PDA

View Full Version : Anyone avoid shelters, hostels, and hotels

TheYoungOne
10-03-2010, 23:22
Maybe I long to be out west, where there is large open lands, and when you go hiking into the wilderness, find a spot to camp, and you wake up almost alone with no one around.

I'm on the east coast, so unless you want to camp in some campground in a plot that is smaller and less wooded than my backyard, the AT is the way to go.

However I see some folks prefer to use the shelters. Thru hikers regularly staying in hotels, and hostels. Is waking up in a bed, and taking a shower every 4th day really roughing it on the trail?

Anyone prefer to sleep outside? In a tent, hamock, or tarp. Has anyone done a thruhike and has completely avoided shelters, hostels, and hotels?

IronGutsTommy
10-03-2010, 23:35
Im just about to embark on my thru hike, but i see what you mean. i think starting out in a motel makes getting an early start on the trail nearly impossible. I plan on using my tent mostly, frequenting shelters only for the sign in books and the stories, history and mystique surrounding a number of them. Plan to hike six days and take the seventh day off. I figure even God rested on the 7th day. So on occasion, I may try to start the sixth day early enough where I can get a hostel or motel that night, resupply in the morning, and hike just a few miles on the zero day to get to a spot on the trail I can set up camp, enjoy a long evening by a campfire, and be able to wake up on the trail bright and early to go at it again. Although I plan to stick to my 6 on 1 off schedule, I probably wont go the hostel/motel route buy maybe twice a month.

double d
10-03-2010, 23:43
Its a big trail, it someone likes to hike into town every fourth day, thats their enjoyment. If someone doesn't and they like to stay out longer between town stops, its all good as well. Its "fun" to look forward to hiking up a peak in the morning, camping on the backside in/near a shelter in the late afternoon, talk to folks at the shelter you've never meet before and then in the morning, hike onward for the next day.

IronGutsTommy
10-03-2010, 23:48
yeah definitely on my nobo, i plan to smell the roses a bit more, try to soak up as many personalities as I can, enjoy the people. My sobo will be quieter. besides my hiking partner itll be more nature inducing. damn cant wait

drifters quest
10-04-2010, 01:24
I definetely prefered my tent over any other sleeping option. However, when all your stuff is wet for days on end, your tent is leaking and it's raining outside; or your sick, a motel or hostel is a good way to get dry and help prepare to head out again. Plus packing everything up in the rain sucks. I did get sick of hostels and motels for the most part

SassyWindsor
10-04-2010, 02:12
If I get to the point I'd rather stay in a motel or hostel, I'll just go home. If I find I'd rather stay in a trail shelter than my tent, then I'd consider committing myself. I've stayed in all these places, but prefer my tent. To explain, I have stayed at a few hostels and motels, and one, maybe 2 trail shelters when friends I was hiking with wanted to or because of injury or sickness.
When camping, I stealth, I stay clear of shelters, trail-heads and heavily populated areas when I can.

Ender
10-04-2010, 06:59
There is no wrong way to hike the trail (assuming you aren't hurting anyone else, of course). If someone wants to hike into town every fourth day, there's nothing wrong with that. No one ever said you *have* to rough it on the trail.

Me, I generally prefer to stay in the woods, in a tent or hammock. But that's just me. I see nothing wrong at all with the people who choose to hike differently.

scope
10-04-2010, 08:33
Most of us do avoid shelters, except Lone Wolf.

fredmugs
10-04-2010, 10:12

You're just asking for it.

I avoid shelters like the plague to sleep in but I like to hammock near them mostly because I hike SOBO and I can get good intel from the NOBO hikers. Plus there's normally a water source and easier places to hang food.

After 1700+ miles I have spent maybe 5 nights in a shelter.

Tilly
10-04-2010, 10:39
I'm on the east coast, so unless you want to camp in some campground in a plot that is smaller and less wooded than my backyard, the AT is the way to go.

Hate to break it to you, but there are a plethora of trails in the eastern half of the country besides the AT. It's not the AT or nothing. That kind of attitude is ridiculous.

Skyline
10-04-2010, 10:43
In the eight years it took me to finish the AT section hiking, I only stayed in six shelters. Four of those were in the Smokies because I thought it was required. The other two were almost brand new at the time and no one else was there on those nights.

