PDA

View Full Version : Cooking with Fuel Canisters

Hiking2011
09-30-2010, 21:13
I am planning mail drops and I am trying to figure out how long an MSR 4 ounce ISOPRO fuel canister will last to figure out if I should do more mail drops or upgrade the size. Any suggestions?

Blissful
09-30-2010, 21:40
Mine lasted roughly ten days, give or take. But I did not cook breakfast and used a pot cozy to cut down on cooking times. Also depends on how long you cook for and the wind. Snowpeak tends to last the longest, imo. I don't like MSR personally
If you mail them, they must go surface mail only.

peakbagger
09-30-2010, 22:33
I used to get 13 days on a 8 oz cannister for two meals a day. I have a heat shield on my pocket rocket which I estimate extended the use from about 10 days to 13 days. I basically boiled water in the AM and did a Lipton meal at night. I also fired the stove after supper to warm up about a 1/2 cup of water for cleanup. Given the major hassle to send fuel cannisters these days (ground only which cuts out any priority options) , I would locate suppliers along the trail and buy the 8 oz ones. I used to find half full ones in hikers boxes frequently.

Mags
09-30-2010, 22:41
Rule of thumb...

Assuming 2 cups of water or so, about 12 boils on a 4 oz canister
About 25 boils on an 8 oz canister.

Looking at the above people, seems to be a fairly accurate rule of thumb.

Check out this link for mailing fuel:
http://gottawalk.com/shipping_fuel.htm

SMSP
09-30-2010, 23:13
I have done some testing with my PR using a GSI Soloist and I also got 12 burns with 2 cups of water on a 4oz canister.

I also got 24 burns with the Jetboil PCS with 2 cups of water.

This was done in a garage in controlled environment, no wind, tap water.

SMSP

Hiking2011
09-30-2010, 23:26
with all of your responses I'm thinking I should be able to make it for 7 days on the trail with a 4 oz canister. I will probably only cook for dinner and sometimes for breakfast.

Panzer1
10-01-2010, 00:49
with all of your responses I'm thinking I should be able to make it for 7 days on the trail with a 4 oz canister. I will probably only cook for dinner and sometimes for breakfast.

I would not be computing it out to the last drop. I would bring a 8 oz canister just to have the extra capacity in case of an emergency.

Panzer

4eyedbuzzard
10-01-2010, 13:40
I would not be computing it out to the last drop. I would bring a 8 oz canister just to have the extra capacity in case of an emergency.

Panzer
Second that - As you can't predict the wind / ambient temp or water temp completely (or accidentally spilling a pot of water) or having to spend more time than anticipated for whatever reason in the woods, there's no need to run so tight on fuel that an impromptu hot beverage can't be boiled, or ruin the last day or so of a hike over 4 oz. weight. There's UL and there's insanity.

Hiking2011
10-02-2010, 11:57
I think I will go with the 8 oz and just resupply in towns. Thanks for all the opinions.

10-K
10-02-2010, 14:31
I almost exclusively use esbit now but before I quit using canisters I'd always take along a few esbit tabs anyway in case I ran out of gas or needed to light a fire.

Toolshed
10-03-2010, 08:31

Panzer
or at least carry a couple of 1/2 oz esbit tabs...