PDA

View Full Version : northbound to harpers ferry

cshir003
12-03-2004, 13:47
I'm planning a section hike this summer ending at harpers ferry. I figure that I could conservatively cover around 320 miles plus or minus 10 or twenty comfortably. so, rather than search for hours to find where this would put me at for a starting point, I thought that I'd pick my fellow hiker's brains. Does anybody know offhand of a good place to start given these restrictions?

Lone Wolf
12-03-2004, 13:53
Start in Catawba, Virginia. It's about 312 miles to Harper's Ferry from there. You get awesome terrain and views right off the bat.

A-Train
12-03-2004, 14:24
I agree with LW 100%. Good place to start with some of the prettiest scenary on the trail, plus you've got a hostel and a big town (Daleville) right up the trail with outfitter, meals and motels should you experience problems or have a hard time "adjusting" to the woods. If you can eat at the homeplace the night before you hit the trail, I'd highly advise it. Not only will it be some of the tastiest food you've ever eaten, but you likely get to meet 10 or 20 hikers you may spend the next few weeks with.

Lone Wolf
12-03-2004, 14:55
Bear in mind if you do eat at the Homeplace, they're only open Thurs. - Sunday.

chknfngrs
12-03-2004, 15:17
start in Catawba, hike up to Dragon's Tooth and call it your Point A on the AT>Harpers.

Kerosene
12-03-2004, 16:30
I concur: If you're going to hike south and end in Harpers Ferry, don't miss the sights from Catawba around Roanoke and up into SNP. I've sectioned everything from Catawba to Glencliff, NH, plus GA, and this was the most scenic section to date.

A-Train
12-03-2004, 18:33
Matter fact IMO one of the most scenic sections of the AT was the 6 miles between rt 624 and 311, between 4pines and Catawba. Might be worth starting at either 624 or a small road before that, so you could include Dragons Tooth. You could start at Pearisburg which is south of all of this, but I found most of that section completely uninteresting cept for Rice Field