But the shelters serve a purpose many others believe to be valid, so I say HYOH. If no one stayed in AT shelters, I guess I'd be out of a (volunteer) job in SNP! ;)

You can make use of all the other amenities a shelter and the surrounding area provide, most of the time, and not actually sleep in a shelter. Just find or create a tentsite within a quarter mile or so. Many shelters have pre-existing or even designated tentsites nearby. You can still use the shelter's privy, water source, picnic table, bear pole or cable, and enjoy the comaraderie that sometimes exists there. You just don't have to sleep in what is sometimes a filthy wood or stone box with the snorers, farters, partiers and rodents. :banana

garlic08
10-04-2010, 11:00
I've met several hikers who never slept under a roof on their thru hikes. I respect that. Though I only stayed in a couple of (empty) shelters on my AT thru, I did enjoy a few motels when the cost was reasonable. I only took three zero days (to meet friends and family), so if you hike a sustainable pace, and (big if) you can eat and rest well on the trail, there's no need for regular town stops for physical recuperation. WeatherCarrot has an article on this site that details a way to avoid towns and motels, mainly as a way to save money.

weary
10-04-2010, 11:13
Shelters and hostels have been a part of trails forever. During the 17th and 18th and early 19th centuries it was common for houses in rural areas away from the settled towns to take in travelers. Simple shelters were commonly placed a days walk apart by hunters and trappers.

Three sided adirondack shelters were commonly used in New York for a century before the design was transplanted to the trail by maintaining clubs.

The value of shelters to the trail is that they lessen hiker sprawl. Without special places for hikers to congregate the trail would be one long string of fire places and campsites.

Skip the shelter areas if you wish. But don't replace it with hiker sprawl. Camp well off the trail and leave your site as wild or wilder than you found it.

Weary

4shot
10-04-2010, 11:19
It all depends on your goals and if you are referring to a section hike or a thru. If you want privacy & solitude in a wilderness setting, then perhaps there may be other trails that better meet your needs. On the AT, my preferred means of shelter was my tent but I also cowboy camped some and used hotels, hostels, and shelters (least preferred option) as circumstances dictated. If I got into town late I preferred not to hitch or walk back to the trail if it was late in the afternoon.I hiked with a guy who would go out of his way to stay in a shelter - others went the entire trip without sleeping in one.Not sure if I knew anyone who completely avoided the hotels or hostels on a thru but I'm sure its possible. Whatever you want to do bro' - it's all out there and it's like Burger King, you CAN have it your way on the trail. Happy hiking.

Moose2001
10-04-2010, 11:29
It's always interesting to hear, or read, statements from future hikers on what they will or won't do on the trail. Funny how the trail has a way of changing your mind on things. In any case, where you stay, how often you go into town, shower, resupply are your decisions. You do your thing. Allow others to do theirs.

Luddite
10-04-2010, 12:12
Believe me, sleeping in a AT shelter is still roughin' it.

warraghiyagey
10-04-2010, 12:15
It's always interesting to hear, or read, statements from future hikers on what they will or won't do on the trail. Funny how the trail has a way of changing your mind on things.
Well said. . . :)

bigcranky
10-04-2010, 12:19
Thru hikers regularly staying in hotels, and hostels. Is waking up in a bed, and taking a shower every 4th day really roughing it on the trail?

Don't judge other hikers until you have walked a few hundred miles in their boots.

Unlike many Western trails, the AT can be a very wet experience for days on end, making the occasional motel or hostel stay a good thing for drying gear and generally getting one's stuff together.

sbhikes
10-04-2010, 13:25
It's always interesting to hear, or read, statements from future hikers on what they will or won't do on the trail. Funny how the trail has a way of changing your mind on things.

That is so true. When I was a future aspiring PCT hiker I was so sure of so many things. I was sure it would be a totaly solitary wilderness experience but it wasn't. I was sure I'd avoid towns and hitchhiking but I didn't. Eventually I did very much come to prefer my tent to any kind of walls. I didn't make that choice out of some sense of what is more "wildernessy" or pure or noble or rugged or anything, but out of what was truly best for me.

