PDA

View Full Version : What are you getting for these prices?

Pedaling Fool
09-30-2010, 16:05
I was at the outfitter yesterday and was looking at raingear -- mine is starting to show some wear.

They had stuff similar to this crap http://www.backcountry.com/store/gear/goretex-rain-gear.html

What are you getting for those prices? And that's just for the Jacket, about the same price for the pants. Is this normal? Maybe I just haven't paid enough attention to prices. I have my same rain pants from 2006 and Jacket from 2007 and I thought $140 for the set was expensive, but that wouldn't even buy half a set at those prices.

I guess I'm going to go check out walmart. I know you get what you pay for, but I don't have any real complaints about my stuff, I can't imagine this stuff being so good that it's worth anywhere from ~$300 - 600 for the set. At those prices they could at least include an inflatable....

Blue Jay
09-30-2010, 17:36
Most people are buying this stuff for fashion, not utility.

Mrs Baggins
09-30-2010, 18:59
I went looking for my first rain jacket with Gortex in 2002. I went to EMS and they had a Marmot jacket that was very nice - over $300. They also had their own brand of jacket - $139. I bought the EMS one and still wear it. It's been through the washer many times, been out in countless rain storms and under waterfalls, and still has all of it's waterproof properties. So I agree - what exactly are people paying for when they pay those ridiculous prices???

Mrs Baggins
09-30-2010, 19:02
I should add....I bought that jacket for travel, not backpacking. When I wanted to start backpacking I went looking for a lightweight waterproof jacket. I bought the REI brand jacket for less than $200. That was in 2007. It's still completely waterproof after many washings and heavy rains.

johnnybgood
09-30-2010, 19:51
The smart buyer is one that is patient and calculative while searching for real deals and steals .
The REI garage sales come twice a year and thats a great day for those that forego instant gradification for huge savings.

I'm not prone to compulsiveness... and that my friends has always helped me with adhering to a hiking gear budget.

On the flip side :
* If I were to win the mega millions jackpot ................

10-K
09-30-2010, 21:17
Here's a deal if you wear a medium....

http://www.camp-usa.com/products/apparel/closeout/closeout-compact-event-jacket-1804.asp

Erin
09-30-2010, 23:59
Holy cow! I bought a North Face gortex rain jacket and pants (for cyclists so the jacket in long in the back, great! ) in Vail, CO at a second hand store five years ago for $50. Rich people towns are great for second hand. Jacket still great.Lined. Pockets. Pants are torn up from last hike. Maybe I should just take the money and go back to Vail instead of buying new gortex pants?

cruisaire
10-11-2010, 19:19
Olive green Lands End Goretex jacket (stuffs into its own chest pocket) $6, Sky Blue Columbia Goretex ball cap $1.50, Black Forrester's Goretex Golf Pants (zippered) $4. Not very color coordinated but also not a mark, rip, or tear on any of them. Priceless!!!!! Thrifty's Unite!!!!!!!!

fresh-start
10-15-2010, 05:03
I've seen suggestions for Red Ledge Thunderlight pants and parka and from my research it seems the gear avgs about 70 to 80 $ for the set I believe, i have no personal experience with this equipment. This was gear suggested in a previous post on someones gear list.

Joshuatree
11-26-2010, 23:11
I bought a Gander Mountain guide series rain jacket for 20 bucks about 6 years ago the pants were also $20. I wear it all them time for work, fishing and around town. its still shedding water after a ton of wear and abuse

trail ronin
01-07-2011, 22:08
I bought a North Face Guide Goretex jacket 15 years ago. $375 bucks
Still have it and it's still waterproof. I don't regret spending it.
I don't use it much anymore, I have a Marmont Spire Gore perfomance shell I use mostly nowdays. Paid 375 for it also, if it last half as long I'll be happy.

IMHO some of this kit is worth the moola.

