PDA

View Full Version : Elite 2%-Calling 65 Year Olds to Hike the A.T. in 2011

DapperD
10-01-2010, 20:20
Happened to see this article where people turning 65 years old are being asked to join in Thru-Hiking the A.T. for 2011. Wonder what other's think?:http://elitetwopercent.com/general/19

Wise Old Owl
10-01-2010, 20:24
I am too young.

warraghiyagey
10-01-2010, 20:27
I'm too old . . .

4eyedbuzzard
10-01-2010, 20:37
I've grown weary of for-profit motivational personalities.

Skidsteer
10-01-2010, 21:16
Should be ready to go in last part of May 2011 as the blackfly attacks should be over if you are hiking from Maine to Georgia (MEGA)...

Aaahahahahaha! :D

OMG, they're going to beat this poor man to death if they can catch him.

JAK
10-02-2010, 06:57
Maine black flles can do that? Maybe the elite 2%. :D

Carbo
10-02-2010, 09:00
I'll be 65 in 2011, and may change the plan to thru with this group. Just curious, if you were in your 20's, 30's, whatever, would you prefer to hike with everyone the same age as you? Or would you prefer a wide range of ages?

I have enjoyed section hikes with all ages. Gives an interesting mix of conversation and perspective. I imagine the same is true on a thru.

Your take?

4eyedbuzzard
10-02-2010, 09:11
I'll be 65 in 2011, and may change the plan to thru with this group. Just curious, if you were in your 20's, 30's, whatever, would you prefer to hike with everyone the same age as you? Or would you prefer a wide range of ages?

I have enjoyed section hikes with all ages. Gives an interesting mix of conversation and perspective. I imagine the same is true on a thru.

Your take?
I like hiking / meeting people of all different ages and backgrounds like you. I also think that the reality is (in no particular order)
1) It's likely going to be too big a group - the impact both on the trail while hiking and around shelters /camping areas would be unworkable, and also violates ATC guidlines and possibly many park regulations on group camping.
2) 50% will likely quit before they make it out of Georgia.
3) 80% won't make Damascus
4) 90% won't finish.
5) Too much variance in hiking /physical ability for a group like this to have any chance of staying together.
6) Sounds like a battalion movement, not a hike.

sbhikes
10-02-2010, 10:34
I never do anything with people my own age if I can help it.

I also doubt a large group of people can finish the trail, forget they are 65 years old. The larger the group the longer it takes to do anything. As a solo hiker I would pop up out of bed, immediately eat, immediately pack and be on the trail in 20 minutes by 5:30 or 6:00. I'd hike all day, sometimes stopping only to eat lunch, sometimes not stopping at all. When I came to a junction in the trail, I didn't stop and discuss it with anyone. I just plowed ahead in the direction I wanted to go. When I came to a water source, I had the whole procedure down to the quickest of motions, fill up, purify and go. When I saw a good place to camp, I had my tent up and dinner cooking in 15 minutes. Try and do any of that with a big group. It's guaranteed some those things will take an hour or more to accomplish.

Spokes
10-02-2010, 10:44
I agree with Skidsteer. The black fly comment was the first thing I picked up on. YIKES!!!!

Carbo
10-02-2010, 11:02
I like hiking / meeting people of all different ages and backgrounds like you. I also think that the reality is (in no particular order)
1) It's likely going to be too big a group - the impact both on the trail while hiking and around shelters /camping areas would be unworkable, and also violates ATC guidlines and possibly many park regulations on group camping.
2) 50% will likely quit before they make it out of Georgia.
3) 80% won't make Damascus
4) 90% won't finish.
5) Too much variance in hiking /physical ability for a group like this to have any chance of staying together.
6) Sounds like a battalion movement, not a hike.

I have to agree with you on most points. The thru is a very personal experience enhanced by those you meet along the way. I would rather leave the social experience more to chance, or fate, than having it pre-planned.

This is just one reason why I like the AMC sponsored hikes in my area. You get to meet a diverse group, and if you do more listening than talking it's a great experience all around.

Curious how this group will do next year. I'm afraid this is just the beginning of us boomers hitting the trail. I do hope we don't screw things up for everyone else!

Carbo
10-02-2010, 11:18
I never do anything with people my own age if I can help it.

I also doubt a large group of people can finish the trail, forget they are 65 years old. The larger the group the longer it takes to do anything...

Try and do any of that with a big group. It's guaranteed some those things will take an hour or more to accomplish.

Your point about not doing anything with people your own age was an eye opener! I never realized or admitted it to myself, but based on past experiences, I am exactly the same.

You are so right about things taking longer in groups! The last section hike, just four of us were to meet at 7 AM to start out. We didn't hit the trail til 9:30!... 45 minutes just to discuss the route we were taking (and this was a pre-planned route already decided).

JAK
10-02-2010, 11:39
I don't do things with people my age only because the ones I know don't do much outside. I do like to spend time with older folks than I because most of them have spent more time outside than most people my age. I get involved with younger folks, through my daughter, with track and field and rowing and kayaking, but I try to encourage them to do less structured outdoor activities as well, but it seems that most of them don't sho much interest in hiking or running or paddling outsider of the little they do through their organized activities. I would encourage people to get outside and hike or run or walk or paddle, individually or as part of a small group, or even a large group. Nothing wrong with a battalion march either. Food is usually good, and at least its outside. Whatever gets people outside. Outside is where it's at.

"When I stepped out into the bright sunlight from the darkness of the movie house, I had only two things on my mind: Paul Newman and a ride home..."

moytoy
10-02-2010, 11:50
I'm too young, I'll only be 64 next year. Even if I could start next year I would stay as far away from that group (or any group) as possible. I plan to start in 2014 or 2015.

