PDA

View Full Version : geocaching...this could stir up pot some

grandview
12-03-2004, 22:14
What do you think about geocaching along the AT?

Percival
12-03-2004, 22:23
what the hell is geocatching. if you mean those little metros, a kid on a bike could outrun them.

grandview
12-03-2004, 23:04
what the hell is geocatching. if you mean those little metros, a kid on a bike could outrun them.
i'm honestly speechless after that.

FatMan
12-03-2004, 23:09
what the hell is geocatching. if you mean those little metros, a kid on a bike could outrun them. I believe Geocaching is like a GPS scavenger hunt.

What do I think about it?.......I've never given it a thought.:-?

Pencil Pusher
12-03-2004, 23:58
http://www.geocaching.comSeems fun, though with the current mapping software and the clues, you could almost forego the GPS unit when finding these.

The Old Fhart
12-03-2004, 23:59
I don't see why there should be any problem. I hope there isn't a suggestion that public land should be restricted to thru-hiking use only. There already are restrictions as to where geocaches can be placed. There are over 130,000 geocaches worldwide and WB members like myself and Attroll are geocachers.

For more information go to www.geocaching.com. You'll probably find there are a lot of geocaches in your own town as well as some on or near the A.T..

magic_game03
12-04-2004, 00:07
Yea, with all the trash everywhere that's exactly just what we need, people stashing crap all over our forest. I'm sure all you weekend warriors with your new Christmas gps units are just dying to go out and cash something. What, like an old golf club maybe, or an old cordless phone that doesn't work? Please do the world some good and go volunteer your time to a local trail group and stop creating more mounds of trash. I know, I know, your going to clean up after yourselves, we all do. I'm not perfect either, I often come up with ways to entertain myself and later think of how productive I could have been.

By the way it's illegal, It's called littering! There are only two types of land in America public and private, and if it isn’t your land it’s illegal to purposely leave something on either, even if you plan to come back and clean up after yourself. Our forest is not storage spaces for people’s endless need and disposal of garbage.

If 1 in 300 people have a GPS unit, that’s a million GPS units on the street and in the forest. IF YOU GEOCACHE, PLEASE DON’T DO IT ON OUR TRAILS, IN OUR FOREST, AND ON THE LOCAL PRIVATE LANDS that are maintained by mostly VOULENTEER trail workers who are already overburdened with illegal dump sites like US 19E or Gov. Clement shelter. All of the National Scenic Trails could use all that high strung energy your overwhelmed with, and the .

grandview
12-04-2004, 00:13
I don't see why there should be any problem. I hope there isn't a suggestion that public land should be restricted to thru-hiking use only. There already are restrictions as to where geocaches can be placed. There are over 130,000 geocaches worldwide and WB members like myself and Attroll are geocachers.

For more information go to www.geocaching.com (http://www.geocaching.com/). You'll probably find there are a lot of geocaches in your own town as well as some on or near the A.T..
doesnt matter to me...i think it's a cool concept...
you're right, there's one right down the street from me...among others.

reason why i said it might stir up the pot some is that some consider it nothing more than leaving crap in the woods.

i see no insinuation about restricting public land to thru-hiking.

grandview
12-04-2004, 00:15
Yea, with all the trash everywhere that's exactly just what we need, people stashing crap all over our forest. I'm sure all you weekend warriors with your new Christmas gps units are just dying to go out and cash something. What, like an old golf club maybe, or an old cordless phone that doesn't work? Please do the world some good and go volunteer your time to a local trail group and stop creating more mounds of trash. I know, I know, your going to clean up after yourselves, we all do. I'm not perfect either, I often come up with ways to entertain myself and later think of how productive I could have been.

By the way it's illegal, It's called littering! There are only two types of land in America public and private, and if it isn’t your land it’s illegal to purposely leave something on either, even if you plan to come back and clean up after yourself. Our forest is not storage spaces for people’s endless need and disposal of garbage.

If 1 in 300 people have a GPS unit, that’s a million GPS units on the street and in the forest. IF YOU GEOCACHE, PLEASE DON’T DO IT ON OUR TRAILS, IN OUR FOREST, AND ON THE LOCAL PRIVATE LANDS that are maintained by mostly VOULENTEER trail workers who are already overburdened with illegal dump sites like US 19E or Gov. Clement shelter. All of the National Scenic Trails could use all that high strung energy your overwhelmed with, and the .
and away we go

magic_game03
12-04-2004, 00:17
darn it, i hate when Word doesn't catch my human errors.

cash=cache
voulenteer=volunteer
...and anything else i missed.

