE; FOLIC ACID. *DRIED

is (Uncle Bens) and (Near East) which is worse, basically unhealthy due to:

Serving Size: 1 cup (144 g)
Servings Per Container: about 2

Calories: 200
Calories from Fat: 20
http://www.unclebens.com/rice/ready-rice-spanish-style-rice.aspx

( if you eat the entire packet is sodium 1360mg Near East is 2020mg.)

The govt total daily recommendation which is a high 2400mg.

So if you are doing rice by itself and adding a dash of soy, it might be better for you.

I will get back to you with the result,

Good thoughts.. And I might add, most instant rice calls for butter, hence, some of your fat..

That said, once again, I might add, this requires NO BOILING WATER. No Prep, just wamr and eat. It works. had some today my self cooked and tested in my Trangia and viol'a, it worked.. No waiting.. I must say, yes, it is Uncle Bens, but what have ya, Mountain House, Ramens, or Uncle bens, whats the difference? Mountain House requires boiling hot water which takes several minutes, using up fuel. Like wise with Ramen. This takes NO Boiling Time, very, very, Little, IF ANY water. So there you have it. Done, Fire up the stove, put in pot, pot on stove, warm up (no cook), eat and be marry. Takes less then 2 minutes flat. And you used hardly any fuel.

I for one enjoy the other meals, but I have seen posted here in this forum many, many times on boiling times, havig to wait for water to boil, wasteing fuel, etc. This way, you are finished. hey I like it. And throw in some beans, oh yes, this is GOOD!!

IronGutsTommy
09-30-2010, 01:14
food is all about the creature comforts. although your uncle bens needs no water/little fuel, which is good, i never worry about fuel or water etc when it comes to feeding myself. im worth whatever i use up. alot of hikers look at eAting and sleeping as a last minute thing to do before getting up in the morning to hike some more. i make sure to enjoy it all, some days 15 to 20 miles, some a lil less. i try to get going in the morning in time so when i arrive at camp for the night.. it ISNT night.. call me crazy but i love having the time to read or write a bit by natural light, cook a decent meal, pack a bowl or two, set up a campfire, etc before i sleep. just because sleep, rest, and food are needs along the trail as opposed to wants doesnt mean we should hold so little importance in them as to spend every waking second hiking. if youve got the time... TAKE IT!! practice your harmonica, talk with someone where you can actually look them in the eyes as you chat. tell a ghost story or two. take a zero day!!!

Miner
09-30-2010, 01:20
Am I missing something? I often cook instant brown rice or white Minute Rice on the trail (it made up about 1/3 of my dinners on the PCT). I just boil water on my alchool stove and pour it in my freezer bag of rice/dehyrdated veggies/soap mixture and let it sit in my coozy and eat when its done. Cooking Lipton Rice sides is the same. How is this different then cooking Couscous or Mashed Potatoes on the trail? I have even eaten rice meals by just soaking it in water as I hiked and it comes out tolerable.

Iceaxe
09-30-2010, 02:16
Hey Miner! Good to see you on here!
I second what Miner said. I went stoveless this year for the CDT and still ate Knorr Sides and Idahoans along the way.
I used a cheap ziplock container with a snap lid about 4 cup capacity. For Lipton.. Well KNORR sides with noodles I would be sure to top off the container completely before snapping the lid leaving no air inside. this prevented the noodles from turning to soup. For rice dishes I would leave a bit of air inside for agitation as I hiked on. In about an hour the the noodle dishes were perfectly edible. The rice dishes took about 2 hours to completely hydrate. No stove, No fuel, just add water and hike on.
I found that Idahoans and potato buds were hydrated almost instantly. I would add them to my zip lock bowl, add water, snap the lid on, and shake for 10 seconds. Wait about a minute after that and just eat the mashed potaoes cold... Just like leftovers on Thanksgiving.
I know it ain't everyones gig to go stoveless. It also doesn't really save all that much weight. Stoveless means I can't make hot water bottles for my feet in my bag on cold wet nights either so there is a safety issue. But I will say it was liberating and I fully intend to remain stoveless for the AT next year.
One way I "spruced up" my cold taters was to add fritos, powdered milk, and even oatmeal. Actually the oatmeal came about by accident but it turns out the "Tater/Oats" is really very tasty.
Another great cold dish is Instant rice+sugar+vanilla flavored carnation instant breakfast. I just mixed all the ingredients in my lidded bowl, added water and hiked on till dark (An Hour is long enough). The result was my bedtime Rice Pudding snack!
Anyhow I think I went wayyy off topic. Sorry, I am Californian.. we tend to do that.
It is possible to rehydrate and eat any of the Knorr sides and Idahoan type products without a stove. Whether you like the way they taste cold it another story. Personally I find all of the flavors good cold except Alfredo. Things with Teriaki (Knorr Teriaki Noodles) I find are the quickest to rehydrate and tastiest cold. :D All of Knorr's rice dishes were great cold. IMHO Of course it occurs to me that I already divulged my penchant for "Tater/Oats".. Forget everything I said! :banana

Wise Old Owl
09-30-2010, 07:12
Miner you arn't missing anything....Rice and Beans absorb water without cooking. Cooking cuts the time to minutes.