Snowleopard
01-08-2011, 00:00
Frogg Toggs or Dri Ducks are really cheap ($20 for a set)and light, breathe well and are water proof, but are somewhat fragile -- OK for trail walking but not for bushwhacking. I suspect that what you get at walmart would not work well; there's lots of cheaper stuff out there that don't breathe and aren't very waterproof.
Red Ledge: http://www.rei.com/search?query=thunderlight&button.x=0&button.y=0
From what I've read they are waterproof, well made for the price, but don't breathe well.

Sarcasm the elf
01-08-2011, 00:15
But if it cost more it must be better!!! (Man, I've been in Southwestern Connecticut for too long)

I bought a North Face shell jacket for $375 back in High school when I thought it was cool. Lasted through over ten years of abuse, but not very practical for backpacking.

Got an EMS brand rainshell on clearance this spring for around $70, much better for my purposes now.

leaftye
01-08-2011, 00:23
As far as I'm concerned, all the rain gear right now sucks. Trying to find something that works well and is appropriate for the ultralight long distance backpacker is an effort in futility. I won't spend a lot on a rain gear until there's a decent <=5 ounce jacket made out of breathable cuben. A cuben rain skirt or tyvek painter pants should be good enough for my legs.

walkin' wally
01-08-2011, 12:32
I was at the outfitter yesterday and was looking at raingear -- mine is starting to show some wear.

They had stuff similar to this crap http://www.backcountry.com/store/gear/goretex-rain-gear.html

What are you getting for those prices? And that's just for the Jacket, about the same price for the pants. Is this normal? Maybe I just haven't paid enough attention to prices. I have my same rain pants from 2006 and Jacket from 2007 and I thought $140 for the set was expensive, but that wouldn't even buy half a set at those prices.

I guess I'm going to go check out walmart. I know you get what you pay for, but I don't have any real complaints about my stuff, I can't imagine this stuff being so good that it's worth anywhere from ~$300 - 600 for the set. At those prices they could at least include an inflatable....

Wow, impressive prices on that link!

Johnny Thunder
01-08-2011, 13:02
As far as I'm concerned, all the rain gear right now sucks. Trying to find something that works well and is appropriate for the ultralight long distance backpacker is an effort in futility. I won't spend a lot on a rain gear until there's a decent <=5 ounce jacket made out of breathable cuben. A cuben rain skirt or tyvek painter pants should be good enough for my legs.

i disagree. there is quality gear. it's just expensive.

over the past 3 years i've replaced my rain gear 2 times...now i need to buy a fourth jacket because i wasn't very diligent washing the deet off my neck somewhere along the way.

if i'd just bucked up and bought a solid 3 layer laminate jacket (and taken care of it) I'd probably spent less money AND created more waste. I'm working again and will probably splash for the arc teryx 3 layer gore jacket because it will last (and not just be warranted to last) for 2 or 3 long hikes. my previous 3 jackets have not and they were all in the 100 to 200 range.

in the end you get what you pay for. but paying double doesn't mean you get a jacket that's twice as good. if the difference in durability and performance makes sense to you then go for it. if not buy the walmart stuff and toss it when it wears out. i feel guilty doing that over and over again (and knowing that i will continue until i break the cycle).

Johnny Thunder
01-08-2011, 13:03
AND created less waste. it's late here.

skinewmexico
01-08-2011, 13:04
I'm going to try dri-ducks next. But I've heard that the best deal on a gore-tex type jacket is the Paclite from Cabelas. Especially if you can catch it on sale. Some day I would like to try an Event jacket, Gore-tex doesn't breathe enough for me.

mister krabs
01-08-2011, 13:20
I'm going to try dri-ducks next. But I've heard that the best deal on a gore-tex type jacket is the Paclite from Cabelas. Especially if you can catch it on sale. Some day I would like to try an Event jacket, Gore-tex doesn't breathe enough for me.

I have the Paclite from Bass Pro (http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops®-GORETEX®-PacLite®-Rain-Jackets-for-Men-%3Cfont-color=red%3ECLOSEOUT%3C/font%3E/product/74200/-1196257), it's real goretex, waterproof and was on sale for 75. I would like pit zips but the ventilated pockets do OK.