PDA

View Full Version : Parking at road crossings in GA/NC

map man
09-29-2010, 21:49
I'm hiking with two friends for nine days starting a week-and-a-half from now from Springer on into southern North Carolina. I'm wondering about places we can park a minivan. Maps are telling me where there is supposed to be overnight parking at trailheads at these locations (I also list mileage from Springer).

USFS 42 -- .9 miles
Ga 60 (Woody Gap) -- 19.9 miles
U.S. 19/129 (Neels Gap) -- 30.5 miles
Ga 348 (Tesnatee Gap) -- 36.0 miles
Ga 348 (Hog Pen Gap) -- 36.9 miles
Ga 75 (Unicoi Gap) -- 50.5 miles
USFS 79 (Tray Gap) -- 54.9 miles
US 76 (Dicks Creek Gap) -- 66.6 miles
USFS 71 (Deep Gap) -- 82.2 miles
USFS 67 (Bear Pen Trail to trailhead) -- 96.6 miles
Rock Gap -- 102.9 miles
Old US 64 (Wallace Gap) -- 103.5 miles
NC 1310 (Wayah Gap) -- 112.5 miles
Wayah Bald -- 116.7 miles
NC 1365 (Tellico Gap) -- 126.0 miles
US 19, US 74 (Wesser) -- 133.9 miles

Are any of these places not so great places to park? Any history of vandalism at any of these locations?

There are several road crossings between USFS 42 and Woody Gap. Is there any place to park just during the day (not overnight) at any of these places to break up that 19 mile stretch?

USFS 58 (Three Forks) -- 4.1 miles from Springer
USFS 42/69 (Hightower Gap) -- 8.1 miles
USFS 42/80 (Cooper Gap) -- 11.6 miles
USFS 42 (Gooch Gap) -- 16.3 miles

Any help would be appreciated. After hiking a lot of other places, this will be my first hiking on the AT!

MoodyBluer
09-29-2010, 22:24
I'm hiking with two friends for nine days starting a week-and-a-half from now from Springer on into southern North Carolina. I'm wondering about places we can park a minivan. Maps are telling me where there is supposed to be overnight parking at trailheads at these locations (I also list mileage from Springer).

USFS 42 -- .9 miles
Ga 60 (Woody Gap) -- 19.9 miles
U.S. 19/129 (Neels Gap) -- 30.5 miles
Ga 348 (Tesnatee Gap) -- 36.0 miles
Ga 348 (Hog Pen Gap) -- 36.9 miles
Ga 75 (Unicoi Gap) -- 50.5 miles
USFS 79 (Tray Gap) -- 54.9 miles
US 76 (Dicks Creek Gap) -- 66.6 miles
USFS 71 (Deep Gap) -- 82.2 miles
USFS 67 (Bear Pen Trail to trailhead) -- 96.6 miles
Rock Gap -- 102.9 miles
Old US 64 (Wallace Gap) -- 103.5 miles
NC 1310 (Wayah Gap) -- 112.5 miles
Wayah Bald -- 116.7 miles
NC 1365 (Tellico Gap) -- 126.0 miles
US 19, US 74 (Wesser) -- 133.9 miles

Are any of these places not so great places to park? Any history of vandalism at any of these locations?

There are several road crossings between USFS 42 and Woody Gap. Is there any place to park just during the day (not overnight) at any of these places to break up that 19 mile stretch?

USFS 58 (Three Forks) -- 4.1 miles from Springer
USFS 42/69 (Hightower Gap) -- 8.1 miles
USFS 42/80 (Cooper Gap) -- 11.6 miles
USFS 42 (Gooch Gap) -- 16.3 miles

Any help would be appreciated. After hiking a lot of other places, this will be my first hiking on the AT!

Parking at Three Forks would be problematic as it's narrow where the trail crosses it but there are plenty of campgrounds a short distance (100-200 yds) away where you could park around there...think parking at Hightower and Cooper Gaps is fine...don't recall parking situation at Gooch...might consider shuttling using Hiker Hostel nearby (near Dahlonega)...they will shuttle you to points in that 20 mike stretch (or anywhere else in Ga)...just search for Hiker Hostel on this site.

fredmugs
09-30-2010, 08:41
I have seen vandalized vehicles on US 64 so definitely do not park there. I have heard that pretty much anywhere between there and Springer is risky.

generoll
09-30-2010, 09:17
Both Dicks Creek and Unicoi Gaps have always been safe places to park. The parking lot a Byron Reece is now open so parking at Neels Gap won't be a problem. The Wallace Gap/Rock Gap parking lot is in the Standing Indian campground area and does get patrolled. I've heard but cannot confirm that Woody Gap is also safe. The Tray Gap parking area is on a Forest Service road and doesn't get used much. Your call, but I wouldn't leave my car there. Deep Gap gets used frequently as a parking area and so far no bad reports of that area. Bear Pen is an unknown as far as leaving a car there. Some daytrippers drive up there to the fire tower and it's a bit isolated. I guess it all depends. Some places just look better to me then others.

Hadn't heard of the problems at Winding Stair, but won't dispute fred.

Alligator
09-30-2010, 09:30
I have parked at Deep Gap twice and not had issues but it is a far drive in for shuttling. I will have to check and see where we parked north of there I don't recall at the moment.

scope
09-30-2010, 09:42
As I recall, Gooch Gap definitely had some parking. I've probably parked at Woody Gap the most of anywhere, and never had or seen of a problem there. However, of all the GA main rd crossings, this one seems the most likely to get some unwanted traffic. Same with Hwy 64/Winding Stair, but have not parked overnite there. Have parked overnite at every other spot on the list without incident, the exceptions being Tray and Tellico which I have not parked at... they should not have much traffic and should therefore be safer than the higher traffic areas.

generoll
09-30-2010, 11:15
I tend to view the low traffic areas as more problematic. Not scientific, but if I wanted to rob a car, I'd look for one that was isolated and not subject to a lot of traffic. Just my view.

ShoelessWanderer
09-30-2010, 11:59
Hey...maybe I'll see you on the trail! I'll be hiking with 5 others from my hiking group.

fredmugs
10-01-2010, 08:28
Hadn't heard of the problems at Winding Stair, but won't dispute fred.

I have been through there twice and saw cars with AT stickers on them with broken windows and slashed tires. I would not leave a vehicle there overnight and back before I hiked that section lots of other people on here told me the same thing.

Without looking it up I parked at a parking area on the road before you get to Standing Indian campground that is realy close to a shelter a few miles south of US 64. I did the standing indian loop and then went up to Fontana with no problems.

phobos
10-02-2010, 07:19
I parked at coopers gap, the parking area is right beside the trail. I was a little hesitant leaving my truck in a remote area, but everything turned out ok. Someone threw trash in the back of my truck which is fine, at least it wasn't in the woods.

phobos
10-02-2010, 07:19
i'm headed out in 2 weeks, plan on parking a car at woody gap and unicoi gap ( ga 75).

map man
10-09-2010, 20:10
Thanks for the help, everyone. I think I will avoid parking near old or new 64, based on your advice. We start the drive to Georgia first thing tomorrow morning!