Parboiled Rice puffs up in room tempreture water 1 cup water to 1/2 cup rice under 8 hours suggest a gatorade bottle then transfer to stove-heat and serve.

fiddlehead
09-30-2010, 07:49
A little advice on rice as a power food:
Try Thai Sweet Rice (called Sticky Rice also), it has more calories than regular white rice, and is thicker and easier to eat with your hands the way Thai people do.

Spokes
09-30-2010, 08:19
.....on a side note, I've stopped cooking rice at home the traditional way and now cook it just I would pasta. So much easier.

Bring a pot full of water to a boil, add the rice, cook until just barely tender, then drain the rice in a colander. Return to the hot pot and cover; let stand for a few minutes to steam and fluff.

Yummy!

Wise Old Owl
09-30-2010, 23:24
Spokes - I bet pasta can absorb in 6 hours too!

Miner
10-01-2010, 00:24
Cookless noodles... My experience with that wasn't so good (at least with the Lipton Noodle sides). Sure it was eatable after soaking in water. But I thought the noodles were a bit too doughy and it was only raw hunger that made me finish the whole thing.

Graywolf
10-01-2010, 00:24
Ok, I understand waht you are all saying, but you still dont hear me. No WATER or VERy VERY Little, like 2 tablespoons, Done in 2 minutes. No waitingteh entire day to rehydrate, Nothing..

But I do like what Iron Tummy said. I also like to enjoy cooking, and I enjoy just sitting and relaxing as my food cooks. But this I thought was totaly cool..

Once again, NO WATER, 2 minute Cooking, hardly any Fuel used.. PERIOD...

People here seem to be Weight Concious so I thought I would chime this in.. Hope you figured it out now..

No Water, hence, No carrying extra water waiting for food to rehydrate. uses hardly any fuel.. 2 minutes. Peroid.. Thats It!!!.. I hope I am speaking English here and not Greek..

Iceaxe
10-01-2010, 13:14
Ok, we have read it before. Rice takes too long and consumes too much fuel for backpacking.. Or does it!! I just tried an Uncle Bens "Long and Wild Rice" foil pack. Now these come with water already in the rice. So need to add water. I did add about 2 tablespoons just out of habit, bt I do not think it would need it. I added a pack of albacore tuna with tomato pesto with this. Once I had the good ol'e Trangia fired up, I placed the pot on the stove, with a timer set. Viol'a.. 2 minutes hot and ready.. Now, mind you, you must stir or it could burn the bottom of the pot, but it was wonderful and tasted delicious..

One note, the packet of rice is kinda heavy, but in comparison to Mountain House it seemed lighter. And cost much less..

Now that I did the test, I must take this out for the REAL test..

Graywolf

Actually you are right Graywolf.. I never imagined you were talking about foil pack rice nor did I ever consider carrying such a heavy foodstuff on a thru hike.
I have seen those uncle Ben's precooked foil packs. Basically you are carrying all the water ALL the time. So you are not saving anything by not having to add water to these foil pack meals.
They are really tasty though.
I can tell you that you will not see too many folks flocking to "wet" food on the other trails though. Water is heavy but it's availiable everywhere. The thru's I have met went out of their way to avoid carrying any more weight than they had to and water in food or otherwise is one of the few variables we can control. Carrying a pre-cooked sack of rice is no different than carrying a sack of rice presoaking in water.
Frankly Uncle Bens Ready Rice Foil Pack Brown rice at 5oz per 220 calories is pretty a pretty sad source of energy for the typical hungry hiker.
Lets think about this. Thats 660 calories for 15 ounces or 704 calories to the pound.
A knorr rice side has 220 calories per 2.25 ounces or 1564 calories to the pound.
The difference is not the rice itself.. it's the water weight.
(All nutritional info taken from Uncle Ben's and Knorr websites respectively)
It's true you can carry precooked, wet rice and therefore go cookless but you pay a weight penalty far in excess of the weight of a stove and fuel to do so.
Carrying the dry grains and presoaking for a few hours while hiking surely means less weight carried most of the time and if eaten cold also means no cook and therefore saves the weight of both stove and fuel.
Even carrying a soda can alcohol sotve and a bit of fuel is going to be lighter than a pack full of prehydrated foodstuff all the time.
So.. 2 minute no-cook foil pack rice, is also the heaviest, for the least food value, way to go.

Dicentra
10-01-2010, 13:22
You can pre-cook both rice and pasta and then dry it, making it instant. Any kind of rice works for this too!