Red Hat
10-04-2010, 15:29
It's always interesting to hear, or read, statements from future hikers on what they will or won't do on the trail. Funny how the trail has a way of changing your mind on things. In any case, where you stay, how often you go into town, shower, resupply are your decisions. You do your thing. Allow others to do theirs.

If anyone had told me that I'd be skipping some white blazes and spending lots of nights in hotels, I wouldn't have believed it. But the trail changes your mind a lot! Now I'm proud to be considered blue blazing hiker trash...

CowHead
10-04-2010, 15:39

He lives at one is what I heard LMAO

Appalachian Tater
10-04-2010, 18:00
Everyone should spend the night in one of the old baseball bat shelters in Maine.

warraghiyagey
10-04-2010, 18:03
Everyone should spend the night in one of the old baseball bat shelters in Maine.
Unless they don't want to. . . pretty much . . . . ;)

walkin' wally
10-04-2010, 18:21

..........bohica..........

jersey joe
10-05-2010, 09:45
One thing is for sure, avoiding hostels and hotels, and towns in general, is a good way to save money on your thru hike!

Lyle
10-05-2010, 10:04
Personally, most times I thoroughly enjoy shelters. You meet and make friends more easily if you spend the evening with the folks. I enjoy quick morning get-aways when about a third of your morning chores are unnecessary. While I tend to be more of a loner, I'm not necessarily shy, so eating, sleeping, changing in close quarters doesn't present any problems for me.

Totally a personal choice, so give them a try. If you enjoy the experience, great. If you prefer more privacy, great.

BAG "o" TRICKS
10-05-2010, 10:23
If anyone had told me that I'd be skipping some white blazes and spending lots of nights in hotels, I wouldn't have believed it. But the trail changes your mind a lot! Now I'm proud to be considered blue blazing hiker trash...

Yes you are, and you have the shirt to provve it;) It's good to get away from the trail for a day, it'll usually make you realize in 24 hours how much you miss being back on it.

BAG "o" TRICKS
10-05-2010, 10:33
Maybe I long to be out west, where there is large open lands, and when you go hiking into the wilderness, find a spot to camp, and you wake up almost alone with no one around.

Being from PA it sounds as if you've never been in the N/C region of the state. Check it out for yourself sometime, or e-mail me and I'll be glad to suggest some places to hike and camp where you 'won't' find anyone else around, unlike the AT on a nice weekends near big cities anymore.

weary
10-05-2010, 11:30
One thing is for sure, avoiding hostels and hotels, and towns in general, is a good way to save money on your thru hike!
There is a great deal of difference between hotels and hostels, a many dollar difference, ranging from a donation at some hostels, to $50 and up for hotels. You can both sleep and eat at even "expensive" hostels for $25 or $30.

A tent is cheaper. But only the cheapest tents provide a shower.

perrito
10-05-2010, 11:40
When I think of hostels, I worry about bedbugs, lice, etc. I really enjoy shelters in the sense that you get to hang out and bs with others on the trail. That's part of the experience for me. Of course, you don't have to stay in the shelter to hang out and such. I hope to be hammocking next spring but I'll hang near shelters most of the time when possible. Privies and bearboxes are nice to have. And using a hammock will give me limitless sites to choose from.

Blue Jay
10-05-2010, 11:50
When I think of hostels, I worry about bedbugs, lice, etc.

Just curious, was that before the recent Massive Bedbug Media Fear Blitz?

Luddite
10-05-2010, 12:03
[QUOTE=perrito;1056603]When I think of hostels, I worry about bedbugs, lice, etc. [QUOTE]

I have probably stayed in well over a hundred motels/hotels and I have never had a problem with bugs. Just bid cockroaches.

jersey joe
10-05-2010, 13:19
There is a great deal of difference between hotels and hostels, a many dollar difference, ranging from a donation at some hostels, to $50 and up for hotels. You can both sleep and eat at even "expensive" hostels for $25 or $30.

Savy hikers can group together and stay in a hotel room for a price comparable to that of a hostel(where you are usually grouped together also).

perrito
10-05-2010, 14:06
Just curious, was that before the recent Massive Bedbug Media Fear Blitz?
Hehehe, nah. One look at a not-so-clean hostel will have me running for the woods for my night's sleep.

A few friends of mine stayed in a number of refugios on a hike in the Pyrenees in Spain and were horrified at the filth.

