PDA

View Full Version : WalMart Version of Knorr Rice Mix

SMSP
09-29-2010, 21:25
Wal-Mart sells its own brand of Broccoli/Cheese Rice mix, their version of Knorr stuff. It cost around 15-16 cents less than the Knorr brand. I gave a pack a trial run tonight. The instruction state to add contents to 2 cups of water and bring to a boil, then simmer for 7 minutes. I used a MSR Titan Kettle and a Vargo Decagon alcohol stove with about 1 ounce of SLX denatured alcohol. What I did was bring to boil the 2 cups of water, which took about 8 minutes. I added the rice mix and stirred, then recovered the pot and let the remaining fuel burn out. Of course, when I added the rice contents, it ended the boil. By the time the remainder of the fuel ran out, the rice mix started to bubble a little, but not boil. I then let it stand covered for 10 minutes. It was done and ready to eat, but a little bit soupy and too hot to eat IMO. I let stand another 10 minutes, rice not soupy, good to go. Well, this would be time consuming for lunch on the trail, but for dinner at camp, I'd say worth doing. Get this going once one reaches camp, do other camp chores while it's cooking and standing. Oh, and its very tasty IMO.

SMSP

mweinstone
09-29-2010, 21:38
i like your determination. whats the sodium content of that brand please.

SMSP
09-29-2010, 22:58
I didnt even look at that, but it's 900 per 1/2 cup prepared. it has a total of 2.5 servings. Wow, that seems high.

Well, I ate the whole thing, which was too much. For solo, IMO, would be good to divide in half and put in ziplock type baggie. The entire serving would seem to be good for 2-3 people.

Whats good about doing these types of test runs is I get experience with my cooking set-up and familiar with burn times, etc...

SMSP

Trailbender
09-29-2010, 23:04
I use the knorr rice sides like a mountain house. Pour boiling water into the pouch and fold the top over a couple times. I did this for half my thru, threw in a tuna pouch for dinner.

daddytwosticks
09-30-2010, 07:38
Try pouring the rice into the pot BEFORE you put it on the stove to cook...:)

bulldog49
09-30-2010, 08:44
[QUOTE=SMSP;1054895]Wal-Mart sells its own brand of Broccoli/Cheese Rice mix, their version of Knorr stuff. It cost around 15-16 cents less than the Knorr brand. I gave a pack a trial run tonight. The instruction state to add contents to 2 cups of water and bring to a boil, then simmer for 7 minutes. I used a MSR Titan Kettle and a Vargo Decagon alcohol stove with about 1 ounce of SLX denatured alcohol. What I did was bring to boil the 2 cups of water, which took about 8 minutes. I added the rice mix and stirred, then recovered the pot and let the remaining fuel burn out. Of course, when I added the rice contents, it ended the boil. By the time the remainder of the fuel ran out, the rice mix started to bubble a little, but not boil. I then let it stand covered for 10 minutes. It was done and ready to eat, but a little bit soupy and too hot to eat IMO. I let stand another 10 minutes, rice not soupy, good to go. Well, this would be time consuming for lunch on the trail, but for dinner at camp, I'd say worth doing. Get this going once one reaches camp, do other camp chores while it's cooking and standing. Oh, and its very tasty IMO.

Hmm..... 1/2 hour to fix rice and save 16cents? No thanks.

Blissful
09-30-2010, 19:46
That's why I don't use alcohol stoves. With my pocket rocket these mixes work out great.

Trailbender
10-02-2010, 10:58
That's why I don't use alcohol stoves. With my pocket rocket these mixes work out great.

Alcohol stoves take twice as long to boil water, but they are cheaper(free), don't produce garbage(fuel canisters), and did I mention free? I personally prefer an esbit tab stove. I can get 24+ burns out of 6 ounces of Esbit tabs, and my stove is just a bent piece of sheet metal.

Turtle Feet
10-02-2010, 11:16
In the mid-west Roundy stores (Pick 'n Save) have had the Knorrs packets on sale for about a month - a $1 ea. I'm not a huge fan of these, but the price certainly can't be ignored.

russb
10-02-2010, 12:25
Alcohol stoves take twice as long to boil water, but they are cheaper(free), don't produce garbage(fuel canisters), and did I mention free? I personally prefer an esbit tab stove. I can get 24+ burns out of 6 ounces of Esbit tabs, and my stove is just a bent piece of sheet metal.

Some alcohol stoves might take twice as long as some canister stoves. But the wide range of alcohol burners available, all with differing speeds and efficiencies make this a very broad generalization. Assuming it is true for a person, however, we are talking about less than 3 minutes. Maybe I am different than most people on the trail, but one of the reasons I enjoy the woods is to get away from being a slave to the clock. Lastly, if one uses their pot to cook in, as the water is heating it is re-hydrating the food. In the end the time saved coming to a boil is balanced out by increased "simmer" or wait time after the boil. At least in my experience. Oh, I use home dehydrated meals and as mentioned, cook in the pot (not freezer-bag). We are now in my favorite backpacking season. enjoy yourselves out there.

