PDA

View Full Version : Trail nudity & thermoregulation

cotter
10-01-2010, 13:34
First question: If I'm cold, I can just keep layering up. If I'm hot, I can't go past naked. Is there a type of clothing which keeps you cooler than no clothing at all?

Second question: Assuming its a ridiculous temp. outside, what is the trail etiquette on lack of clothing? I'm assuming that nudity is a little over the top, what is the least amount of clothing you feel is appropriate?

Third: you're drenched in sweat, and the humidity is 100%. How do you maintain a dry clothing system for sleeping?

Thanks for your input, Cotter

Iceaxe
10-01-2010, 13:42
Hey June 21st is Hike Naked Day! I assume folks on the AT celebrate the Solstice this way too. (I apologize in advance to the unlucky souls who may be blinded or lose their lunch if they happen to pass me that day.)
:banana

Luddite
10-01-2010, 13:43
First question: If I'm cold, I can just keep layering up. If I'm hot, I can't go past naked. Is there a type of clothing which keeps you cooler than no clothing at all?

I prefer to hike in cotton T-shirts in dry and hot places like the desert since they take a while to dry.

RGB
10-01-2010, 13:44

Second question: Assuming its a ridiculous temp. outside, what is the trail etiquette on lack of clothing? I'm assuming that nudity is a little over the top, what is the least amount of clothing you feel is appropriate?

Third: you're drenched in sweat, and the humidity is 100%. How do you maintain a dry clothing system for sleeping?

If I'm hanging out in a shelter and I'm really hot, I get inside my bag liner naked. It's like a trail Snuggie.

4eyedbuzzard
10-01-2010, 14:01
First question: If I'm cold, I can just keep layering up. If I'm hot, I can't go past naked. Is there a type of clothing which keeps you cooler than no clothing at all?Out of the sun and hot breeze? No. If you're out in the sun, naked and a sun umbrella might be coolest. Otherwise, wearing clothing can actually be cooler than going naked. It depends a lot on the humidity. Look at how people dress that live in hot desert regions - they cover up.

Second question: Assuming its a ridiculous temp. outside, what is the trail etiquette on lack of clothing? I'm assuming that nudity is a little over the top, what is the least amount of clothing you feel is appropriate?On me or on an attractive lady? :D Honestly, I and most others probably couldn't care less about dress codes on the trail. You want to hike naked, go ahead. But man are you ever gonna get scratched up and bitten in some awkward places.

Third: you're drenched in sweat, and the humidity is 100%. How do you maintain a dry clothing system for sleeping?Physically impossible. If the humidity is 100% and the ambient temp is above your body's skin temp, sweat won't evaporate. Time to bail out to an air conditioned motel with a pool. If the temp falls a bit, I'd wait until I dried off to put on any sleepwear.

IronGutsTommy
10-01-2010, 14:17
the hotter your body is the cooler the outside air feels, people in the mioddle east layer up to stay cool and protect their skin from sun and sand..
underarmor heatgear clothing works well. it wicks away sweat well enough to keep you dry. if im not covered in sweat i feel alot better

IronGutsTommy
10-01-2010, 14:19
as far as hiking naked, fine by me... good luck having someone willing to do a tick search in your crack tho

Kerosene
10-01-2010, 14:20
First question: If I'm cold, I can just keep layering up. If I'm hot, I can't go past naked. Is there a type of clothing which keeps you cooler than no clothing at all?You could try to cool the major heat centers of the body, such as your head, neck, and groin. The ATC Blubanderoo (https://www.atctrailstore.org/catalog/iteminfo.cfm?itemid=435&compid=1) can help in this regard, as can a wet hat or neck "drape".

Second question: Assuming its a ridiculous temp. outside, what is the trail etiquette on lack of clothing? I'm assuming that nudity is a little over the top, what is the least amount of clothing you feel is appropriate?I ran into a thru-hiker in central Virginia who only hiked in a loincloth and socks/boots. Personally, I'd be pretty self-conscious in that getup.

SullyJoe
10-01-2010, 14:41
How many hikers actually observe naked day? Personaly, I would be too worried about stray branches at crotch level.

scope
10-01-2010, 14:52
If I'm hanging out in a shelter and I'm really hot, I get inside my bag liner naked. It's like a trail Snuggie.