The Solemates
10-05-2010, 17:05
i sometimes use shelters in the smokies in the winter. 90% of the time i have them by myself.

if its not winter, i'm in my tent.

Doctari
10-05-2010, 17:24

Stuff I have heard from Pre-Thrus in addition to "Ill never stay in a shelter (or hostel, etc)!":

"I'm going to do 16 (or 18 or 20) mile days from day ONE!" Some can, but most usually drop to about 7 or 8 / day the first few weeks at least.

"I'll Only take ONE rest day a month!"

"I'll follow (sometimes "and touch") every white blaze, NO MATTER WHAT!"

And, my all time favorite: "The stuff is in my pack is perfect! I won't change a thing / send anything home, EVER!" Yea, that's why the Yi ships TONS of stuff home every year. :rolleyes:

I did finally stop staying in shelters. Sometimes I stay near one, but often I'll push on a mile or two after eating dinner & socializing.

Namaste
10-05-2010, 17:29
I always wondered how many thru hikers totally avoid "civilization" while out on the trail for 5-7 months. I haven't thru hiked yet but I did hike the whole AT in Maine in rainy 2008 and used a tent every night. I never went into towns for anything (I had resupplies at crossroads every 5-6 days). I actually enjoyed the quick visit with my resupplier and getting mail but never longed to be taken into town for anything. It was great to know all I needed was minimal and I survived just fine. OK, I did have pancakes at Tim Harrison's over at Pierce Pond but that was SO worth it as a zero day. The thru hikers I met up with here and there were wonderful people and kept me apprised of worldly events, etc. but I guess I'm a purist at heart. Honestly I don't know if I could manage that for a thru hike which I plan to do one of these years.

weary
10-05-2010, 18:15
Savy hikers can group together and stay in a hotel room for a price comparable to that of a hostel(where you are usually grouped together also).
Sometimes sharing hotel and motel rooms is legal. Sometimes it's not. On my walk north, I preferred that no one steal from me -- and they didn't. I recipricated by not stealing from trailside businesses.

A couple of times I shared motel rooms with others. But only with the knowledge of those running the business. I chose not to accept invitations to surreptitiously crowd into hotel rooms to use their water and towels, and floors for sleeping.

Weary

max patch
10-05-2010, 18:33

Good one! Didn't catch it the first time I read it.

Desert Reprobate
10-05-2010, 19:04
Won't be long until you can hike from Ga to Me and stay in a Haven hotel every night.

warraghiyagey
10-05-2010, 20:16
Won't be long until you can hike from Ga to Me and stay in a Haven hotel every night.
If only it were that easy. . . :)

Trailbender
10-06-2010, 12:41
Personally, most times I thoroughly enjoy shelters. You meet and make friends more easily if you spend the evening with the folks. I enjoy quick morning get-aways when about a third of your morning chores are unnecessary. While I tend to be more of a loner, I'm not necessarily shy, so eating, sleeping, changing in close quarters doesn't present any problems for me.

Totally a personal choice, so give them a try. If you enjoy the experience, great. If you prefer more privacy, great.

The few times I stayed in a shelter on my thru, I always regretted it. Someone came in late or whatever. The times I was too lazy to take 5 minutes to set up my tent always resulted in being awakened continuously by something or other. Also, when getting up to use the bathroom, someone would shine their light on me, and have issues. Apparently, people have some problem with a hairy dude with a giant beard wearing pink panties. It was what I slept in.

I probably sheltered about 10-15 times or so on my thru. I liked setting up my tent and socializing at the shelter. I hiked all day by myself, by preference, so the company was nice sometimes.

jersey joe
10-06-2010, 13:48
Sometimes sharing hotel and motel rooms is legal. Sometimes it's not. On my walk north, I preferred that no one steal from me -- and they didn't. I recipricated by not stealing from trailside businesses.

A couple of times I shared motel rooms with others. But only with the knowledge of those running the business. I chose not to accept invitations to surreptitiously crowd into hotel rooms to use their water and towels, and floors for sleeping.

Weary
I wouldn't advocate breaking any rules. The hotels I shared along the way had full knowledge of who was staying there.

