PDA

View Full Version : Help with hike on/near Springer

greene_dawg
09-30-2010, 15:18
Hello... I'm looking for some suggestions for a two night backpacking trip. Both my brother and I are experienced backpackers but somehow we've never done the start of the AT or any of the trails directly around Springer. The kicker here is that we'll be taking our daughters and the youngest and weakest member of the trip is almost 9 and this will be her first backpacking trip. She's basically a tomboy and in good shape for a 9 year old. We'd like to find a loop to do in the area that takes us by the official start/end of the AT on Springer but I'm not sure if it will be too difficult for her. I don't want to bite off anything thats 2000 ft elevation gain in two miles type of deal. The one I keep reading about is an 8 mile loop but I can't dig up the details on how hard the hike is, campsites, water, etc. We're open to suggestions to any of the other trips in the area as well and it doesn't have to be a loop but it would make logistics a bit easier on us. We'd also like to camp in sites with good water access simply because we'll be carrying so much of their gear that I'd like to avoid the extra weight that a dry camp requires. Any thoughts or specifics on the area would be more than appreciated. Thanks!!!

Phreak
09-30-2010, 15:23
The 8 mile loop you mentioned is the AT/Benton MacKaye Trail loop between Springer Mountain and Three Forks.

generoll
09-30-2010, 15:46
Phreak pretty well nailed it.

greene_dawg
09-30-2010, 18:21
OK. Gotcha. Is it considered a moderate hike? Better in one direction or the other? Can you recommend campsites? From the looks of three forks I think we'd like to camp there one night. Anyone have a link to a map of the loop. All of my trail books are at my house in another state. Long story.

Trailweaver
10-01-2010, 01:59
Check out the Hiker Hostel in Dahlonega. (website is hikerhostel.com, I think.) They can help you with the logistics, give you advice about the trail, water conditions, and take you there and pick you up, or take you there and have your car parked at a place where you hike out. They're just helpful for folks just getting started and. . . take their phone # with you when you hike. They could come help you out if you get in a jam. (You would have to call from a high spot on the trail.)

phobos
10-02-2010, 07:24
OK. Gotcha. Is it considered a moderate hike? Better in one direction or the other? Can you recommend campsites? From the looks of three forks I think we'd like to camp there one night. Anyone have a link to a map of the loop. All of my trail books are at my house in another state. Long story.

i haven't done the benton mackaye part of that trail, but the AT wasn't too difficult between springer to three forks. THe hike up springer was somewhat strenuous though.