"Oh, look, there's a skunk in the shelter..." :eek::eek:

fredmugs
10-01-2010, 14:54
I have hiked once on June 21st and during a 20 mile SOBO section in PA (Ironmasters to Caledonia I think) I saw two naked hikers. They were covered up - just not with pants.

sbhikes
10-01-2010, 15:06
I'd prefer not to see man junk or man breasts. So a shirt and something that covers better than a man speedo, please.

The other day it was 109 degrees outside and the humidity was 4%. I had to walk 2 miles home from work in the middle of the day. It was surreal. I had no sweat. I was very hot, but I have felt much more uncomfortable when it has been cooler with higher humidity.

Anyway, when it's hot, cotton is your friend. Sleeping without any blankets is your friend, too. Mosquito netting will make that much more pleasant out in the wilderness.

fiddlehead
10-01-2010, 15:11
Yep, living in the tropics (400 miles north of the equator) has taught me that cotton is your friend.
And mossy netting.

I smell a troll on the nudity part of the question.

Trailweaver
10-01-2010, 15:23
I frequently hike and paddle in 90 -100 degree temps, and have found that the "quick-dry" type clothing is comfortable. If it gets wet (either with sweat or water from the river) it dries quickly and while doing so, cools my body. In high humidity, this is a god-send. I previously hiked with a cotton t-shirt, and stayed wet all day and most of the night. I hated having the shirt stuck to my back.

The other plus of quick dry clothing is that it's lighter weight, and often more resistant to tears and abrasions than cotton.

ExosC3
10-01-2010, 15:42
ive hiked in my CK box/briefs before and no one seemed to think twice...

ExosC3
10-01-2010, 15:45
also i gotta say, how is cotton your friend? wool is wayyyy better than cotton when it comes to heat. cotton just gets soaked and nasty while wool wicks and keeps your body dry and cool.

at the end of the day, were all people with the same parts...stop acting so offended. kids on the trail, i can understand, but as long as you have somehting on bottom and chicks top and bottom, i dont see the problem. its nature, be natural. clothes are such a formality

Pedaling Fool
10-01-2010, 16:23
at the end of the day, were all people with the same parts...stop acting so offended. kids on the trail, i can understand, but as long as you have somehting on bottom and chicks top and bottom, i dont see the problem. its nature, be natural. clothes are such a formality
Not sure what you're sayin' here. Sounds like you're sayin', "It's alright to be naked, because it's natural, but just cover-up when kids are around."

Do I got that right? Do you see the conflicting logic?

icemanat95
10-01-2010, 16:44
There are a lot of wicking fabrics out there and most work fairly well. Thicker knits may capture water between the weave though. I'm a big fan of Coolmax, and I've got a nice Westwind Tech Shirt from Arborwear for work. In my line of work I generally have to wear long sleeves and long pants, regardless of temps. Wicking fabrics make a big difference. I also use wide brimmed hats soaked with water, and a bandana thing that when soaked with water for 20 minutes, swells up with a sort of gel that slowly releases the water and helps cool you down. There are also similar cooling packs available for the inside of hard hats and the like.

On the AT, over the Palmerton ridgeline north of Lehigh Gap, I wore one bandana on my head and tucked another into the back to drape over my neck and shoulders. The shade made a huge difference in the 100+ degree temps of that year.

In high heat and humidity you will want to rest a lot, avoid the hottest parts of the day, and drink A LOT of water, preferably with some electrolyte powder in every other or every third bottle. Eating is also important under those conditions. Every time I've had heat related issues at work, 10 minutes of rest in the shade, a pile of water, and some food has made all the difference.

Chaffing is another serious sweat related issue. Balmex is your friend. It'll cure most chaffing issues in a day or two and will go a long way towards preventing them.

LIhikers
10-01-2010, 17:25
.....you're drenched in sweat, and the humidity is 100%. How do you maintain a dry clothing system for sleeping?

You carry extra clothes just to sleep in.

Skidsteer
10-01-2010, 18:50

Sleep naked. Next problem.

warraghiyagey
10-01-2010, 19:24
Agreed . . . . .

Different Socks
10-01-2010, 19:27
I have hiked parts of the PCT and AT with just a shirt, socks and boots on plus a pack. Always wear a longer shirt when I do that.