Tinker
10-06-2010, 14:22
Yet another thread about staying in shelters - I stay near them to use the privies to cut down on the possibility of contaminating water sources along the trail, and I appreciate the tables for cooking and hanging out, but when bedtime comes I'm off to my hammock nearby for some uninterrupted shuteye. Sometimes I avoid them altogether, especially the ones hosting loud parties late into the night.

10-K
10-06-2010, 14:43
I'm don't think I'd have a problem hiking a trail with limited resupply options or facilities spaced farther apart than is typical on the AT.

However, I see no sense in hiking past a bed, shower and real food in order to feel like I'm "roughing it" on the AT which is silly anyway since the AT isn't exactly the place to escape civilization in the first place. Generally speaking, I'll come off the trail every 3 or 4 days and be glad for the opportunity to clean up, wash clothes and resupply.

It's kind of like slackpacking... Some people have a problem with it.. To me, it's a matter of "Do I want to hike with a pack?" or "Do I want to hike without a pack?". I mean, who would carry a pack if they didn't have to?

Trailbender
10-06-2010, 15:32

Weary

The regular price of a hotel room is stealing. The only time I stayed in a hotel was when I split the bill with several other hikers. I have never felt that a motel was a good deal. $50+ and I don't even get a meal and laundry, screw that.

weary
10-06-2010, 15:51
The regular price of a hotel room is stealing. The only time I stayed in a hotel was when I split the bill with several other hikers. I have never felt that a motel was a good deal. $50+ and I don't even get a meal and laundry, screw that.
It may be outrageous. But it's not stealing if they tell you their fees upfront.

Businesses in this country generally have a right to set whatever price they want. As customers our only legitimate recourse is to walk away -- or perhaps report them to to the justice department if we think they are using illegal business practices.

If the latter, we'd better report them quickly. I hear there's a move afoot to limit or repeal onerous business regulation.

Weary

Lone Wolf
10-06-2010, 15:54

so are the prices you paid for your gear

weary
10-06-2010, 16:07
I planned on resupplying every six days. I only wavered when the trail wandered past an easy to get to store.

I stayed in shelters whenever possible because I liked to see who else was on the trail -- and because I didn't like packing up and carrying wet gear. Even if it doesn't actually rain, dew left my tent wet most mornings. Once I got to Maine I took a day off and stashed food at road crossings so I could avoid the generally long hitches into towns.

Weary

Lybarger
10-06-2010, 16:49

Have you ever tried to run a "for-profit" business ???

garlic08
10-06-2010, 17:15
I got some great deals on rooms along the AT, starting in Franklin at Ron Haven's. I always split with a buddy so the price per person was reasonable. Hiker rates, package services, breakfast buffets, coffee/microwave/fridge in room, laundry rooms, shuttles back to the trail, internet computers in the lobby, early check-in/late check out--I never felt ripped off in a motel, even up in New England. But hey, I'm in my fifties, I have a credit card, and I enjoy a good quiet bed rest sometimes, especially after a few days of rain and mud. Once we invited other hikers in for showers and paid extra for them at the office--no problem.

Tilly
10-06-2010, 21:57
If I get to the point I'd rather stay in a motel or hostel, I'll just go home.

That's pretty hard core. After 3,5,7+ days of rain I loved staying inside, getting the mud out of my ears, and cleaning/drying up. And not sleeping in a puddle. I would have gone home w/in the first week (5 solid days of nonstop rain, starting at Springer) if I held myself to that standard.

weary
10-06-2010, 22:40
... But hey, I'm in my fifties, I have a credit card, and I enjoy a good quiet bed rest sometimes, especially after a few days of rain and mud. .....
I observed my 64th birthday three weeks in on my 1993 long walk. Money was not a real problem. My wife at the time was still working and I had, and have, a marginally better than average pension, at least by Maine working person standards.

I looked to off trail accomodations mostly for showers, and for steak houses and salad bars for the protein and the veggies I needed but couldn't easily carry.

Weary

Toolshed
10-07-2010, 09:20
Shelters and hostels have been a part of trails forever. During the 17th and 18th and early 19th centuries it was common for houses in rural areas away from the settled towns to take in travelers. Simple shelters were commonly placed a days walk apart by hunters and trappers.

Three sided adirondack shelters were commonly used in New York for a century before the design was transplanted to the trail by maintaining clubs.
it.....

