PDA

View Full Version : The Great Divide Trail

chris
12-04-2004, 19:48
Ok, my Great Divide Trail pages are now complete. Head over to

http://www.pierce.ctc.edu/faculty/cwillett

for a looksee at one of the best long trails in the world. Or, rather, long routes in the world as you'll find no blazes to guide you. I saw only a single GDT sign, and that was one that proclaimed that I was at the end of the trail. I kept on hiking north. A great feature of the GDT is that you do not have to abandon your life to thruhike it. My route covered about 650 miles over the course of a month or so, including 4 zero days. There is so much daylight up north that long days are easier than one might think.

For those of you without much experience in long distance hiking, a different trail might be better for the first experience. Be warned that there is little structure to the trail, and absolutely none of the good trail culture that we all like so much: No trail towns like Hot Springs or Duncannon, no Miss Janet, no coolers by the road on a hot day, no hiker gatherings. While the hiking window is short, the trail is of such a length that there doesn't have to be any race against winter. You can start when the weather is good in the beginning of July and be done while it is still good in August.

If there are any questions about the GDT, I'd be happy to answer them. Planning, logistics, permmits, etc, are all easier than you might think, and you don't need to be a route finding whiz to hike the trail. You just need a little spirit of adventure and a month or so of free time. Or, if you just want two weeks or so of trail time, there are some spectacular sections where you don't even have to worry about route finding, and the hiking is easy and the land sublime.

mdionne
12-04-2004, 20:10
[QUOTE=chris]

If there are any questions about the GDT, I'd be happy to answer them. QUOTE]

You never answered the question I asked on your last GDT post. What's the highest point?

A-Train
12-04-2004, 20:12
Thanks for sharing as always. Great to see something that isn't the AT, PCT, LT etc.. Your ending journals are great and your evaluation of the "real" world and other world really hit home for me. You get it. Unfortunately most don't. Keep doing your thing, you've got a good way with words.

tlbj6142
12-05-2004, 11:10
Could you please re-hike the PCT using slide film? The pictures on the GDT are truely amazing. I'd love to see your PCT photos with such quality.

Bolo
12-05-2004, 11:20
Thanks, Chris, for taking me to a part of this beautiful county I'll probably never visit. The photos are spectacular and your journaling made me feel as if I was walking beside you.
Everyone here should take the time to read.

Bolo

chris
12-05-2004, 13:22
[QUOTE=chris]

If there are any questions about the GDT, I'd be happy to answer them. QUOTE]

You never answered the question I asked on your last GDT post. What's the highest point?

Sorry, must have missed that one. The highest point that I got to was on Lineham ridge (in Waterton, on second day) and that was 2656 meters, or around 8700 feet. There is a higher point north of Jasper, on the way to the Willmore, that tops out a few meters higher, but I didn't go there as I didn't go to Kakwa.

chris
12-05-2004, 13:24
Could you please re-hike the PCT using slide film? The pictures on the GDT are truely amazing. I'd love to see your PCT photos with such quality.

Ha! I'd also like to see my PCT pictures on slide film. On one of the most painful things for me is to look at one of my blurry, washed out photos, yet remember how awesome the real thing actually was. No more crappy print film. Digital or slide or nothing else.

chris
12-05-2004, 13:27
Thanks to everyone for the kind comments. They do mean something to me, especially as I write this from an office with no windows, about seven months from the start of summer. But, in a week I'll be leaving for a brief injection (two weeks) of the real world in Death Valley. I'll put up a mini website when I get back.