Wise Old Owl
10-01-2010, 19:52
I'm Totally stumped.....
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg275/MarkSwarbrick/__OWLq.gif
WHHHOO wants to see that anyway....? Man boobs (SB Hikes)

Connie
10-01-2010, 20:04
If I'm hot, I can't go past naked. Is there a type of clothing which keeps you cooler than no clothing at all?Soak a cotton shirt in water, or hat, or hankerchief in water: evaporative cooling helps. I do it.

I recently purchased a neck scarf that evaporates more slowly. I actually helps, but the chemical inside gradually disappears to not much left inside the neckerchief.

A well-ventilated large brim hat, like a fisherman's hat, can be cooler than no hat at all.

I actually started my website because we were having to rescue naked hikers ...ooh, the sunburn.

It is so not funny.

They had their "moosegoo" which is another one of my "pet peeves".

They read a certain idiot author, I directly took on with Google Ads. He has improved, like fine wine, with age, but I still think he tipples the wine.

Anyway, I have had people believe they will eat berries and drink pure water from a mountain stream, so why bother with all that gear for carrying food and water, or clothing? Right?

The berries are "out of season" and in season, the bears have first dibs.

The water is down a steep ravine, the surface covered with slippery forest duff.

The clothing is something you wish you had when the sun is bright or the midges bite.

warraghiyagey
10-01-2010, 20:08
I hate when midgets bite. . .

KnittingMelissa
10-01-2010, 20:08

That.

But, honestly, if you're getting temperatures above 99F and 100% humidity, it's best not to be hiking. In that weather, 10 before 10 and 5 after 5 is the best advice. You miss the hottest part of the day simply by napping/resting, and then hike in the cool morning and cool evening. Problem pretty much solved.

warraghiyagey
10-01-2010, 20:10
That.

But, honestly, if you're getting temperatures above 99F and 100% humidity, it's best not to be hiking. In that weather, 10 before 10 and 5 after 5 is the best advice. You miss the hottest part of the day simply by napping/resting, and then hike in the cool morning and cool evening. Problem pretty much solved.
These are also the best times to hike naked . . .

Skidsteer
10-01-2010, 20:53
I hate when midgets bite. . .

Deet just pisses them off.

cotter
10-02-2010, 09:38
Thanks for everyones advice...

Skidsteer
10-02-2010, 10:06
Wait! We're just getting warmed up.

You haven't asked us about 45 degree bags in March yet. :D

4eyedbuzzard
10-02-2010, 10:15
It's getting harder and harder to find a good straight man. Wait - that sounded really bad in a naked hiking thread.

restless
10-02-2010, 10:50

...or the proper boots to wear.....

restless
10-02-2010, 10:51

....or the correct backpack to carry....

restless
10-02-2010, 10:53

....or the way to get your weight below 25 pounds....
(although I think going naked helps solve some of the problem -- no extra weight from carrying all those heavy clothes):D

10-K
10-02-2010, 10:53
....or the correct backpack to carry....

Steripen or pump?

...and by the way, how much is this going to cost?

(all legitimate questions BTW - not poking fun at anyone)

restless
10-02-2010, 10:56
BTW - not poking fun at anyone

Although I could be...:-?

greenmtnboy
10-02-2010, 11:46
For me, merino wool is all-purpose, whether it is hot out, warm, cool or cold. I use my down bag in all seasons, too.

On nudity, I'm sure this topic has been blogged to death, but as a follower of Thoreau, Gandhi, and Bible teachings, the key thing is not giving offense, proper hygiene, and trying to stay in good health. Every fabric has its use. Nudity is against the law on federal land and in other situations, plus it would bring down the reputation of hikers if word got out. Whether the individual is attractive or not without clothes, most are not, there are man odors and female odors that are intensified by exposure, discretion is the key and respect for other hikers. I have been in a shelter when a couple was having sex, and witnessed a couple "doing it" in the middle of the trail in New Hampshire. Such things are very disrespectful, and are legally-actionable. People can end up with the men in the white coats taking them away in some situations.

Bottom line, if people are not engaging in a behavior in your home town, don't do it on a hiking trail.

JAK
10-02-2010, 12:29
Or if you really want to do something that might offend people, you do it way from people you might offend. There are still plenty of trails out there without people, so there is that option. I don't think people should parade themselves in front of people. If you do want to do that, it would be better to do that in town, than on a hiking trail where people are presumably trying to get away from such antics and politics.