Weary
And they still are, except we call'em Lean-to's.:D

weary
10-07-2010, 10:38
And they still are, except we call'em Lean-to's.:D
As does MATC.

Trailbender
10-07-2010, 12:25
so are the prices you paid for your gear

I bought most of my gear on Ebay for a lot cheaper than outfitters. I made some of it as well.

Dogwood
10-07-2010, 13:07
I'm on the east coast, so unless you want to camp in some campground in a plot that is smaller and less wooded than my backyard, the AT is the way to go. - The Young One

...there are a plethora of trails in the eastern half of the country besides the AT. It's not the AT or nothing. - Tilly

Tilly is absolutely right. There are PLENTY of wide open less visited scenic even remote places and seasons on the east coast where you can have the trails/wilderness to yourself. If that is what you desire be mindful of where and when you hike the AT because you may VERY WELL not have the solitude or the wide open undeveloped true wilderness space you desire to experience. Some sections of the AT are more developed/closer to major population areas than other sections!

It's always interesting to hear, or read, statements from future hikers on what they will or won't do on the trail. Funny how the trail has a way of changing your mind on things. In any case, where you stay, how often you go into town, shower, resupply are your decisions. You do your thing. Allow others to do theirs. - Moose2001

LOL! Isn't that the truth?

Anyone prefer to sleep outside? In a tent, hamock, or tarp. Has anyone done a thruhike and has completely avoided shelters, hostels, and hotels? - The Young One

I prefer to primarily sleep outside rather than in a bed at a hotel or hostel. Over the past 3 1/2 months on the CDT, CT, Glacier NP, Yellowstone NP, Wind River Range, Grand Teton NP, and Rocky Mnt NP and I got a hotel room twice and slept at hostels 3 times. Five nights in a bed in more than 100 days on the trail! But, still I occasionally like a hotel room shower(not taking a shower under a freezing waterfall or in an alpine tarn or at an RV park), a place to dry out after many days of rain, or just as a home base to sort out/repair gear, mend any parts of my body and mind, etc. so I do stay under a roof from time to time. Don't underestimate the possible benefits of staying at an AT shelter, hostel, or hotel!!!

HYOH The Young One but do TRY to understand that for many AT hikers near trail hotels, AT hostels, and AT shelters are part of the AT hiking experience that enriches the journey!!!

rickb
10-07-2010, 18:36
Is waking up in a bed, and taking a shower every 4th day really roughing it on the trail? Seems rather wimpy to me.

Trailbender
10-07-2010, 19:08
I wouldn't advocate breaking any rules. The hotels I shared along the way had full knowledge of who was staying there.

Rules are made to be flexible. They cannot be absolute. If you have been rained on the last few days and are broke, and someone invites you in their room to crash, and it is still raining, then it is ok.

jersey joe
10-07-2010, 19:39
Rules are made to be flexible. They cannot be absolute. If you have been rained on the last few days and are broke, and someone invites you in their room to crash, and it is still raining, then it is ok.
Perhaps, but breaking rules is a slippery slope and i'm not sure breaking rules along the trail gives hikers a great reputation with businesses.

Tuckahoe
10-07-2010, 19:45

Regardless of how its framed its still theft of service.

4shot
10-07-2010, 19:58

thru-hikers who couldn't donate to hostels or pay for legitimate business services who nonetheless seemed to have enough money for beer, tobacco, etc. Not saying that you are one of them but this attitude of "hey I'm a thru-hiker so its all good" was a bit of a turnoff for me.

Lone Wolf
10-08-2010, 06:46
If you have been rained on the last few days and are broke, and someone invites you in their room to crash, and it is still raining, then it is ok.

