PDA

View Full Version : BRP Road Trip

RGB
10-01-2010, 11:15
Hey guys. So fall break is coming up, and I have a pretty fun idea of what to do with my time. I've been driving the Parkway in the 80 mile radius surrounding Blowing Rock and Boone for about 2 years now. I think I want to start in Virginia and just drive to the end in N.C. Maybe even start at the beginning of Skyline Drive in V.A. if I have enough time. I'm going to take my time and do any hike that appeals to me, see what's going on at craft centers, museums, maybe stop in Asheville for a while. I am very cheap and will probably sleep in my car or stealth somewhere on trails. Does anyone have any helpful advice and/or recommendations for me for this trip? I already know that the Parkway only allows camping in designated sites, which they charge for. Please do not remind me.

Serial 07
10-01-2010, 11:40
there is a BRP book that details all the trails along the parkway which is really nice...it's like a falcon guide sort of thing..hiking the blue ridge parkway is the title...that would probably be a better resource than any one map...there are plenty of camping/stealth spots out there...

avoid lewis falls in the shenandoah's...not that impressive and a waste of time...

the devil's courthouse and black balsam are two things off the top of my head that i really liked...if you've been on the parkway in the boone area, you know how cool the BRP is...have fun!

RGB
10-01-2010, 13:50
Lucky day, I just found that book at my used bookstore for $3! Thanks for the recommendation, I'll be sure to check those locations out.