PDA

View Full Version : fall/ winter sleeping bags

C Seeker
10-01-2010, 20:52
My partner and me will be doing our through hike next year June-December. Front Royal-Maine then Maine-Front Royal
I was wondering what type of sleeping bag will work best, be pretty cheap, and can last a long time? Thanks:confused:

4eyedbuzzard
10-01-2010, 23:27
My partner and me will be doing our through hike next year June-December. Front Royal-Maine then Maine-Front Royal
I was wondering what type of sleeping bag will work best, be pretty cheap, and can last a long time? Thanks:confused:

Care to further explain your itinerary?

Toolshed
10-02-2010, 05:26
flip-flip (or flop-flop):D

C Seeker
10-02-2010, 07:52
we are doing a flip-flop- from June- September we will be going Front Royal (50 miles north of Harpers Ferry) to Maine. We will then fly, train, drive down to Georgia and hike to Front Royal Once again from October- December.

I'm wondering what degree bag I will need. What type of materail would everyone prefere, and if anyone one has a favorite that isn't to expensize. Thanks

4eyedbuzzard
10-02-2010, 10:11
Best "cheap" all around bag is likely a Campmor 20 deg http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/SubCategory___40000000226_200368355?ip_navtype=Adv ancedSearch&catFilter=&ip_sortBy=&catType=&searchCategory=browsefilter&manNameFilter=&priceFilter=&filters=Manufacturer+Name%7ECampmor%7ECampmor+%288 %29&searchKeywords=200368355

If I were on a tight budget and limited to only one bag, I'd go with the 20 deg Campmor and be prepared to use a liner and/or wear base layers towards the end of my hike. You'll also have to consider your sleeping pad. A closed cell will be fine, but if you're using an air only pad like a Neoair or Big Agnes be prepared to supplement it with a closed cell when the temps get below 35 to 40 or so. Also, if you're using a tent that has good tight fly coverage , this will help with staying warm as opposed to sleeping in shelters.

That all said I'd prefer to go with a 40 deg bag from June thru mid Sept, and then switch to a 20 (or even a 10) if still in NH/ME, although you may switch back to the 40 for a few weeks depending upon when you flop to GA and then switch out again prior to GSMNP or based on careful watch of weather info. A 20 is going to be marginal the later you finish. Dec (especially late Dec) can bring really cold temps anywhere in the Appalachians. Better to error on the side of too warm.

C Seeker
10-02-2010, 10:59
thank you for your input- i already own a thermarest bag closed cell and air. I will be sleeping in my ENO doublenest hammock, and right now I own a 20-30 or so degree bag which I have yet haven't been cold in but Have not slept in it at 20. Only thing i'm not to happy with is the 3 pounds and a little big for my liking.

The wolf
01-23-2011, 10:59
I just had a terrific night in my north face hotlum XL +15 and was all nice and toasty. It was 18 degrees out and I slept in a pair of zip offs and a tee shirt. Next time I'm wearing wool socks. REI half dome 2 tent worked well with fly. I highly reccomend REI's self inflatable shorty pad.

leaftye
01-23-2011, 11:11
Can you sew? What do you think about quilts? For less than $100, you can have a very large quilt with 4" of loft that weighs about 30 ounces. It sounds like you're smaller than me, so your quilt would probably weigh substantially less...maybe 25 ounces. You can spend even less if you sell your excess down. It can be plenty durable with 1.1 oz/yd ripstop nylon.

I haven't taken a quilt much below 20°F, but I know I wouldn't want a quilt if temps were going to drop below freezing because the drafts would be brutal.

C Seeker
01-23-2011, 13:55
I just got the REI Sub Kilo womens sleeping bag. I have only set it up once and laid in it for about 20 minutes in the cold windy weather at my house. Stayed nice and toasty incept for where the down was compacted by the side of the hammock. But other than that I love it and will be testing it out on a prep bp trip next weekend.