PDA

View Full Version : new backpack

jabber
10-02-2010, 12:22
Hey guys! I'm new to the forum here (not to the AT) as of the present I've only done day hikes on the trail. Next year I'm going to start doing some week long hikes on the AT, and I'm in the market for a suitable pack.
I use a Osprey daypack now (Manta 25) and it is really comfortable & seems to be very well made ( plus, I like the 3L bladder). I'm leaning towards getting another Osprey for my longer hikes but, I'm really not sure which one.
I'm thinking I need something pretty light (I'm 6'1" & 165lbs) and I really don't plan on packing very heavy. I'm not 100% set on a Osprey though and welcome any and all suggestions. there are so many options it has my head spinning. So fire away & tell me what you think!

Jab.

Raul Perez
10-02-2010, 13:24
check out:

REI Flash series

or

ULA... www.ula-equipment.com (http://www.ula-equipment.com)

Luddite
10-02-2010, 13:33
ULA... www.ula-equipment.com (http://www.ula-equipment.com)

Definitely check out ULA packs. I have a ULA OHM and love it.

Torch09
10-02-2010, 14:11
Osprey atmos 50 has served me well on the trail. I also have the talon 44 (getting progressively lighter and smaller with my gear) but i have yet to trail test it. As you can tell, i love osprey packs. The only issue i have with them is all the extra weight added by unnecessary features. I generally remedy this problem with a pair of scissors. Gear customization is one of my hobbies, though. For a simple, no frills pack, i'll agree with Luddite. I've only heard great things about ULA packs and hope to get one myself soon.

WhoDey
10-02-2010, 21:19
Osprey makes very good packs. The Exos series is favorite among many people. Gregory makes some good packs as well. I personally use a Deuter ACT Lite and I love it. Whatever pack you get you need to make sure it fits right. You should go to a reputable retailer and load up some packs with weight and walk around the store. There should be no uncomfortable spots. My goal is to lighten up enough to be able to purchase a ULA pack because everybody swears by them.

bigcranky
10-02-2010, 21:22
Osprey makes good packs, just find something that fits well and carries all your stuff. Exos series is good, as is Aether series, even the larger Kestrel is good.

Danielsen
10-02-2010, 22:12
Osprey certainly makes nice packs, but I've got to echo WhoDey on checking the fit. I really, really wanted to make an osprey my next pack when it was time to buy one last winter. I tried them on and discovered that the shoulder straps are too close together for me, and would rub the sides of my neck raw after a couple miles. I ended up with a Granite Gear that served the purpose well. Now I use a $30 Outdoor Products pack from wal-mart because I tried it on on a whim and the fit was perfect. Probably won't be for most others, though. Find what feels best on your body.

Wags
10-03-2010, 11:43
i use the osprey exos 58 and find it everything i want in a pack...

jabber
10-03-2010, 12:20
Thanks for all the info so far guys! It is VERY helpful. I've got a lot more options than I thought at the begining. I'm now considering all new packs & have my homework cut out for me. I welcome all thoughts on the matter.

thx again,
Jab.

Rocketman
10-03-2010, 17:11
Thanks for all the info so far guys! It is VERY helpful. I've got a lot more options than I thought at the begining. I'm now considering all new packs & have my homework cut out for me. I welcome all thoughts on the matter.

thx again,
Jab.

One of the most common pieces of advice is to buy the pack AFTER you have all your equipment, so it is big enough for what you want to carry.

However, you can buy the pack first and then learn to buy just enough equipment and the right equipment to fit into it. Or figure out how to hang some kind of extra pockets and/or straps to the outside.

I'd go with buying the pack last, unless you don't mind to have more than one pack.

Since I was intent on getting my pack weight down, I must confess that I once bought a pack because it was both highly rated for AT hiking and smaller than what I was using. I used the limited volume to throw out unneeded equipment and buy more compact stuff if I still wanted it.

It worked.

Now, as I am older, I need to repeat the weight trimming process once again.

I'm not wealthy, but since I like one month trips, I am very willing to spend money for comfort, safety and light loads.

Mongoose2
10-03-2010, 19:04
Not sure where in Georgia you are, but if you're close enough you should head up to Mountain Crossings for a fitting. They really do a great job!

rodonne1
10-08-2010, 22:07
Welcome to WB.net!

jabber
10-14-2010, 18:02
Thanks for all the input guys, I ended up with a kestrel 58. Im still getting use to getting it adjusted properly and finding the most efficient way to pack it.

Jab.

Maddog
10-14-2010, 18:35
Definitely check out ULA packs. I have a ULA OHM and love it. i have a catalyst and a circuit and love them as well!

Lyle
10-14-2010, 19:34
I'll chime in for ULA. Been using a P2 for many years now, no complaints at all except it's kinda big. Have a Conduit now that I plan to morph into.

burntoutphilosopher
10-14-2010, 21:41
+1 ULA, no not because i want to bump my post count ...
... because they are made in the USA by an actual hiker who understand what features we want.