PDA

View Full Version : Questions about PA

Megapixel
10-03-2010, 11:01
I have two questions after reading over my guidebooks of the PA area:

Are there plenty of stealth campsites in the northern end where all the rocks are? Seems to me it would be difficult to pitch a tent along that section of the trail, and some of the shelters are spaced pretty far apart, not to mention that one or two shelters allow no tenting at all.

Also, Lickdale, PA., mm 1172.5. It appears that the only access is Interstate 81. You can't possibly hitch a ride 2.1 miles from an interstate, so how do u access services there?

thanks for your help!

Namaste
10-03-2010, 11:12
Regarding stealth sites there are plenty between Little Gap and DWG.

Spirit Walker
10-03-2010, 11:18
By the time you get to PA on a thruhike, you will probably be able to hike 20 mile days quite easily. In any case, you will be able to find a campsite when you need one - the rocks are not continuous in PA, they are intermittent, even up north.

As to resupply - 2 miles is an easy walk; if you really need food, you could walk to town. Otherwise, you can get food when you are in Duncannon and again in Port Clinton or Hamburg.

Megapixel
10-03-2010, 11:22
By the time you get to PA on a thruhike, you will probably be able to hike 20 mile days quite easily. In any case, you will be able to find a campsite when you need one - the rocks are not continuous in PA, they are intermittent, even up north.

As to resupply - 2 miles is an easy walk; if you really need food, you could walk to town. Otherwise, you can get food when you are in Duncannon and again in Port Clinton or Hamburg.

WE are actually starting our thru from Harpers, so not much experience with long mile days when we hit PA... thanks for the heads up on the campsites though. Very good to know.

Agreed. 2 miles is no problem, but there must be another road there at the trail crossing besides an Interstate as you can't really walk on Interstate shoulders. The guidebook only says I-81.

Pedaling Fool
10-03-2010, 11:43
Agreed. 2 miles is no problem, but there must be another road there at the trail crossing besides an Interstate as you can't really walk on Interstate shoulders. The guidebook only says I-81.
I don't remember off hand, but I always verify with my map on questions like that. From my map it looks like the AT crosses PA443 a little north of I-81. It also seems to cross an old RR bed, both of which lead to Lickdale.

My 2006 guide doesn't mention Lickdale, but my map does say it has some services.

Pedaling Fool
10-03-2010, 11:46
I also just noticed that the AT crosses PA443 twice, better off taking the second crossing and head the the right (this statement applies only if you're a northbounder).

Pedaling Fool
10-03-2010, 11:52
I also just noticed that the AT crosses PA443 twice, better off taking the second crossing and head the the right (this statement applies only if you're a northbounder).
Disregard that, just look at your map. I just noticed that it crosses three times and if you follow the above directions you're screwed.

emerald
10-03-2010, 14:33
Last time I was there, PA72 was still passable by automobile all the way to PA443 pretty much as indicated on KTA's map for Section 7.

10-K
10-03-2010, 14:44
Also, Lickdale, PA., mm 1172.5. It appears that the only access is Interstate 81. You can't possibly hitch a ride 2.1 miles from an interstate, so how do u access services there?

thanks for your help!

Ah Lickdale... I tell everyone who will listen about Lickdale. Everything you'd ever want and an easy 2 miles from the trail. I hitched in an out pretty quickly too.

You'll come to an iron bridge. There is/was a sign that points to Lickdale and says it's 2 miles away. You an walk down the side of the road, which is a little hairy, or you can take a wide trail that runs down the hill that the bridge goes over - I can't remember if the bridge goes over water or just spans a gap. The trail parallels the road and then goes off to the left - don't worry, it comes out at the campground/general store in Lickdale. I hopped back up on the road when the trail veered off because I didn't know where it went and found out later it did indeed go directly to Lickdale.

ki0eh
10-03-2010, 16:42
Earlier thread (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=35041) about Lickdale with many answers.

Pedaling Fool
10-03-2010, 16:47
Last time I was there, PA72 was still passable by automobile all the way to PA443 pretty much as indicated on KTA's map for Section 7.
That's the map I was using and it did seem that PA72 was the actual road to Lickdale after I rechecked it. Nothing worse than trying to explain all the routes and stuff on a map to someone, best they just look at it themselves.

Also what confused me was that the map shows the AT crossing PA443 about 3 times (plus some other roads) between Raush Gap and Swatara Gap, but the 2010 online companion only mentions crossing it once. So I decided to shut the hell up after my 3rd screwed up post :D :o.

Megapixel
10-03-2010, 17:20
lots of help all. thanks so much!

emerald
10-03-2010, 17:31
I can't remember if the bridge goes over water or just spans a gap.

The Waterville Bridge was moved there so the Appalachian Trail might cross Swatara Creek at that point. Had you forded it, I'm sure you would not have forgotten.

Toolshed
10-03-2010, 21:05
The Waterville Bridge was moved there so the Appalachian Trail might cross Swatara Creek at that point. Had you forded it, I'm sure you would not have forgotten.

That is the old lenticular bridge out of Pine Creek from somewhere near Tioga County, if I recall.... here is a nice link (http://www.joellenlitz.com/7_wonders_of_lebanon_county.htm)

and another of lenticular (http://www.past-inc.org/bibco/truss.htm) history...

emerald
10-03-2010, 23:39
Go here (http://bridgehunter.com/pa/lebanon/waterville/) for images of the bridge. Note also PA72 on the Google map.

slugger
10-04-2010, 01:23
Just got back today with that as my end point. You go under i81 and cross the bridge as everyone has said and you hit 72. 72 looks like you wouldn't have trouble hitching on either.

As for camping I have done DWG to rt 72 almost all this year and there is tons of camping sites along the trail.

ki0eh
10-04-2010, 08:39
That is the old lenticular bridge out of Pine Creek from somewhere near Tioga County, if I recall.... here is a nice link (http://www.joellenlitz.com/7_wonders_of_lebanon_county.htm)

and another of lenticular (http://www.past-inc.org/bibco/truss.htm) history...

Lycoming County. I often wonder if the bridge thinks that being exiled to cross the Swattie is a letdown. :D