SMSP
10-07-2010, 14:38
Yeah, I expereinced something on my last overnighter. I was sitting next to the lake getting ready to prepare my dinner. There was another fella down a bit on the levee setting up his telescope for star gazing and a an older couple further down the levee from. I'd that couple was 200-300 feet down from me (actually across the water from me). I was close to the corner of the lake. Anyway, I got my Pocket Rocket going and they immediately looked my way to see what was going on. They heard the sound of the PR going, which we all know, is like a mini Rocket. I disrupted the quitness for a few minutes. Anyway, just an observation.

SMSP

DuctTape
10-14-2010, 22:06
I'm addicted to Knorr sides. Try a little less water for faster cooking, like about 1 and 2/3 cups. It gets easy to eyeball the water level after a few times, especially if you're like me at about 800 billion served.

Mountain Mike
03-24-2011, 23:41
Knoors are a staple for me on the trail. My job keeps me on the road so much that dehydrating is inpraticle. A packet makes a decent meal & throw in a foil pack of meat or when hungry.

weary
03-26-2011, 17:25
Wal-Mart sells its own brand of Broccoli/Cheese Rice mix, their version of Knorr stuff. It cost around 15-16 cents less than the Knorr brand. I gave a pack a trial run tonight. The instruction state to add contents to 2 cups of water and bring to a boil, then simmer for 7 minutes. I used a MSR Titan Kettle and a Vargo Decagon alcohol stove with about 1 ounce of SLX denatured alcohol. What I did was bring to boil the 2 cups of water, which took about 8 minutes. I added the rice mix and stirred, then recovered the pot and let the remaining fuel burn out. Of course, when I added the rice contents, it ended the boil. By the time the remainder of the fuel ran out, the rice mix started to bubble a little, but not boil. I then let it stand covered for 10 minutes. It was done and ready to eat, but a little bit soupy and too hot to eat IMO. I let stand another 10 minutes, rice not soupy, good to go. Well, this would be time consuming for lunch on the trail, but for dinner at camp, I'd say worth doing. Get this going once one reaches camp, do other camp chores while it's cooking and standing. Oh, and its very tasty IMO.
SMSP
The Walmart version of the Knorr broccoli and cheese sells for 94 cents at the Walmart near me. The Knorr sides mostly had tags saying they sold for $1. Though some were priced at $1.46. The supermarket where I do most of my shopping had the genuine Knorr sides all priced at $1 each.

I didn't do a broad price comparison. But I did notice on the way out that bananas at Walmart were selling for 79 cents a pound. The competing supermarket was selling bananas for 59 cents. A couple of days ago I brought three pounds of supermarket apples for $1 a pound. Walmart today was selling all their apples for $1.47 a pound.

If I get the time and inclination, I may do a broader price comparison some time. But nothing I've seen lately suggests that I'm wrong when I say that Walmart is living on its reputation for low prices, as the new CEO of American Walmart stores suggested in a Wall Street Journal story a few days ago.

th

Tenderheart
03-26-2011, 18:14

Yep, that will sure save time and fuel. Wal-Mart doesn't make rice side dishes. They just put the Great Value name on Knorr or Lipton sides. Folks often steer away from generic brands, when often it is the same thing at a reduced price.

litefoot 2000

sarbar
04-04-2011, 20:35
If you want to eat the mixes divide in half and then add in a whole bunch of dehydrated vegetables (rehydrated beforehand, just soak in cool water) and meat if desired. That way you get a full meal and a lot less of the sodium!

harryfred
04-04-2011, 21:24
I use the knorr rice sides like a mountain house. Pour boiling water into the pouch and fold the top over a couple times. I did this for half my thru, threw in a tuna pouch for dinner.
Make sure to give the pouch a good shake to mix up all the ingredients. also if you want to eat sooner without it being soupy only add about1 and 3/4 water the rice will be a little chewy but edible. Oh and I like the Spanish rice.

harryfred
04-04-2011, 21:51

I used home made alky stoves for a long time. considering I used the product that came it the container the stove was free as was what ever I made a wind screen out of. Alcohol is cheap compared to fuel canisters. I saw where you could get a whole alky cook set from Campmor stove pots wind screen for round $22. I now have a Optimus Cruix the whole set with a folding spork and a cannister cost me around $85. I love it, but I still like my old alkys and they let me do a lot of hiking I would not have done had I waited to get a cannister stove. I've eaten a lot of rice sides made just like the OP described. I've learned a few tricks to speed things up and make things better and he will also. Maybe down the road he'll decide he would like the convenience of a cannister stove. Oh, and I agree for fast and light Esbit can't be beat, except for stoveless.

Majortrauma
04-04-2011, 22:41
BINGO!!!!!
"If I get the time and inclination, I may do a broader price comparison some time. But nothing I've seen lately suggests that I'm wrong when I say that Walmart is living on its reputation for low prices, as the new CEO of American Walmart stores suggested in a Wall Street Journal story a few days ago"
I avoid Walmart at all costs. I can find no redeeming quality in Walmart products whatsoever. THis has nothing to do with Unionizing or anything political. I think it's one of the biggest scams in the country being perpetrated on the middle class.

Tinker
04-04-2011, 23:59

I'm afraid it will turn out to be mush like pasta does, so I've never tried it. I'd rather let the water come to a boil first.

Of course now I'll have to try it since I've already knocked it. :o

MedicineMan
04-05-2011, 03:32
what TrailBender said +1
hard to spill espit too...
and those canisters...I don't want to see any greenie carrying one