I like the idea of hiking the AT. If I find it too crowded, or too crazy, I can stay up here. Alot of people can't. So you have to respect the people that are local to the trail you are hiking on. If people started coming up here and parading around naked on our local hiking trail, I wouldn't like it. Yuppie hiking clothes and gear are bad enough. ;)

Anyhow, we shouldn't be too sensitive either. At least people are getting outside.

"When I stepped out into the bright sunlight from the darkness of the movie house, I had only two things on my mind: Paul Newman and a ride home..."

garlic08
10-02-2010, 18:34
...Nudity is against the law on federal land and in other situations...

Not only that, it can be charged as a sex offense and that stays with you in very bad ways the rest of your life.

I heard great words of advice from a climbing buddy: "If you're over thirty, do not take off your shirt--trust us on this one."

Wise Old Owl
10-02-2010, 20:27
Not only that, it can be charged as a sex offense and that stays with you in very bad ways the rest of your life.

I heard great words of advice from a climbing buddy: "If you're over thirty, do not take off your shirt--trust us on this one."

unbelievable.........:eek:

JAK
10-02-2010, 21:12
That's ****ed up. It's **** like that and the NH thing and I need to stay in Canada.

TheYoungOne
10-04-2010, 10:06

Have fun hiking nude, but that next turn in the trail you could walk right up on a Boy scout troop with the troop leader being a local sheriff. :p

TheYoungOne
10-04-2010, 10:16
Anyone use UnderArmor HeatGuard shirts? I bought a few, they do seem to help. The loose fitting T-shirt are OK , but the compression shirt work great. In the heat with the compression shirt and breeze of air that hits you almost gives you a chill. Unfortunately I'm 40 and I don't think I'm in the best of shapes to wear a compression shirt in public :o

Rain Man
10-04-2010, 10:18
Have fun hiking nude, but that next turn in the trail you could walk right up on a Boy scout troop with the troop leader being a local sheriff. :p

So, he's not only likely to be a homophobe, but also a nudephobe? And he's likely to abuse his office? I guess they go hand-in-hand.

How the pendulum has swung. Boy Scout groups used to go skinny dipping all the time. And people used to know and respect the difference between nudity and sex. Now the American mind is so deep in the gutter, it no longer can. We're back to "burning witches."

Rain:sunMan

4eyedbuzzard
10-04-2010, 10:55

So, he's not only likely to be a homophobe, but also a nudephobe? And he's likely to abuse his office? I guess they go hand-in-hand.

How the pendulum has swung. Boy Scout groups used to go skinny dipping all the time. And people used to know and respect the difference between nudity and sex. Now the American mind is so deep in the gutter, it no longer can. We're back to "burning witches."

Rain:sunMan

I highly doubt taking off one's shirt (even if over 30;)) in and of itself would be judged as a sex offense, seeing as I and millions of others do so when swimming in public or working outdoors on a hot day. Maybe in a Sharia court in Saudi Arabia - but not here yet. Context tends to be key. Outdoors, hiking on a hot day, the context wouldn't support such a conclusion, nor would even nudity in the woods in the context of a hiker changing clothes for example. From a legal perspective, for nudity to rise to the level of a sex crime, there has to be mens rea (guilty mind) accompaning the actus reus (guilty act).

Just because someone stumbles upon you naked doesn't mean a crime has been committed - you've just been caught with your pants down.

Shiraz-mataz
10-04-2010, 11:53
Like a lot of men, I will hike shirtless on hot, humid days. It feels great! Is there some consensus on this board that can be reached about WOMEN hiking topfree? Why do so many Americans cling to the sexualization of female breasts while men can enjoy the freedom of going topfree without the risk of arrest? One could arguably draw the line at genitalia and say "everyone ought to keep their pants on" but the double-standard on the subject of male vs. female breasts has always bothered me. I know that New York state has lifted such double-standards but I hope other states will follow their lead. Thoughts? Should female breasts be covered or are we, as hikers, more enlightened than the general public public?

warraghiyagey
10-04-2010, 12:19
The overwhelming take on nudity is much more telling of the people who are offended by it than people who realize we were naked before we ever had clothes. . .
And nude and sexuality are about as synonymous as britney spears and music. . . .

greenmtnboy
10-04-2010, 13:56
I have not been put off by the clothing or lack thereof with other hikers. If there is something offensive I can always avert my gaze. I was coming up on a female hiker today, who checked me out instinctively I guess, there were a few moments of feeling uncomfortable as if I might do something wrong. No, I would not knowingly try to make you uncomfortable or offend, and it does bother me when there is this almost Pavlovian response by women hiking alone, when a man passes them.

