PDA

View Full Version : 3 weeks in January where to go?

tuswm
10-01-2010, 04:17
Where should I go?
I usually drive to Utah for a week do I do not mind driving somewhere nice.
Like I said it will be January.
Most people in my group only have 20* bags and would like nights to stay above freezing.
Maybe 3 or 4 parks or national forest in 3 weeks?
I want to go somewhere new.

So I was thinking somewhere south.

Red Hat
10-01-2010, 11:03
Big Bend in Texas should be nice in January

BobTheBuilder
10-01-2010, 11:41

Exactly my first thought. Lots of nice mountains.

bus
10-01-2010, 17:36
Florida Trail?

4eyedbuzzard
10-01-2010, 23:31

Even so be prepared. We were in TX last January and it was 18 deg in San Antonio. The locals cursed us for bringing our New England winter with us.

tuswm
10-02-2010, 11:16

I do like elevation changes, it also gives you to play with in terms of control over weather.

does anyone know the name of the park with the lava tubes? I dont think its in TX but I think its some where around there.

tuswm
10-07-2010, 11:03
has anyone ever been there? has anyone ever been there in the winter? I am looking at the map and there doesnt appear to be that many backpacking trails.

sixhusbands
10-07-2010, 11:10
If you can get to Hawaii you wil find more trails that will fill your need. The Kalalau trail on the NaPali coast of Kauai , the crater trails on Mt. Haleakela on Maui, the active volcanoes on the Big Island, the list goes on and on. Just got to get there I guess would be the issue.

tuswm
10-07-2010, 11:42
well I do want to go some where for a few weeks and that looks way out of my price range.

Luddite
10-07-2010, 12:24
Whats wrong with Utah? In January you will find solitude out there.

tuswm
10-08-2010, 18:19
Well I spend a lot of time in ut. I have been to Bryce andzion many times. I have been to the grand canyon but i like zion and canyon lands the most. The grandcanyonfelt like a major high way more then off the beaten path.

I would like to. Go some
Where new. I also have many friends that at least some will be going with me and a 20 degree sleeping bag is the norm. we palm on being out for a week and we would like to be somewhere warm enough to be social at night and not have to spend all night in the bags to keep from freezing to death.

Also i was looking m ore at big bend and they didn't seam to have
T
Hat many miles of backpacking trails. The longest one was less than forty miles. And most likely no water in water so we would have to water cashe.