Feral Bill
10-02-2010, 12:18
Coots in Boots?

Red Hat
10-02-2010, 12:23
Another "Geezer Hike"... ask Bayou how that one went... clue, he quit driving for them in Harpers Ferry

JAK
10-02-2010, 12:36
65 isn't that old. Most of the people making fun are nearly there though, so It's fair game I suppose. Anyhow, I hope to be hiking well past 70. Actually, I am happing just to be hiking well now. ;) Already some days are easier than others. I'm making it a point now, to get outside every day, for at least an hour. I am not counting weekly mileage or calories burned or anything like that anymore, just time spent outside. It's really all about time on the outside. Outside. Every day. Year Round.

"When I stepped out into the bright sunlight from the darkness of the movie house, I had only two things on my mind: Paul Newman and a ride home..."

JAK
10-02-2010, 12:55
Nothing Gold Can Stay
- Robert Frost

Nature's first green is gold,
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.

Carbo
10-02-2010, 13:46
65 isn't that old. Most of the people making fun are nearly there though, so It's fair game I suppose. Anyhow, I hope to be hiking well past 70. Actually, I am happing just to be hiking well now. ;) Already some days are easier than others. I'm making it a point now, to get outside every day, for at least an hour. I am not counting weekly mileage or calories burned or anything like that anymore, just time spent outside. It's really all about time on the outside. Outside. Every day. Year Round.

Due to a lay-off back in June and the lack of jobs, I'm pretty much retired. I've spent nearly every day for the past three months outside, backpacking 2-4 days at a time, or hiking in the mountains, walking in a local park for 1-2 hours a day. I dropped 9 lbs, BP is normal for the first time in 10 years (with medication). I have met and socialized with a lot more people and having basically a good time. I have to say this "gettin old" crap aint so bad!... and work really does interfere with life.

JAK
10-02-2010, 18:02
That's really great to hear. I'm glad the timing worked out for you. Alot of people are still a little too far way from retirement. I'm on the Freedom 75 plan myself, so I have quite a ways to go yet. lol. In the meantime, as much as I can I am definitely trying to get some life to interfere with my work. Outside. Everyday. Year Round. :)

Speaking of which. Gotta go now. Thanks for the push. ;)

"I had taken the long way around, but I was finally home. To stay."
— S.E. Hinton (The Outsiders)

Carbo
10-03-2010, 00:40
...Outside. Everyday. Year Round. :)

Can't wait for February, when it's 10 degrees outside with a nor'easter dumping 18+ inches of snow. I'm wondering is shoveling snow for 3-4 hours a day good cross-training for a hike?

JAK
10-03-2010, 09:17
Can't wait for February, when it's 10 degrees outside with a nor'easter dumping 18+ inches of snow. I'm wondering is shoveling snow for 3-4 hours a day good cross-training for a hike?I haven't bought a snowblower yet and hope to never have to. Short driveway and walkway helps. :) Some winters its the other way around though. The hiking and paddling and cross-country skiing are good cross-training for shovelling. ;)

rainmaker
10-03-2010, 09:56
You have got to kidding me. This guy is looking for the easiest hike possible. Think about it, the AT is nothing more than a leisurely stroll through quaint villages with fresh water and pizzas every 10 miles or so. Most of the climbing is done on well graded paths or stairs with hand rails and beautifully carved benches for resting. If he really wants to set a Guinnes record that will stand for all time he should set his sights on the CDT.

This reminds me of the 2008 Bike Florida ride I was on. The average age was upper sixties. Because it was Florida most assumed it was flat, it wasn't, they complained They complained about the food, the campgrounds, the showers, and the weather. Their backs hurt, their feet hurt and they had problems with body parts and functions I just w'ont discuss.

I'm finished with my complaining now.

Red Hat
10-03-2010, 17:35
You have got to kidding me. This guy is looking for the easiest hike possible. Think about it, the AT is nothing more than a leisurely stroll through quaint villages with fresh water and pizzas every 10 miles or so. Most of the climbing is done on well graded paths or stairs with hand rails and beautifully carved benches for resting. If he really wants to set a Guinnes record that will stand for all time he should set his sights on the CDT.

This reminds me of the 2008 Bike Florida ride I was on. The average age was upper sixties. Because it was Florida most assumed it was flat, it wasn't, they complained They complained about the food, the campgrounds, the showers, and the weather. Their backs hurt, their feet hurt and they had problems with body parts and functions I just w'ont discuss.

I'm finished with my complaining now.

I'd say you haven't hiked much up north or you'd know that it's not well graded and there aren't a lot of stairs or benches... just big rocks

10-K
10-03-2010, 17:52
Your take?

Honestly, I prefer to hike alone over any distance.

rainmaker
10-03-2010, 20:10
I'd say you haven't hiked much up north or you'd know that it's not well graded and there aren't a lot of stairs or benches... just big rocks

Red Hat,
Please note the grinning avatar at the beginning of my post.

Carbo
10-04-2010, 09:16
Red Hat,
Please note the grinning avatar at the beginning of my post.

Darn... you were kidding!! and I was looking forward to those pizzas every 10 miles or so.

warren doyle
10-12-2010, 19:37
You gotta be kidding me!!

Grampie
10-13-2010, 16:49
Your plan would be something if you could pull it off. I'd be willing to bet each of the starters, giving 10 to 1 odds that they don't make it.
:rolleyes:

Cookerhiker
10-13-2010, 17:03
From the article:

"..The Georgia to Maine (GAME) trip starts earlier in either mid March or early April and you do have to contend with snow then...."

Those dudes are in for a rude awakening if they believe that.

And that's too bad because I like the idea of 65+ year olds challenging themselves with an AT hike. I hope they succeed but they better prepare better than that indicated by the above statement and the one about the black flies.