Pencil Pusher
12-04-2004, 00:32
More than likely you muggles won't even find these geocaches. Not even the lame ones who prefer to play prissy PC on the internet.

Lugnut
12-04-2004, 02:38
Several people I know are into Geocaching. I'm not, but have no problem with those who are. Most of the items cached are small trinket type things and with multitudes searching for them it seems unlikely they will end up as litter. It's just a fun activity. No need to get up in arms. :)

peter_pan
12-04-2004, 09:05
Once Pandora's Box is opened...look out....Agree with magic Game 03.

This stuff has no perminent or semi-perminent place on public land...These GPS points will become over used spots...dead end trails to their location will pop up willy nilly and other hikers will take them mistakenly...Some of those led astray may take their vengence on the cashe...hopefully, they will just remove it...if they rehide it, it may become perminent trash...if they are casual weekenders who do not know of or believe in LNT and chose to destroy, it there will be an ugly litter spot at the end of a dead-end trail.

Orienteers put their marking flags up for an event ( one or two days) then take them down. Clubs are encouraged not to use the same points on their orienteering courses...it makes the game to easy...it causes "line of least resistance trails" to appear...this will ruin their future games...gives legitimate trail maintainers fits.

Don't let this Casheing Crap get started on public land. It is nothing but high tec orienteering...they need to respect the land in the same manner that Orienteers do............ Put it up...take it down...LNT.

Youngblood
12-04-2004, 09:26
I'm confused by some of the previous post. First of all, about this Geo Catching... is it fair to catch them if they are standing still and no one is inside to defend it? And what do you do with the folks inside when you catch it? ... or the Geo itself for that matter? Can you recycle them through any General Motors dealership or do you have to go to one that handles Chevys?

ACH05
12-04-2004, 09:51
This thread reminds me of an old saying my grandfather sometimes used.

"An empty barrel makes more noise than a full one."

Lone Wolf
12-04-2004, 09:57
I know where there is one on the main street of Damascus. I'm gonna move it just to ****** with the geeks. :D

The Old Fhart
12-04-2004, 11:23
I know where there is one on the main street of Damascus. I'm gonna move it just to ****** with the geeks.
Lone Wolf, The A.T. brick in front of MRO is just one of two in Damascus. The other is the old shelter in the park. Need some help moving the shelter? :)

Oh, although not on the A.T., there is also one on Backbone rock

grandview
12-04-2004, 11:33
This thread reminds me of an old saying my grandfather sometimes used.

"An empty barrel makes more noise than a full one."
and the squeeky wheel gets the most grease too....just a little healthy debate

Lone Wolf
12-04-2004, 11:48
Hey Fhart, I'll just burn the shelter. :)

Dances with Mice
12-04-2004, 12:16
Great topic and so timely, too! I've been looking for a good dog pack so Fido can carry my GPS, pistol, and cell phone. Any recommendations? :rolleyes:

Haiku
12-04-2004, 13:02
I came across two others which haven't been mentioned yet, also on the Trail. One of them was where there was already a register, so it wasn't adding any additional trash to the Trail. Of course, I found them without a GPS, so they weren't very well hidden.

Haiku.

kyerger
12-04-2004, 13:16
I think if i find one of those things on my thru-hike i will dig a cat hole and help them out! Maybe then they could find it quicker by following their nose.....:banana

MisterSweetie
12-04-2004, 18:35
When I geocache, I (about 85% of the time) take a garbage bag with me and pick up garbage along my walk to the geocache. This is a common practice among geocachers, especially the ones I know. Some caches are placed specifically for the purpose of area cleanup. I personally have been involved with clean up groups (about 15 people, working for about 5 hours one day) while geocaching.

So to say that geocachers add more trash to nature is a touch unfair. While you may see their fun as trash, by and large I think you'll find that more trash leaves the area a geocache is in than enters it.

MOWGLI
12-04-2004, 20:16
Most Land Managers despise the idea. Park Rangers & Managers like to keep people on trails. Geocaching tends to get people off the trail.

Dances with Mice
12-04-2004, 20:58
Most Land Managers despise the idea. Park Rangers & Managers like to keep people on trails. Geocaching tends to get people off the trail.

Do all geocache 'targets' have stashes with notebooks and trinkets? Are there 'virtual' g-c spots with only on-line logbooks?

