PDA

View Full Version : Great Smokies mid October!

Khike
10-01-2010, 07:19
Hello Fellow Hikers, Gonna be doin the GSNP-north to south mid October. Will be looking for WhiteBlaze folks along the way. Hope the bears don't get me!!! Hope it's dry for a few of the 9 days we wil be there. Hiking in a group of 2. See you there! Kevin

Mocs123
10-01-2010, 07:29
You may already know, but there is (or at least was, I don't know after all the rain) a 23 mile dry section on the "southern" half of the AT. That being said, have fun, that is a great time to be in the park.

Khike
10-01-2010, 08:30
Yea, Moc, I got that from the reservation dude when I made reservations. So we will be carrying our Camelback bladders and filling up at the end. Most of the food will be gone then, so shouldn't be a big deal. Gonna be cold though! Heard 36 degrees yesterday!!! Cold and clear would be nice. Because of camping restrictions it will be a leisurely hike, I'm thinking. Kevin

RWK
10-01-2010, 12:39
I'll be going NOBO through Smokies about that time. Anyone have more specific info on water conditions? I'll be going from Dick's Creek to Erwin starting 10/07. I've heard there were some dry stretches but not a specific 23 mi. stretch.

Mocs123
10-01-2010, 13:07
Water Conditions
Water sources from campsite 113 to Spence Field are unreliable at his time. Water is currently available at Derrick Knob, which is approximately 23 miles from Fontana. Please plan your hike accordingly or consider planning a hike when water sources become more reliable again.

http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/temproadclose.htm

Khike
10-01-2010, 13:22
We can suck the dew off of the leaves!!!!

sevensixtwo187
10-01-2010, 15:04
I was just there last weekend. It is said that water is ok north of Newfound Gap. We were at Laurel Gap - Tricorner. That proved to be the case. The water was a bit low but there.

sojo
10-05-2010, 11:18
I will be in the SMNP in two weeks. I will be getting on the AT just south of Double Springs Shelter....planning on staying there and then going north to Icewater Springs Shelter. Getting off the AT at Peck's Corner. Does anyone have info on water at Double Springs? Also at Icewater Springs?? I believe there is water at Newfound Gap. Thx for any info. Sojo

duchessnicholae
10-05-2010, 12:22
Hello Fellow Hikers, Gonna be doin the GSNP-north to south mid October. Will be looking for WhiteBlaze folks along the way. Hope the bears don't get me!!! Hope it's dry for a few of the 9 days we wil be there. Hiking in a group of 2. See you there! Kevin

Kevin,
I will be going that route as well during Mid October. Going from Hotsprings to NOC starting on Sat. Hope to see you out there.

:)
niki

Llama Legs
10-05-2010, 15:31
I just did the park sobo in July (solo). I wish I had waited until mid-October; I love cool hiking weather and cold nights! Have fun - 9 day pace should be relaxed.

sojo
10-05-2010, 17:00
Llama, how was the water at Icewater Springs and Double Springs?? Thx Sojo

Adayak
10-05-2010, 17:12
We can suck the dew off of the leaves!!!!

Or melt the snow! They got 3+ inches yesterday.

STICK
10-05-2010, 19:39
I will be around the northern side most of next week. Maybe I will see ya around...

Happy hiking! :)

The Solemates
10-06-2010, 10:41
Or melt the snow! They got 3+ inches yesterday.

no kidding, and a high of 33! im head there this weekend. cant wait!