PDA

View Full Version : BackYard Camping: Gear Reviews

STICK
10-02-2010, 14:31
So, with our recent move, and my bad luck stroke, I haven't been able to get out much for hiking / backpacking. Part of the reason I was excited about moving here was because of the huge yard, and the many opportunities it would give me (and my family) for backyard camping (taking call cuts out a lot of our weekends and forces us to stay home). Also, my week long backpacking trip is (finally) coming up very soon, so I thought I would go ahead and drag some of the stuff out and use it again last night.

The great thing about last night is that the temperatures are finally cool / coldish. No more 80* + nights! So, I actually got to use some of my gear closer to limits it is rated at. So, I posted a write up of a few pieces of gear I used as well as a little tale of the night with some pics on my blog. If you are interested, it can be seen here:

http://stick13.wordpress.com/2010/10/02/backyard-camping-gear-reviews/#more-1131

SMSP
10-02-2010, 16:27
Nice write up and what a great time to have with your kids. So let me get this right, you just moved to a new home and shortly after moving, you decide the sleep in the backyard! Hey, I can relate. Only crazy hikers and backpackers would do such a thing. Looking forward to your post trip report.

SMSP

STICK
10-02-2010, 20:29
We had a fun time. Just sat up and talked. Those are the moments...

And yep, when we were looking for another house the yard was a huge factor (even though we are just renting)! At the apartments we lived in we had one spot to set up a "shelter" and if we did we had better hoped it did not rain... That one flat spot is the spot all the water ran off into so it filled up quick like. So, I did not get to set my tents up much to actually use over night. This was a bummer. My wife and I both take call (a lot of call) and it is pretty rare for both of us to actually be off of work and call, and be able to go anywhere together, especially for a night and heaven forbid, two...

So, yeah. I moved in here and then decided to sleep outside, and it was awesome!

:)

JAK
10-02-2010, 21:09
I have a tree in the backyard I've been sleeping under. It is a fir of some kind with really low branches and I've cut some out to make some room. It is into a hill so I am going to try and build a sort of sleepind cot sideways-to. I have an old plastic lounger under there now dug into hole on the hill side and propped up on the other side. It is ok but I want a more primitive rustic look. I have some brush from some trimming so I am going to add some walls for winter. Maybe do something about the leaky roof but its not that bad really. Thinking about a small stove built into the hill. Maybe something for catching rainwater. It would be nice also if I didn't have to keep lugging all my stuff back into the house, so maybe a small trunk of some kind, dug partway into the hill also. When winter comes I am going to see what I can do just with wool blankets and cat-tails, and maybe just oilcloth rather than nylon. Maybe a no plastic rule. I need to keep it simple though. The main thing is to get out there anyway, plastic or no plastic.

Wise Old Owl
10-02-2010, 21:12
Excellent job with pitch and trekkin poles!

SMSP
10-02-2010, 21:40
I set-up my tents from time to time in the backyard and frontyard. I made a basic fire ring in the backyard last year and have had many a good fires right in my backyard. I used to have two perfectly placed trees in the front side yard, but I cut the pine tree down after Katrina. Since then, I have planted 2 Red Oak tress in the back yard. I planted them strategically for hammock hanging. It'll be 4-6 more years before I can use them though. Backyard camping, nothing wrong with that!

SMSP

Danielsen
10-02-2010, 22:26
Backyard camping is great. :D I started sleeping outside after discovering mold in our new home that provided an explanation for why I felt as if I had suddenly developed asthma. I started sleeping outside to clear my lungs and I haven't moved back in since. Most nights I stay under the porch awning but I've been prototyping I shelter I plan to build... so I'm out on the actual yard more often when it's raining than when it's not. ;)

tuswm
10-06-2010, 00:33
I live at the beach all summer with my backpacking/ surfing buddy. He spent every night in his hammock on our second floor balcony. Did not come inside till one earl.

Just Plain Jim
10-06-2010, 11:27
I've tented in the back yard several times, but never with a pumpkin to protect me. I may just try that next time. :)

STICK
10-06-2010, 21:49
Haha... she had to have it. I had to make her leave it outside her bag though! Shre wanted to sleep with it inside her sleeping bag! Too cute...

LIhikers
10-06-2010, 23:31
My wife and I have set up our tent in the backyard often. We do it when we wish we could get out hiking but can't. Sure it's not the same, but at least we spend a night in the fresh air.