PDA

View Full Version : Question for Garmin Vista Hcx owners

10-K
10-03-2010, 16:20
Do any of you use the Nat Geo software with your Vista Hcx?

From reading the Nat Geo forums and the Garmin support files I understand that the Vista will import Nat Geo waypoints and routes but will not import the Nat Geo maps.

So, what does this mean - does it overlay the Nat Geo waypoints and routes over the Garmin supplied basemap or does it just display the wp's and routes against a black screen with no map.

If I buy the Garmin Topo maps - would it then overlay the Nat Geo routes and waypoints over the Garmin topos?

Sorry if these are crazy questions - the only thing I can do with my current, old Explorist 210 GPS is mark my location and go back to it.

russb
10-03-2010, 16:46
Your first guess was the correct one. Btw, instead of using the basemap, I d-loaded the NY topos for my garmin from here... http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/111/

They prolly have other states too, I just didn't look.

SassyWindsor
10-04-2010, 02:45
Always carry a compass to backup the electronic one on the Vista. I've got an older Vista and the compass went dead on a big trip several years back. I just reverted to the compass page on the GPS and used the handheld one to keep on track when standing still. In other words, it keeps you from zig-zagging in making the GPS track. I now have the Legend HCx, only difference from the Vista is no compass and barometer and about $40 saved. I really like the HCx unit and using the 4gb cards to load my metro-guide and topo usa sw's.

10-K
10-04-2010, 06:24
Oh definitely - compass and a map are always on board.

WI_Mike
01-10-2011, 13:49
10-K,

I'm new to the forum but from what I've been able to tell Garmin's maps are the only ones that work on the handheld device. And there are 3 ways you can buy Garmin's maps - on an SD card, on a DVD and as a download. I still don't get the details of the pros and cons of each. But so far it appears that the maps you buy on an SD card cannot be used with Garmin's Mapsource software. Don't understand why. Garmin also has some software called Basecamp and supposedly you can load the maps off your GPS (i.e., off your SD card) into Basecamp and view them that way. Well that didn't work for me either. I finally put it into USB storage mode which seemed to trigger a long load process in Basecamp but when it was all done I still was not seeing any topography or roads from my maps, just waypoints like places to eat, etc... So I hope that helps a little. If you want I can post as I figure more out, or if anyone knows more please post. Really do like the device but it seems Garmin is somewhat stingy with maps and apparently you have to shell out a bit more if you want them to be fully functional on your PC as well.

I don't know much about National Geo maps other than they seem to be cheaper maybe than Garmin's, but as you say I don't know about how the functionality when trying to use Nat. Geo maps with your handheld and in any case I don't think you can actually LOAD the Nat. Geo maps onto your Garmin GPS unit.

Do any of you use the Nat Geo software with your Vista Hcx?

From reading the Nat Geo forums and the Garmin support files I understand that the Vista will import Nat Geo waypoints and routes but will not import the Nat Geo maps.

So, what does this mean - does it overlay the Nat Geo waypoints and routes over the Garmin supplied basemap or does it just display the wp's and routes against a black screen with no map.

If I buy the Garmin Topo maps - would it then overlay the Nat Geo routes and waypoints over the Garmin topos?

Sorry if these are crazy questions - the only thing I can do with my current, old Explorist 210 GPS is mark my location and go back to it.

10-K
01-10-2011, 17:54
Mike - I found a free solution for topo maps... I downloaded NC/TN topos from gpsfiledepot.com and loaded them onto a blank micro-SD card in my Garmin.

Then, I made sure that the GPS was configured to show both maps - this way trails that run through both TN and NC would have topo information.

Then in my Nat Geo software I created routes for the trails I want to hike and uploaded them to the GPS.

Now when I turn on my GPS I have the trails displayed on top of the topo map.

Perfect. And it works - I've already took it out on a hike and was able to follow the route from waypoint to waypoint without a hitch.

leaftye
01-10-2011, 18:00
You might also want to download a map from Openstreetmap. Well, at least in a easy to upload version: http://garmin.na1400.info/routable.php

It doesn't have elevation lines, but it has lots of other useful information. Of course the street info is pretty good, and I like that it can do street routing...useful in town, or for getting to/from the trailhead.

WI_Mike
01-10-2011, 18:05
Yeah after I replied here I read your posts in the other thread. I wish I had looked a little more before I bought the Garmin maps. I think I looked at that site but only looked at the most popular maps on the front page which didn't show Wisconsin so I missed it. Looks like you can indeed get free topo maps of WI from that site but it looks like there is some information the free maps lack that the Garmin ones have. I'll have to download them and try it some time on a different miniSD Card.

I haven't experimented really at all with routes. I know how to mark waypoints and create your own, and how to save a track log, etc... But haven't done anything with routes. According to what I read, routes are essentially a bunch of waypoints - so I'm not sure what the big difference is.

But I've used it more to avoid getting lost in areas where there is no trail per se, just old logging roads, so I haven't had occasion to try it for that purpose yet.

Also the Garmin maps seem to have businesses and other stuff like that as well like McDonald's, gas stations, etc... Unclear whether the free maps would have that, but I am guessing not.

leaftye
01-10-2011, 18:18
Also the Garmin maps seem to have businesses and other stuff like that as well like McDonald's, gas stations, etc... Unclear whether the free maps would have that, but I am guessing not.

I guess it depends on what you compare. My old Garmin 100k topo maps show less (none) than the Openstreetmap. The free Openstreetmap has some restaurants and gas stations. The beauty of it is that you can add more. Don't ask me how, but it's possible. Adding that info could make it much more useful for trail towns. I have no idea about Garmin's city/street maps.

Here's the thing though. If you have lots of storage space, it may not hurt to add the free street map.

WI_Mike
01-10-2011, 18:25
Can you have 2 maps of the same area at the same time? My Garmin 24k maps show all streets already in addition to the topography.

leaftye
01-10-2011, 18:27
I know on the Oregon 550 you can. I don't see why the Vista HCX would be different. I've had at least half a dozen maps on at the same time before. Usually 2 is enough though.

leaftye
01-10-2011, 18:27
Do your Garmin 24k maps show street names and are they routable?

WI_Mike
01-10-2011, 18:28
Oh and by the way. Interestingly... this summer I went to Isle Royale and brought my GPS. As I walked along the trail with the basemap it said that I was basically hiking in what would be Lake Superior. In looking again it looked like with the 24k maps I got (which include Michigan) it now showed Isle Royale in the "correct" place. But makes you wonder how much else of the basemap is way off or if it was just Isle Royale because, well, it's Isle Royale.

WI_Mike
01-10-2011, 18:29
Yes they show street names, river names, even names of creeks, etc... I think the streets are routable but haven't tried it yet. Can try tonight.

WI_Mike
01-11-2011, 13:27
To answer your question, I think, yes it does turn by turn directions on streets.

Do your Garmin 24k maps show street names and are they routable?