What people make of physical appearance is an entirely personal matter. How is it than in one situation nudity is entirely harmless, and without moral or ethical judgment, a baby, child, teenager or adult, and in another a cause of grave offense? There is certainly a place for situational ethics, though I believe in always speaking the truth when called to do so. As a previous poster said, what is in the mind of the doer and the viewer is the key, not necessarily what appears. For years I wore a healthy full beard. How was it perceived? By family and many women, as a cause of some offense, because no one in my family had worn a beard. One must be true to oneself and one's values, no matter what others think.

warraghiyagey
10-04-2010, 14:02
I have not been put off by the clothing or lack thereof with other hikers. If there is something offensive I can always avert my gaze. I was coming up on a female hiker today, who checked me out instinctively I guess, there were a few moments of feeling uncomfortable as if I might do something wrong.

. . . One must be true to oneself and one's values, no matter what others think.
Well said. . . it's beautiful yet sad when you pass a woman on the trail and simply smile hoping that she knows she's safe, or that a fellow human is just acknowledging her. . . with a smile . . . in a world that you wish there wasn't another dynamic that they have to think about all the time. . . . . . .

OnlyJohn
10-04-2010, 14:18
Amen, Skid Steer, Amen

nufsaid
10-04-2010, 14:52
....or the way to get your weight below 25 pounds....
(although I think going naked helps solve some of the problem -- no extra weight from carrying all those heavy clothes):D

If you are over age 12 and you get your weight under 25 pounds you most likely won't be worrying about hiking. But if you are still breathing you may well make the headline news.

Bronco Carl
10-04-2010, 15:15
When it is really hot I sometimes hike in a kilt. I really don't enjoy wet clinging sweaty shorts. A breeze up the kilt feels so much better. I also like to wear some type of sweat wicking shirt. Cotton just does not get it for me when hiking. Hiking naked, sorry, but no. Too many pointy things to grab things.

weary
10-04-2010, 16:06
Once in Pennsylvania there was a lot of chatter about a woman hiking naked. When I finally passed her, she did not strike me as a sexual object.

BTW, I doubt if many courts these days would consider simple nudity a sexual offense, not that I've ever been tempted to test this belief. I tend to limit the black flies and mosquitos to the conventionally exposed areas.

garlic08
10-04-2010, 16:33
This is from http://www.criminal-law-lawyer-source.com/terms/indecent.html (emphasis added):

"Indecent exposure is a crime that is defined as exposing one's genitals or socially deemed "private parts" (such as behind or breasts) in a public place where others are present and may witness the act....

"There are, however, some aggravating factors that may increase the severity of an indecent exposure charge. Indecent exposure is typically charged as a misdemeanor offense, which is less serious than a felony. A person who commits indecent exposure in the presence of a minor may face harsher penalties for their criminal offense. Other specific circumstances may also enhance the punishment for indecent exposure.

"An indecent exposure charge can have devastating effects on those accused. Indecent exposure carries a significant social stigma and may adversely affect a convicted offender for years to come. An indecent exposure conviction may prevent an offender from gaining or maintaining employment. In some cases an indecent exposure conviction can even require that an offender register as a sex offender in a national database for years to a lifetime.

"There are current indecent exposure laws that are being considered on the federal level. These indecent exposure laws would increase the penalties for indecent exposure and mandate that those convicted of this crime be immediately added to the sex offender registry."

4eyedbuzzard
10-04-2010, 17:34
This is from http://www.criminal-law-lawyer-source.com/terms/indecent.html (emphasis added): . . .

I just wanted to add that you left out a rather significant part in your cut and paste (not criticizing, just informative).

"Indecent exposure is a crime that is defined as exposing one's genitals or socially deemed "private parts" (such as behind or breasts) in a public place where others are present and may witness the act. A person who commits indecent exposure does so intentionally with an understanding that his/her conduct will likely alarm and offend others. Indecent exposure is often performed for the offender's personal sexual excitement or satisfaction, though in some cases it is a form of social rebellion."

