PDA

View Full Version : How big a pot for Packit Gourmet?

Khike
10-03-2010, 21:41
Hey Folks, I have been reading about PackitGourmet and I actually have some meals I got a few weeks ago. I am afraid to take them with me because of the pot size needed. I have the MSR titanium pot that the fuel canister fits in-about 3 cups I reckon. I see the Snowpeak 900 and the 1400. I can't find info on how many ounces each hold. I have been eating MH meals and have no complaints-love them, but I would like to expand, you know, walk the line, stand on the edge, live on the wild side! I was wondering how big a pot I need to go to for the 2 person meals. Anyone with a thought on that subject out there, I would appreciate any advice. Thanks, Kevin

Quantum Force
10-03-2010, 23:45
the snow peak trek 900 is 30 fl. oz. and the 1400 is 47 fl. oz.

Khike
10-04-2010, 07:14
Hey QF, I read that as well somewheres but... The MSR site says mine little tin is 28.7 ounces and the 900 looks a lot bigger side by side. Maybe I'll do the volume of a cylinder equation on all three. Thanks, Kevin PS packing-unpacking,packing-unpacking,packing-unpacking, for my upcoming trip. You know!!! kk

Khike
10-04-2010, 07:28
Doing the volume of a cylinder on each of the 900 and 1400 I came up with approximately... 41oz for the 900 and 59 ounces for the 1400. The MSR Titan is 28 ounces. This hiking stuff makes me do weird things...weighing and calculating. Need to go frigging hiking. kk

Hooch
10-04-2010, 07:39
. . . .Maybe I'll do the volume of a cylinder equation on all three. . . .No need for fancy math. Milliliters divided by 30 equals ounces, since there are 30 ml in a fluid ounce.

barefoot
10-04-2010, 09:12
I've been using Packit Gourmet for the past year and love it! Beats Mountain House any day. I also have not used a pot in a year!! All of their meals can be made in the cook bags that they come it.

Khike
10-04-2010, 19:07
What size pot do you use, my good man? Kevin

HeartFire
10-04-2010, 20:00
have you looked at the ingredients in Packit gourmet? They are full of GMO products, high fructose corn syrup, dyes, and lots of bad for you things.!

why can't more companies make wholesome backpacking food?

Rocket Jones
10-05-2010, 07:29
have you looked at the ingredients in Packit gourmet? They are full of GMO products, high fructose corn syrup, dyes, and lots of bad for you things.!

why can't more companies make wholesome backpacking food?

Because it's not profitable. If it were cheaper to use "real" ingredients, then they would use them. For most people, price is more important than healthier food.

That said, I'm not against a company making a profit. That's what the purpose of a company or corporation is. It's up to the consumer to make good choices, including DIY if what's available doesn't meet their standards.

Khike
10-14-2011, 17:16
Hey All! Was looking for food ideas and came across this thread I started a year ago. Well, it's time for the annual Autumn hike and I am doing Packit Gourmet again. Actually did cook in bag last year. To answer my own question...This year bought a Snowpeak 1400 titanium pot with lid and am going to prepare my meals. I think will be a little better that way. Cook the food a little instead of just soaking it. Got my Sirichi hot sauce and I am good to go. Doing a slow hike this year, to relax. Got some precooked BACON!!! Gonna be nice! Good hiking! :sunKevin

Rasty
10-14-2011, 19:14
33.5 ounces = 1 liter

Odd Man Out
10-14-2011, 19:58
Even less math: In Google type "900 mL in oz"

But here is a real question. When a pot says "900 mL", it that filled to the very top? If so, the useable volume is somewhat less. Or is 900 the useable volume?

Also, just in case it comes up, there are 2 firkins in a kilderkin and 12 slugs in a slinch.

Khike
10-15-2011, 08:47
I thought there were 3 firkins in a kelderkin? Of course, yes, there are 12 slugs in a slinch! What about a divit?

Odd Man Out
10-15-2011, 14:49
What about a divit?

About 98 divits per 18 holes, at least when I play golf.

Bucherm
11-01-2011, 05:48
Like Barefoot, I just use the bag they come with for cooking.

Khike
11-10-2011, 19:24
Went hiking, that is. NOC to Fontana Dam and then from 40 north to Hot Springs. The Packit Gourmet for two was "for two". I eat a lot and I couldn't finish them -much to the joy of my partner. Gonna get singles next time. Doubles were heavy as well. Very tasty, the tuscan stew, bangers and mashed, texas chili was real nice with cheese and fritos to top it with. I cooked them in the Snowpeak 1400. Cooked the main dish in the pot, did the polenta in the bag, boy was that good. Couldn't finish it though. But, overall, instead of getting lighter I got a lot heavier. So, back to the msr kettle and single servings. But, it was a great experiment. Kevin