I'm thinking that someone could list a site like a scenic overlook, a mountain top, a waterfall, or some other physical feature, on a trail, for others to locate. That would get more people out walking which is a good thing. Or is beating the bush to find the cache part of the appeal?

Tha Wookie
12-04-2004, 21:56
Geocatching has been around for a long time. There is a British society that has been doing international hunts for over 100 years. Only recently was the compass and map replaced in a mainstream fad fueling the resurgence. Now you can see people looking down at a computer screen instead of up at their surroundings with a compass.

Thankfully, some people still use the opportunity to practice route-mapping skills. I met one such family at Cape Disappointment on the WCT this year. They said most of the traditional "catchers" (although they use a different term I can't remember) wouldn't be caught dead with a GPS.
The only thing I can say about the GPS catchers is that at least they're outdoors.

MOWGLI
12-05-2004, 08:34
Do all geocache 'targets' have stashes with notebooks and trinkets? Are there 'virtual' g-c spots with only on-line logbooks?

I'm thinking that someone could list a site like a scenic overlook, a mountain top, a waterfall, or some other physical feature, on a trail, for others to locate. That would get more people out walking which is a good thing. Or is beating the bush to find the cache part of the appeal?

DWM, I must profess some ignorance too. I think most of todays geocache enthusiasts have some notebooks & trinkets, but they are sometimes taken by persons unknown.

I also misspoke when I said "Most Land Managers despise geocaching". In fact, I don't know what "most Land Managers" think. It is not a stretch to say it is a very controversial subject however, and some Land Managers would not like to have to deal with the issue. I don't have any firm opinion one way or another.

Which brings me to another question... Are all outdoor recreation activities necessarily good? I met with representatives of the Forest Service this week in Atlanta, and the Recreation Manager I was sitting with told me about these off-road skateboards (with big knobby tires) that are becoming popular in places like Asheville. It gets people outdoors, but its one more thing that our already stressed Federal Land Managers have to deal with. SAR of injured skateboarders, damaged trails from these new devices, and the list goes on.

r_m_anderson
12-05-2004, 09:08
I couldn't find a Geo, so I cached an old Buick.
N 41.32013 W 73.97988, hint ... on the trail but watch for traffic.

Lone Wolf
12-05-2004, 09:13
This geocache thing is a non-issue. You don't have 20 geeks a day for 2 months assaulting a site like backpackers do Springer Mtn. That place is a friggin mess. The AT is loved to death.

tlbj6142
12-05-2004, 10:59
Lone Wolf, The A.T. brick in front of MRO is just one of two in Damascus. The other is the old shelter in the park. I think there is on the AT along the creeper trail as well.

While hiking SOBO into Damascus just after crossing the bridge on the creeper trail, the AT turns left back into the woods. On the right side of the path is a very large bolder. Under the back corner of the bolder I saw a small pile of rocks and a white tupperware-like container. I left it there, but I assume it is a cache.

I've been asking for a GPS for the past 2 Xmas just for Geocaching. Seems like a great way to get my kids to go hiking (and/or backpacking) with me.

Geocaching became popular in 2000 after the GPS SA (a security mechanism put on the signal to reduce the accuracy to something like 300') was dropped in May 2000.

I'm sure its been around, in one form or another, for many years prior to 2000. I remember hearing about something similar while I was in college ('88-'92).

The Old Fhart
12-05-2004, 11:53
I couldn't find a Geo, so I cached an old Buick.
N 41.32013 W 73.97988, hint ... on the trail but watch for traffic.Looks like the east end of the Bear Mountain Bridge.

Toolshed
12-05-2004, 20:34
Letterboxing, as it is known in Europe, started in the UK. IIRC, It has been around much longer than the AT.
As for Geoaching, I have founda bout a dozen now, and I know where there are 3 hidden on the AT in PA and I had fun looking for them. I am all for it. I tink it is great fun for all and it gets folks into the woods. If you have an issue with littering or others on your trail, I say "Bah Humbug".

If you are a GeoChhacher and you want to stash some boxes on the AT (or any other Trail) you have my permission.

(This is Toolshed and I approve of this message)
:D

Pencil Pusher
12-05-2004, 22:08
I like the geocaching, it'd be neat to try the harder ones. I placed a super easy one right by where I live and in the first month 19 separate people found it and signed the logbook online. From what I've read online, this seems to be a family activity.

