PDA

View Full Version : Trail to Every Classroom

topshelf
09-30-2010, 22:25
Has anyone ever heard of this program?

I am a middle school teacher at Fort Chiswell Middle School, first year, and I have two coworkers who attended this professional development course last year. They began an AT Nature Club at our school. So this year when I began to work there I joined. Today was our first club day, I took the 2nd year club members and showed them how to pack a pack and everything I carry in it. The students actually seemed excited with all my gear, how light it is, and how small everything can be packed down to.

I get to spend a class on what to do in survival situations, another on ways to create fire, another on first aid, and any other classes we can think of. We are also going to take them on a trip up to Grayson Highlands to do some hiking. Wish I could take some on an overnighter but don't think that'll be possible.

We are in the Wytheville/Fort Chiswell of Virginia area and I would like to bring in someone who had thru-hiked the trail to let the students hear from someone who's actually hiked the entire trail. Is there anyone out there who might be able to come in and give a presentation and share a bunch of photos from their thru-hike??

Cedar Tree
09-30-2010, 22:53
Hey Redeye, I've not heard of the program, but I'd be happy to do it. I am a teacher too, formally middle school (6th grade) but currently unemployed. I have a powerpoint presentation with about 100 photos from my 2000 thru. I've shown it countless times to my classes and other groups. I live in Marion. PM me or contact me through the Packa website. I'm pretty much available anytime.
Cedar Tree

Lauriep
10-01-2010, 15:19
Redeye,

How fantastic that the graduates of The Trail to Every Classroom (TTEC) program in your school started an A.T. Nature Club! I wonder if this is a first. It's great that you want to get involved and share your experience with the students. Those are some fortunate kids you'll be working with. The A.T. benefits, too.

Since you asked... The Trail to Every Classroom (TTEC) program is a place-based professional development workshop series developed by the National Park Service in partnership with ATC. Its goal is to connect communities along the Appalachian Trail to promote resource stewardship, recreation, and community engagement. TTEC is a three-season, multi-disciplinary professional development series for educators aimed at providing the inspiration, knowledge and skills to transform classroom teaching into effective and exciting place-based education.

Teachers who participate in TTEC develop their own curriculum that increases student literacy skills and fosters student understanding of, and appreciation for, the public lands connected by the 2,175 miles of the Appalachian Trail. These curricula integrate hands-on study of the natural and cultural resources of communities from Georgia to Maine, addressing concepts in ecology, sense of place, recreation, volunteerism and civics.

You can find more info at www.appalachiantrail.org/ttec.

It sounds like you are already quite experienced and are no doubt are already practicing Leave No Trace. You might want to check out the latest guidance on Leave No Trace for the Appalachian Trail at www.appalachiantrail.org/lnt.

Thanks for sharing the A.T. with the next generation. They will be the ones to love and protect it.

Laurie P.
ATC

vonfrick
10-01-2010, 16:52
neat-o.....

topshelf
10-01-2010, 19:51
I told them how to go to NPS website and we went through each of the Leave no Trace guidelines. They already knew about it some from last year. It was raining on club day but next one we should get outside and practice it a bit. Last year they planted native plants, wildflowers, and trees often found on the AT in this area, on the campus of the middle school and high school as an outdoor classroom for everyone.

If anyone has some ideas of stuff I should teach and get the kids to experience let me hear 'em.

Fishbamboo
10-02-2010, 09:23
That is a wonderful idea, I would have jumped all over that had it been offered when I was in school. And by the way, I love that area of Virginia. I have driven through there many times....

rambunny
10-02-2010, 16:13
Hey Cedar Tree- i hiked in 2000 also-i'm in Atkins. Isn't it beautiful out right now!