SullyJoe
10-01-2010, 14:32
I have to agree with the pre-soaking method... and not just rice. I soak oats overnight to have ready for breakfast, and quinoa is one of the best trail foods i have found. (it's the only non-meat complete protien) as for water ratios, 2-1 works for just about any grain or oat.

Wise Old Owl
10-01-2010, 21:38
Ok, I understand waht you are all saying, but you still dont hear me. No WATER or VERy VERY Little, like 2 tablespoons, Done in 2 minutes. No waitingteh entire day to rehydrate, Nothing..

But I do like what Iron Tummy said. I also like to enjoy cooking, and I enjoy just sitting and relaxing as my food cooks. But this I thought was totaly cool..

Once again, NO WATER, 2 minute Cooking, hardly any Fuel used.. PERIOD...

People here seem to be Weight Concious so I thought I would chime this in.. Hope you figured it out now..

No Water, hence, No carrying extra water waiting for food to rehydrate. uses hardly any fuel.. 2 minutes. Peroid.. Thats It!!!.. I hope I am speaking English here and not Greek..

Now I am stumped again - if the packet has water why would this work out over many meals - water weight would be detremental.

Graywolf
10-03-2010, 01:45
Ok, OK, I see your point and your right, it is a little on the heavy side,as for water weight goes. But the calories are higher. I dont have the pack in front of me at the moment, but it is over 220 calories, and is not a side. It feeds 2 people. Adding salmon or tune into it raises the calories a bit. We all know that Calories is very much on everyones mind on long hikes and thrus. That true. But Ramen noodles has much much less calories then these. But of course, they are lighter weight..These have different flavors and packed with REAL vegetables. I had the Tomato Peso with sun dried tomatos. It was great with out the tuna. Lets face it, its a hard decision between weight/calories, and ramen and mac and cheese, losses out on this one.. And so does all the other rice. The speed, the cost of LESS fuel, no prep or waiting time, after all I ahve read here on WB concerning these issues, I'm surprised everyone is dissing this.

Oh well, I tried.. maybe I will post a demo video.. or maybe not..:-? Anyhow, It is interesting and on short or section hikes, Im willing to give these a try..

SullyJoe
10-03-2010, 02:20
Graywolf,
On short hikes, these foil packs are great for convienience... especially since they have veggies. However, for me, it comes down to nutritional value on a long distance hike. A bag of whole grain rice is very cheap, and since it has never been cooked, ot retains all of ots nutritional value. Presoaking means you carry the water weight for only an hour before you eat it, and it still only takes a minute or two to heat it up. Overall, it's less time carrying that water weight, and you get more nutritional value which is more difficult the longer you are in the woods(not to mention cheaper). For shorter hikrs, though, i think your method is great, and have used it myself with foil pack salmon and squeeze butter. In fact, the guys we shared a shelter with on mt lecont wete jealous of our dinner.

Hikes in Rain
10-03-2010, 08:53
You know, right now there are long stretches where the springs and streams are dry, and you have to carry all the water you'll need. Does it make sense to carry water to add to dry food, or to carry something like this?

I use these at home, Greywolf, for those evenings where we both have worked really late and don't want the time or effort to really cook something. Haven't tried them in the woods yet, but for a dry stretch, I think it's a good idea.

.ghost.
03-13-2011, 20:39
My last trip I cooked rice and lentils. Mix in equal proportions and add two to three volumes of waters, seasoning (dried soup mix, curry, etc), and meat if you want. Bring to boil, remove from stove and let set in pot cozy (I just wrapped in a dish towel) for 30 minutes. This doesn't use any more fuel than needed to boil the water. It uses just plain old rice and lentils (not instant) and no pre-soaking necessary. I also find that the Indian-style rice (Basmati or Jasmine) seems to cook a bit faster and tastes really good, if you can get it.

Awesome, I have been looking for a recipe that involves beans and rice one pot with 0 rehydrating. Can't wait to try it out.

sheepdog
03-13-2011, 21:00
You know, right now there are long stretches where the springs and streams are dry, and you have to carry all the water you'll need. Does it make sense to carry water to add to dry food, or to carry something like this?

I use these at home, Greywolf, for those evenings where we both have worked really late and don't want the time or effort to really cook something. Haven't tried them in the woods yet, but for a dry stretch, I think it's a good idea.
The benefit of carrying real rice is you only have to carry the water the day you are going to eat it. If you eat the package of rice with water in it on your last day, you carried that water a long time.

wornoutboots
03-13-2011, 21:19
You can also soak rice or other heavy grains/nuts all day in water ( not too much, some in a double zip baggie) and they are much easier to prepare by the time dinner comes. Warmer weather speeds this up as well.

So does that work good? say maybe take a nalagen bottle, fill it with a few cups of rice @ 2 hrs b4 dinner, then boil it for a few minutes & it's fine? Iknow it's really good for you & I never bring it because it never gets done.

Thanks, good thread!