The website has some good directions and guidelines to follow in regards to placing new caches.

attroll
12-05-2004, 23:32
I do geocaching. I see no problem with it. If it becomes a problem then it should be reported to geocaching.com. It can be a problem just like anything else can if it is not maintained. The person that places the cache is suppose to check on it periodically. But that does not mean it always happens. There is one right now that I went to in Grafton Notch in Maine on the AT. The area was all trampeld up. I reported that one. I have not heard anything back from it yet. I don't think that geocaches should be placed on the AT. If you do then maybe on one of the logging roads or something to that sort. But if you have to leave the AT by trampeling through the woods to get to the cache then they should not be there. But it is like any other sport or hobby, there are some that ruin it for others.

Tha Wookie
12-06-2004, 01:05
Letterboxing, as it is known in Europe, started in the UK. IIRC, It has been around much longer than the AT.

Yes! "Letterboxing"! That's the name... thank you! I could not remember. Very neat IMOP!

I just don't see the same "sporting" essence in the handheld GPS unit version (which is "geocatching", right?). True, it might get people out in the woods, but glued to computer monitors? huh! Might as well hunt deer with a smart bomb.

tlbj6142
12-06-2004, 10:34
I just don't see the same "sporting" essence in the handheld GPS unit version (which is "geocatching", right?).You still have to find the cache. GPS is not accurate enough to give you the exact location. Typically within 30 yards (WAAS isn't all that reliable in most places to give you better accuracy). That results in a 30 sq yd box to find the cache.

The Solemates
12-06-2004, 10:41
When I geocache, I (about 85% of the time) take a garbage bag with me and pick up garbage along my walk to the geocache. This is a common practice among geocachers, especially the ones I know. Some caches are placed specifically for the purpose of area cleanup. I personally have been involved with clean up groups (about 15 people, working for about 5 hours one day) while geocaching.

So to say that geocachers add more trash to nature is a touch unfair. While you may see their fun as trash, by and large I think you'll find that more trash leaves the area a geocache is in than enters it.

We too do the same when we geocache...and I know that many people do. Just like with the AT, youre gonna have bad participants and good ones.

TheCheat2
12-06-2004, 12:32
Heard from an EMT this weekend. She said they are expecting to have to rescue a few people this winter after they get their GPS's for Christmas and go geocaching.

Pencil Pusher
12-06-2004, 21:03
Hopefully they keep those EMTs on a leash while out in the wilderness.

Tha Wookie
12-06-2004, 21:21
You still have to find the cache. GPS is not accurate enough to give you the exact location. Typically within 30 yards (WAAS isn't all that reliable in most places to give you better accuracy). That results in a 30 sq yd box to find the cache.
About the same accuracy as a smart bomb.

I was at a very popular backpacking store this evening, and saw a book on "letterboxing". I encourage you GPSers to check out letterboxing! It seems far more engaging and certainly is more involving of your surroundings.

Toolshed
12-06-2004, 21:25
Heard from an EMT this weekend. She said they are expecting to have to rescue a few people this winter after they get their GPS's for Christmas and go geocaching.
Hmmm? I thought the EMTs just keep em alive once the SAR folks find'em and bring them in. 'course that could be said for snowshoes, compasses, hiking guides and many other things, including cell phones so it is probably shortsighted to limit it to a GPS.

grandview
12-07-2004, 02:02
job security

The Cheat
12-07-2004, 09:36
Hmmm? I thought the EMTs just keep em alive once the SAR folks find'em and bring them in. 'course that could be said for snowshoes, compasses, hiking guides and many other things, including cell phones so it is probably shortsighted to limit it to a GPS.
Okay, my mistake. :o

Revised:

Heard from an EMT this weekend. She thinks she will be somehow involved in rescues of a few people this winter after they get their GPS's for Christmas and go geocaching.

Tramper Al
12-07-2004, 10:47
You still have to find the cache. GPS is not accurate enough to give you the exact location. Typically within 30 yards (WAAS isn't all that reliable in most places to give you better accuracy). That results in a 30 sq yd box to find the cache.
Actually, your area of search with 30 yard linear accuracy would be neither 30 square yards nor would it be a box. From your waypoint estimate location, your search area would be within a circle, radius 30 yards, and thus more like 2800+ square yards. Now that sounds like sport.

lobster
12-07-2004, 10:52
I just heard through the grapevine that only 7 pairs of footprints were seen all season along the little section north of the road crossing in Fontana.

lobster
12-07-2004, 10:54
Lone Wolf,

Don't be an awful eco-terrorist!