yeah i agree. hikers are so special and rare that they deserve special treatment. they shouldn't have to pay at most hostels/motels

mweinstone
10-08-2010, 07:06
lwolf lwolf lwolf. what to do with this one. hmmm. paint him black? shorten him? strip him naked and give him a trident? no no no. this one seems to call out. yes... hes a caller outer. thats it! ill give him a podium. an auctioneers podium. he will fit nicely,.....here. next to the security guard i made out of tank. ahh,.....finaly! lwolfs in my hiker diaramma! wow! that took like a long time. he needs a hiker to sell. ill move burass over next to him and maby build him a cage. burass looks great as the homeless hiker i made him into whith his cherry red nose and riped and patched clothes and huck fin carryall. man this things gonna sell good. im sure i can sell the originals and the backrounds but i want someone to back mass production. my hikerworld collection is unrivelled in the known universe. if only steven hawkins was a hiker. i could have tow be his manservent. man that would add the touch i need. this things like jesters movie. ive been locked away with it along time tweeking it. like trail angel mary, one of my better figures. shes had every color hair and bikini untill i settled on redhead with green pokadot bikini. she looks like abeautiful.... christmas ball. and jack who is the band leader reaching under the stage for his squirrled away half a hogie while twirlling his baton at the band over his shoulder.

mweinstone
10-08-2010, 07:15
the bedbug was designed by my mexicans waiting for their fake visas in my supper secret sub terrainian bedbug free world where they live happy,.....to return hikerdom to the hills ,er...dummys. if all shelters on earth become bedbug ridden, then all hiking will be done in tents and cowboying it on trail. yeah! love the bug.hate the shelter. lol. i loove shelters.

Trailbender
10-08-2010, 08:42
thru-hikers who couldn't donate to hostels or pay for legitimate business services who nonetheless seemed to have enough money for beer, tobacco, etc. Not saying that you are one of them but this attitude of "hey I'm a thru-hiker so its all good" was a bit of a turnoff for me.

Yeah, when I stayed in a hostel I always paid or did work for stay. Each person paid for an individual bunk. There was no way to "group up" on a hostel and pay less. I only stayed at one motel on my thru, in Franklin, with 2 other people, and the manager knew about it anyways.

10-K
10-08-2010, 09:52
lthis things like jesters movie. ive been locked away with it along time tweeking it. .

You're tweaking alright... :)

sbhikes
10-08-2010, 13:09
You're tweaking alright... :)
Finally an accurate diagnosis.

The Old Fhart
10-08-2010, 14:53
Trailbender-“Rules are made to be flexible. They cannot be absolute. If you have been rained on the last few days and are broke, and someone invites you in their room to crash, and it is still raining, then it is ok.”
That isn’t a rule, it’s a law. If you own a house you can invite anyone you want to stay there as long as you want. But if you have entered into a contract to stay at a lodging you are legally bound to abide by the terms of that contract and applicable laws. You can’t rent a motel room and then invite every one you know in to stay there, no matter how bad the weather is-no one is dense enough to believe that. To do that makes you a common criminal and gives all hikers a bad name.
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/5/3/1/DoyleBathroom.jpg

Trailbender-“I said I would pay back my student loans if I got a good job. I would even work a crap factory job 60 hours a week if I could pay them off in a year or so. I would only not pay if I had to work at McDonald's or something for 10 years to pay it off. I wouldn't trade 10 years of my life for any amount of money, which is essentially what I would be doing.”
Once again you’ve entered into a contract and say you are only going to repay if it suits you. I you try this I hope the state gives you some free lodging with the other people who somehow think they are above the law and the world rotates around them. You should have considered the consequences before you accepted the loans, which you are obligated to pay according to their terms.

Moose2001
10-08-2010, 15:36
That isn’t a rule, it’s a law. If you own a house you can invite anyone you want to stay there as long as you want. But if you have entered into a contract to stay at a lodging you are legally bound to abide by the terms of that contract and applicable laws. You can’t rent a motel room and then invite every one you know in to stay there, no matter how bad the weather is-no one is dense enough to believe that. To do that makes you a common criminal and gives all hikers a bad name.
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/5/3/1/DoyleBathroom.jpg

Once again you’ve entered into a contract and say you are only going to repay if it suits you. I you try this I hope the state gives you some free lodging with the other people who somehow think they are above the law and the world rotates around them. You should have considered the consequences before you accepted the loans, which you are obligated to pay according to their terms.

