PDA

View Full Version : Do You Squirt or Pour?

Spokes
09-30-2010, 11:26
Your fuel into your alcohol stove..........

Ender
09-30-2010, 11:34
I use an old Poland Spring water bottle.

lustreking
09-30-2010, 14:22
Both? I squirt into a measuring cup then pour into the stove.

bulldog49
09-30-2010, 15:12
Neither, I screw. ;)

Maddog
09-30-2010, 15:21
i hammer...then squirt. maddog

Mountain Wildman
09-30-2010, 16:01
Both? I squirt into a measuring cup then pour into the stove.

Me too!!
Squirt into a 60ML measuring cup and then pour into my PackaFeather XL Stove.

JAK
09-30-2010, 17:02
Slash and burn baby. Slash and burn.

Rocketman
09-30-2010, 19:33
Me too!!
Squirt into a 60ML measuring cup and then pour into my PackaFeather XL Stove.

Tell me about your PackaFeather stove. I got an XL just before I went to the hospital for a long stay, and I haven't gotten around to trying it yet.

I got the windscreen and the fuel scucker that puts unused fuel back into the plastic bottle.

What plastic bottles have the right threads, the old bottlecap dimensions. I have a vinegar bottle that has the right threads and there appear to be some water bottles that also have the right threads. But the soda bottles appear to all be the new "short" thread designs that don't work.

I really like the design features of the stove. How do you carry it? I would like to avoid carrying it inside my pot, because I have long used that space for something else but may have to (ugh) change.

kolokolo
09-30-2010, 22:13
Depends on how well hydrated I am...

SMSP
09-30-2010, 23:16
Oh, thought this an erectile dysfunction survey, nevermind!

SMSP

4eyedbuzzard
09-30-2010, 23:57
Finally! A thread with some intrinsic merit.

I, for one, pour.

generoll
10-01-2010, 06:36
I didn't see a dribble option.

TOW
10-01-2010, 07:54
Your fuel into your alcohol stove..........
What kind of stupid question is this:confused:

Mountain Wildman
10-01-2010, 08:16
Tell me about your PackaFeather stove. I got an XL just before I went to the hospital for a long stay, and I haven't gotten around to trying it yet.

I got the windscreen and the fuel scucker that puts unused fuel back into the plastic bottle.

What plastic bottles have the right threads, the old bottlecap dimensions. I have a vinegar bottle that has the right threads and there appear to be some water bottles that also have the right threads. But the soda bottles appear to all be the new "short" thread designs that don't work.

I really like the design features of the stove. How do you carry it? I would like to avoid carrying it inside my pot, because I have long used that space for something else but may have to (ugh) change.

Hey Rocketman,
I use a Wild Cherry Pepsi 20 oz. bottle, The Pepsi 12 oz. also has the correct threads, Just be sure to crank down on the cap to get the seal between the rubber o-ring and cap and also cut off the plastic band left on the bottle after opening the soda. I have not tried any of the water bottles. I was storing mine in a Folgers plastic coffee container, I believe it's about 11 oz. size, The lid from the container fits right on my Snow Peak 600 Titanium Double Wall Mug perfectly, I also kept the Windscreen, A 60ML Measuring Cup and a Sea to Summit Tek Towel XS in the coffee container with the stove. The XL will also fit in a Snow Peak Trek 700 Mug/Pot, I don't blame you for not wanting to store it in a pot but once I suck out the remaining fuel, I light the XL Fuel Cup to burn off the residual fuel and I am sure to keep the XL Plastic Cap clean and then there is little chance of contamination in my pot. I posted a review on the stove:
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=62856
That was when I was storing it in my SP Trek 700.
The PackaFeather XL will also fit in the GSI Halulite Minimalist Cook Set, It's a little tight in there and it does scrape the side a little but I haven't noticed it doing any real damage to the GSI Pot.
I hope this helps but feel free to ask any other questions you may have.
Oh, Don't try to adjust the stove after it's lit unless you have a pot on it, It will start to tip sideways and could spill out burning alcohol. :eek:
60 ML is the max fuel capacity and I have only used Denatured Alcohol in it. I'm very happy with the PackaFeather XL and it is one piece of gear I would never sell, I'd only end up buying another one anyway!!:sun

warraghiyagey
10-01-2010, 08:34
i didn't see a dribble option.
:d..........

4eyedbuzzard
10-01-2010, 13:32

You'd probably need one of these bottles then
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:gPG6TrCJ6TNiBM:http://www.baldingblog.com/photos/091005_avodart.jpg

Sparky B
10-01-2010, 14:06
I used to squirt into a measuring cup and then pour it into the stove. I got this "8 oz. Alcohol Fuel Bottle with Dispenser Top" (http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___21703) from Campmor for my hike in September. I like it a lot. It means there is one less thing to clutter the area when cooking.

LIhikers
10-01-2010, 18:07
I use an old mouth wash bottle to carry alcohol. I pour into the cap for an estimated measure and then pour into the stove.

Franco
10-01-2010, 18:31
I pour
I used to measure my fuel but have since made a snuffer so I pour in more than I think I will need, then snuff the flame out when the water is either hot or boiling (depending on if I make a hot cup or dinner) and recover the remaining fuel.
This avoids miscalculations due to air/water temperature and or wind.
Can be done with most alcohol stoves.
Franco

warraghiyagey
10-01-2010, 19:29
This thread makes me feel funny . . .

Wise Old Owl
10-01-2010, 19:40

Oh come on thats the "other" white alcohol!:eek:

Not Sunshine
10-01-2010, 22:35
this thread makes me laugh! especially the "hammer, then squirt" quote. laughed out loud for that one, droptopbenz.