Tha Wookie
12-07-2004, 12:06
Actually, your area of search with 30 yard linear accuracy would be neither 30 square yards nor would it be a box. From your waypoint estimate location, your search area would be within a circle, radius 30 yards, and thus more like 2800+ square yards. Now that sounds like sport.
But the fact is GPS units can be far more accurate than 30 yards. I use them in field survey research, and routinely get an accuracy down to several feet. I also carried one on the entire Colorado Trail while updating the Colorado Trail Data Book, and I'm very familiar with how they work, which models have better accuracy, and what it takes to get a good waypoint (although it is true at times I didn't have the positioning I would have liked, as some who have since used the databook might attest).

Even with the cheap models, a very accurate waypoint can be achieved. So basically, Geocatching is not a game of being in the forest surroundings, but rather the topographical and meteorlogical charateristics. Seems like a map and compass would be FAR more empowering, challenging, and rewarding. OH, yeah, and the accuracy is not based on NASA, but YOURSELF!

Go Letterboxing! Or just plain old hiking!

Lone Wolf
12-07-2004, 12:17
lobster,

I'm not even a good eco-terrorist. Matter of fact I hate those stinkin hippie types.

UCONNMike
12-07-2004, 14:52

I agree, those geo-dorks shoudl keep their crap off the AT, the AT is for hiking, not a grown up version of an elementary school scavenger hunt. It sounds like a ridiculous activity, kinda like people who talk to people on trucker radios from their house for fun, Nerds.

Toolshed
12-07-2004, 15:02
I agree, those geo-dorks shoudl keep their crap off the AT, the AT is for hiking, not a grown up version of an elementary school scavenger hunt. It sounds like a ridiculous activity, kinda like people who talk to people on trucker radios from their house for fun, Nerds.

Yeah Mike, I'm with you on this one!!!! :rolleyes:
While we are at it, let's keep the freakin' nature lovers, birdwatchers, tree huggers, photographers, biologists, arborists, historians, dogwalkers, exercisers, runners, orienteering groups and everybody else who isn't there to only 'HIKE'. Matter of fact, let's set up checkpoints and inspect their packs to make sure they are only out there to hike and nothing else. :rolleyes:

The Old Fhart
12-11-2004, 18:34
magic_game03 "By the way it's illegal, It's called littering! There are only two types of land in America public and private, and if it isn’t your land it’s illegal to purposely leave something on either, even if you plan to come back and clean up after yourself. Our forest is not storage spaces for people’s endless need and disposal of garbage."I always find it humorous how the least informed always present their distorted opinions as fact. The facts are that it is legal and you can check the official position of the Dept. of the Interior at click here (http://www.blm.gov/nhp/efoia/wo/fy03/im2003-182.htm) where they state: "The BLM believes that geocaching is an appropriate casual use of public land." There are prohibitions on placing caches in National Parks and some other areas but the cache approvers are familiar with the rules and don't allow caches to be placed in prohibited areas.

How a very small group, i.e., some thru-hikers, feels they can dictate public land use is truely amusing. Public land is not just reserved for an elite few.

My friend Ray is a trail maintainer and is concerned about careless placement of caches along the A.T., and I basically agree, but I see nothing wrong with other people enjoying their public lands responsibly. Geocaching has far less of an impact on the land than thru-hiking.

food
12-11-2004, 19:11
There are virtual caches where you need to read a plaque, take a picture, etc. Pasted in is a link to my favorite. I was there in October 2002, but was not aware of it at the time and did not get a picture. :confused:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=29171

the onondaga kid
07-03-2007, 18:53

There are many many caches like this, and they are indeed called 'virtual caches' . To prove you've found them you often have to answer a question that can only be answered by having been there (ie a date on a plack, number of slats on a bridge, etc.) They are very popular in national parks where 'traditional caches' are not possible.

In refference to problems resulting from bushwacking off the trail to find a cache, most caches are close to local trails, in areas with rocky, already worn, sloping, or otherwise resiliant terrain. Most geocachers have a mind for LNT principles, and the route to a cache from the trail is rarely the same from cacher to cacher, which prevents paths from forming. Caches are only kept active if they are being maintained, so they usually don't last for more than a couple of years.

