PDA

View Full Version : Water? Unicoi south to Woody Gap

Scrapes
10-01-2010, 23:16
Looking for some trail info, Unicoi south to Woody Gap. Looks like water is ample, is this accurate, any high lights we should know about? Thanks for sharing your info. scrapes

Heading there next week.

haleswd
10-07-2010, 14:10
I am planning on doing the same hike soon, only NOBO. So, I am very interested in your trip. Please let me know how much water you found once you get back to civilization.

Trailweaver
10-07-2010, 16:26
Contact the folks at the Hiker Hostel (located in Dahlonega, GA). They can tell you what you need to know about trail conditions in GA.

hikerhostel.com

MkBibble
10-07-2010, 19:00
Just did Woody to Standing Indian last week. I didn't check all the listed water locations, but the only place I stopped for water and found none was the campsite at (I think) Blueridge Gap. I know it was the last campsite I came to before crossing in to NC. I was mostly dry when I got to Bly Gap. The water at Deep Gap shalter was very slow - just a trickle, but I think that's fairly normal for that source.

I know that both of those are north of your planned trip. I didn't personally have any problems between Woody and Unicoi, and it rained a LOT while I was there. I doubt you will have any issues.

Dances with Mice
10-07-2010, 20:02
Looking for some trail info, Unicoi south to Woody Gap. Looks like water is ample, is this accurate, any high lights we should know about? Thanks for sharing your info. scrapes

Heading there next week.If you have time, when you get to Hogpen Gap, there's a short climb back to the ridge. At the ridgeline will be a blue blaze left towards Whitley Gap shelter. Drop packs there if you want and take the shelter trail about a half mile to a great open rock face lookout. Great view from there. Din't miss it if the weather's clear.

phobos
10-08-2010, 22:31
I'll be doing this exact tract but NOBO in two weeks, very interested as well :D

Scrapes
10-08-2010, 23:07
I will do a summary when I get back.

johnsiii
10-10-2010, 23:04
I just walked from Hogpen gap to Neels gap last Monday. Didnt pass any water in that section that I saw. Did pass a number of nice campsites in that section though. Nice views from the top of cowrock mountain and there's a nice tent site there as well as several other tent sites near there.

Scrapes
10-15-2010, 10:12
We left Unicoi on Monday on 10/11. We decided to carry our water from the get go cause of conflicting reports. The initial climb sobo, up Blue Mountain, was a heart pounder. We managed the climb nicely, with some heart recovery stops. Thankfully it does.

The shelter was found in good shape, and some water was found on the sobo side of the shelter, not flowing but there. The trail was in great shape. The next water we came across was just before Low Gap,
N34 46.760 W83 49.322.

We hit this gap with about 9 miles done but at 330, to early to quit, so we figured we'd hit a camp site in another mile or two. NO! The first site we hit was at mile 13, FYI. Tired we set camp with a young couple from Fla.
On the sobo side of Poor Mtn near White Oak Stamp.

The next water was in the AM at Hogpen Gap, N34 43.497 W83 50.496 . There is a stream there with a flow, skip the first pool, go to the right and there is more of a flow. We loaded up there, 2 Nalgenes, and bladders. All the nobos told us to. Good advice, there was none, except for the sideways rain and hail on the climb up Levelland Mtn. HAIL.

Neels Gap, water of course at MC.

Left MC, full, and headed up Blood Mtn, what a great place. The next water we hit was a stream at Dan Gap, N34 42.423 W83 59.115, (I think). There were built up tent platforms for a number of sites and a stream. I think it was Dan Gap.

There are some seepage spots along the way, but I'd say it was fairly dry. There were spots where there would be streams flowing but not on this day. Its manageable. Good luck.

phobos
10-15-2010, 16:21
We left Unicoi on Monday on 10/11. We decided to carry our water from the get go cause of conflicting reports. The initial climb sobo, up Blue Mountain, was a heart pounder. We managed the climb nicely, with some heart recovery stops. Thankfully it does.

The shelter was found in good shape, and some water was found on the sobo side of the shelter, not flowing but there. The trail was in great shape. The next water we came across was just before Low Gap,
N34 46.760 W83 49.322.

We hit this gap with about 9 miles done but at 330, to early to quit, so we figured we'd hit a camp site in another mile or two. NO! The first site we hit was at mile 13, FYI. Tired we set camp with a young couple from Fla.
On the sobo side of Poor Mtn near White Oak Stamp.

The next water was in the AM at Hogpen Gap, N34 43.497 W83 50.496 . There is a stream there with a flow, skip the first pool, go to the right and there is more of a flow. We loaded up there, 2 Nalgenes, and bladders. All the nobos told us to. Good advice, there was none, except for the sideways rain and hail on the climb up Levelland Mtn. HAIL.

Neels Gap, water of course at MC.

Left MC, full, and headed up Blood Mtn, what a great place. The next water we hit was a stream at Dan Gap, N34 42.423 W83 59.115, (I think). There were built up tent platforms for a number of sites and a stream. I think it was Dan Gap.

There are some seepage spots along the way, but I'd say it was fairly dry. There were spots where there would be streams flowing but not on this day. Its manageable. Good luck.

Thanks Scrapes, I'm headed out next Friday going NOBO

phobos
10-25-2010, 08:43
Had a great 3 day. Had no real issues with water (Woody to Uncoi). It is pretty dry from neels to hogpen, so make sure you fill up at Mountain Crossing. I saw and used the small pool of water before you go up Blood Mtn. Water seemed plentiful from Low Gap to Uncoi. This added rainfall today should help in some of the other areas that are dry i'm sure.

** SIDE NOTE**

When coming down Blue Mtn yesterday morning I noticed freshly cut trees (small trees, 5-7 inch in diameter) that had the bark skinned off them. There was several different piles of logs that had this done and neon pink flag markers by them. Any clue to what this was done for? Just curious :D

generoll
10-25-2010, 09:54
raining now as I type this.