Amen to all of what you said.

mweinstone
10-08-2010, 16:48
it was my idea to tell every one to take pictures of the cool sighs in the cool doyal. anyway,...farts pic is way more focused than all of mine. member the scene in the movie bladerunner where harrison ford enters a paper photo into a plotting machine? well, if you track section 31 center and zoom,...the center of the darkest part of the photo the old fart took,...you can see that his stomach is actually absorbing light photons and is in itself a black hole. if i was president and they told me i had to appoint the old fart as something important,....i would make him,.....cheif of white house security. his job would be singular. to absorb incomming projectiles of any type headed my way. the technicole name for the position is "first jumper".

mweinstone
10-08-2010, 16:53
if i was fakeing this bad spelling, wouldnt i have to be concidered among the worlds leading fakers? is that a position anyone pays for? wait, lets see how log i can type without running into a word i cant spell. i belive ive spelled all words correctly so far. wait. is their two r's in correctly? and did i just use the right "their" . no i didnt. so there. no?theyer? ther. the south knows how to make words better than us damm yanks. T H A R

Trailbender
10-08-2010, 19:09
To do that makes you a common criminal and gives all hikers a bad name.

That is your opinion.

I won't be a slave to money. You can if you want, but study interest and how the bankers screw everyone, and maybe you won't be so sympathetic. Besides, my loans are US Govt, which screwed me on VA benefits. Anything I owe this government, I more than paid back in Iraq.

I have considered the consequences, and I won't live for 10 years or more paying back gouging interest, living as a lifeless serf. My life means more to me than that, screw what anyone else thinks.

Live free or die. They come for me, they can be on the wrong end of an AK-47.

George
10-08-2010, 21:57
I always try to stay in the shelters for the mice as I get little other fresh meat when hiking

Alligator
10-08-2010, 22:26

However I see some folks prefer to use the shelters. Thru hikers regularly staying in hotels, and hostels. Is waking up in a bed, and taking a shower every 4th day really roughing it on the trail?

Anyone prefer to sleep outside? In a tent, hamock, or tarp. Has anyone done a thruhike and has completely avoided shelters, hostels, and hotels?This thread was the opening post. The thread is not about Trailbender's personal student loans. If there is some issue with that PM or email him.

stranger
10-09-2010, 01:03
I think it's one thing to say, or plan to hike the trail in a particular way...and quite another to actually do it.

Even for experienced hikers, hikes can vary considerably...mainly due to the weather conditions.

I generally dislike shelters, usually this means that I will camp nearby shelters because they always have good tentsites and water sources, but rarely sleep in them, even if they are empty. Now, give me 8 hours of a decent rain, and all this changes :)

Same with town stops, it's one thing if it's warm and sunny, quite another if you are walking through a hail storm after 4 days of rain. All of a sudden you might find yourself in a motel 'this one time'.

As far as roughing it...the AT is probably one of the best maintained trails in the entire world. It's blazed, well traveled, sign posted, has shelters, bear cables, privies, bridges, etc...One could argue hiking any distance on the AT is not exactly roughing it, so I would refrain from stating visiting a town every 4 days is not roughing it.

If you are really keen to rough it, jump on the North Country Trail, or better yet, come to Australia and I can point you to some trails that go 300 miles without crossing a road, and 50 miles without crossing a water source : )

Trailbender
10-09-2010, 08:51
The way I pitch my tent, it doesn't matter if it is raining or not. Also, I find the sound of rain on the tent relaxing, as well as the splattering sound of it leaking onto my sleeping bag.

Skyline
10-09-2010, 09:25
The way I pitch my tent, it doesn't matter if it is raining or not. Also, I find the sound of rain on the tent relaxing, as well as the splattering sound of it leaking onto my sleeping bag.

OK, I'll bite.

How do you pitch your tent that it doesn't matter if it is raining? Inquiring minds need to know.

Trailbender
10-09-2010, 11:47
OK, I'll bite.

How do you pitch your tent that it doesn't matter if it is raining? Inquiring minds need to know.

I was joking about the leak, by the way. My tent is an appy trails mk5. I heavily modified it. It is a fully enclosed tarptent with a long piece of paracord at the ridgeline. I tie this around a tree, then pull the ridgeline tight and stake out the rear, then the sides. If it is raining, I then throw my pack inside the tent and proceed from there. If not, I stake out one side like a lean to, lay my gear inside, change, ect, then pitch the other side.

BostonPro
10-12-2010, 10:05
Eh nothing wrong with staying in a hostel or a shelter to be quite honest. People enjoy hiking in different ways, there's always an alternative, doesn't mean it's wrong though.