The key is that, to be a crime, it must be an intentional act done for an unacceptable / unlawful purpose. If your clothes catch fire and you strip naked in front of Macy's picture window during the Thanksgiving Day parade - it isn't a crime. If you do it in the same time and place to amuse yourself - it is.

Appalachian Tater
10-04-2010, 17:51
Nudity is against the law on federal land

It's not that simple. There is no federal law prohibiting nudity on federal land but sometimes state or local laws apply on federal land by agreement or there can be rules against it.

On some federal land nudity is not illegal and on other land it is not allowed but tolerated and the law is not enforced. Frequently nude beaches are on federal parkland while nudity on the adjacent beaches covered by another jurisdiction will get you a fine. Often laws against nudity are only enforced when there is a complaint made and that is why getting to nude beaches frequently require a bit of walking.

Women, when you are in New York City, feel free to go topless. In New York State, baring the female breasts for non-commercial purposes is perfectly legal although some counties or cities might have more restrictive laws.

Pedaling Fool
10-04-2010, 17:54
Oh come on guys, don’t make me be the one that has to say the ****in’ obvious…The overwhelming number of people don’t associate nudity with sex. Yes if I see a girl’s naked boobs I’m going to think about sex, but not because they’re naked, I just think about sex a lot. That’s just a curse guys have to live with. Every time I see boobs at the store, on the trail or whereever I think about sex. I don’t even need to see boobs, I just need to see a female face or have a strong gust of wind...

You’ll sound like a bunch of girlie guys…Makes me sick.

warraghiyagey
10-04-2010, 18:07
Whatever Jeeziss boy.... there's a different way to observe women that includes honor and appreciation and doesn't have to include sex. . . yikes, dude. . .

greenmtnboy
10-04-2010, 18:51
Women definitely have the advantage in the nudity game, chalk it up that pioneer, Lady Godiva. Of course, the question is whether it gets enforced. Most people are discrete and thoughtful before calling in the authorities, and forest rangers are usually real gentlemen and trained professionals when it comes to problem behavior. But if you had someone who was smoking pot nude and did it provocatively in one of the Bible belt states, there you would have a serious public reaction.

Apparently Europe has more tolerant attitudes toward nudity, in the case of Stephen Gough, for example. There are more than a few nude pictures of this nude hiker on the internet, but since he insisted on wearing his birthday suit even in court with even his soft underbelly unclothed, the Scottish judges lost their sense of humor and kept putting him back in jail.

yari
10-04-2010, 19:17
It's not that simple. There is no federal law prohibiting nudity on federal land but sometimes state or local laws apply on federal land by agreement or there can be rules against it.

On some federal land nudity is not illegal and on other land it is not allowed but tolerated and the law is not enforced. Frequently nude beaches are on federal parkland while nudity on the adjacent beaches covered by another jurisdiction will get you a fine. Often laws against nudity are only enforced when there is a complaint made and that is why getting to nude beaches frequently require a bit of walking.

Women, when you are in New York City, feel free to go topless. In New York State, baring the female breasts for non-commercial purposes is perfectly legal although some counties or cities might have more restrictive laws.

Ayep, NY does allow women to go topless anywhere a man can. Doesn't happen much though. There was a case at a local state park where a mother lost her mind over a woman sunbathing topless. The park rangers asked the woman to put a top on and she refused. They told the complaining mother there was nothing they could do, the sunbather was within her rights. The mom gathered her kiddies and left in a huff.

Personally, I am all for nudity. The more the better. I think if more people went nude there would be a much healthier attitude about bodies in this country. But, I am also into figure drawing and that means lots of exposure to nude models, so I am inured.

I have been to nude beaches, campgrounds, done a bit of topless sunbathing in state parks. But, for the most part, if you are active being nude can be a problem. I am a fat old lady, there are parts of my body that don't stop moving at the same time I do and they simply get in the way. No one is thinking about sex if they see me nekkid, many are probably thinking about where to regurgitate their lunch. Nudity has it's place and time, I don't see hiking through the woods as either the place or time, purely for comfort reasons.

If you are going to go nude always remember your courtesy towel!