To the user who mentioned orienteering, and how orienteering courses are frequently changed, geocacheing doesn't depend on a navigation system which requires you to travel in a straight line, like orienteering. I typically try to get as close as possible while keeping on the trail and then when I have to bushwack, I can avoid trampling vegitation while still keeping track of where my destination is.

Lastly, why complain about geocachers? Geocaching is bringing out lots of people (including us computer geeks) who wouldn't otherwise make use of places like the AT. With more people getting involved, more people have a stake in it, and more people will feel compelled to donate their time or resources to trail clubs.

Geocachers have a slogan that goes 'Cache in, Trash out'. Sound familiar? It's part of a campaign to pick up trash along the trail that includes leaving trash bags in film canisters with the Cache in Trash out logo stamped on them in the caches, in order to encourage cachers to get involved.

buckowens
07-03-2007, 19:36
Did two caches while hiking GA section with Roo a few weeks ago. We released two Geocoins (think of a nice coin with a tracking number that travels around the world) so Roo and my son could follow their travels. Started talking about doing it while deployed, and found it to be a really fun with the family. For those who don't have kids yet, this is something that they love, and gets them out of the house with you as a family unit... Kind of like a treasure hunt for sure. The good part is that while out I have seen some pretty old and out of shape folks hiking to find the goods!! Hey, come to think of it maybe they are saying the same thing when they see me :D

SoonerTex
07-03-2007, 23:24
I have been caching for a couple of years. It is a great way to get out and see some areas that you may not know about. I agree that we need to protect the areas when searching or placing caches. And most definetly Cache In-Trash Out.

katagious
07-04-2007, 05:49

HAHAHA, that was honestly my first laugh of the day. Thanks...I really enjoyed that.:p :sun :D ;)

Nightwalker
07-04-2007, 07:43
Always assume the worst! A hallmark of many of our members! :)

I've never done it. If done away from the corridor and off public lands, it seems harmless enough. I have more enjoyable uses for GPS receivers (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=17398&postid=7772#post7772).

Yea, with all the trash everywhere that's exactly just what we need, people stashing crap all over our forest.

Nightwalker
07-04-2007, 07:46
Hey Fhart, I'll just burn the shelter. :)

Make sure you film it! :banana

Nightwalker
07-04-2007, 07:49
I do geocaching. I see no problem with it. If it becomes a problem then it should be reported to geocaching.com. It can be a problem just like anything else can if it is not maintained. The person that places the cache is suppose to check on it periodically. But that does not mean it always happens. There is one right now that I went to in Grafton Notch in Maine on the AT. The area was all trampeld up. I reported that one. I have not heard anything back from it yet. I don't think that geocaches should be placed on the AT. If you do then maybe on one of the logging roads or something to that sort. But if you have to leave the AT by trampeling through the woods to get to the cache then they should not be there. But it is like any other sport or hobby, there are some that ruin it for others.

Extremely good point, and kiss-up points for me! :D

Happy 4th o' July up there in Maine, Troll!

Just Jeff
07-04-2007, 08:33
My wife loves geocaching. My kids like being outside, but once we find it they get bored when she reads the entries and stuff. Re: it messing up nature, not the ones we've done. They've led us to the tops of peaks with great views, or along loop trails (i.e. no one-way dead-end trails), a few of them were hidden in or below a bridge on a road, etc. There are some off-trail, but they're not active enough to create wear and tear b/c most folks won't put forth the effort or are scared of being off-trail, even with the GPS. We could never see a trail forming for the couple of off-trail ones we did.

A lot of them are still pretty hard to find, even with the GPS accuracy. Tree cover makes the GPS jump all over the place, and some of the caches don't give you the exact coordinates of the cache...they just get you close and then give you clues.

Regardless, it's a way for my wife to enjoy being outdoors as much as I do, and a way for us to explore new places when we travel or each time we move (every few years in the military). We even found a trail in the park across the street from our house that we didn't know was there.

Like everything else, there are responsible geocachers and irresponsible cachers. Not every thru-hiker is good to the trail, either...but get them out there where they can meet others and a lot of them can be taught.

One geocache was actually inside a store...but they sold camping hammocks so I was stoked.

Heater
07-04-2007, 09:41
A lot of them are still pretty hard to find, even with the GPS accuracy. Tree cover makes the GPS jump all over the place, and some of the caches don't give you the exact coordinates of the cache...they just get you close and then give you clues.

In the deep woods, sometimes the signals aren't cular.

Just Jeff
07-04-2007, 11:11
Heh...well said. :D