PDA

View Full Version : Any reason why I can't stick my tent in a compression bag?

Bucherm
10-03-2010, 23:40
I have a Sierra Designs Vaporlight(Bought from this very board, I might add), and I've been using the tent bag it came in for campouts. As the weather starts to turn cooler I need to bring along a sleeping bag for the dog, whcih means that I'll be needing to make more room in the backpack. Is there a reason why I can't use a compression bag, or a compression cap(like so (http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___49997) ) for the tent, sans poles?

Thanks,

MBB

SMSP
10-03-2010, 23:48
I have a Kelty Teton 2 and have used a Kelty compression sack since day one. I have not any problems as of this date. Rain fly goes in first, tent body second and footprint last. Basically, it is packed in order of assembly. Tent stacks and guy lines packed in a side pocket and tent poles store in opposit side pocket.

SMSP

SassyWindsor
10-04-2010, 02:16
I wish I could put my entire pack in a compression sack.

double d
10-04-2010, 08:41
I have a Kelty Teton 2 and have used a Kelty compression sack since day one. I have not any problems as of this date. Rain fly goes in first, tent body second and footprint last. Basically, it is packed in order of assembly. Tent stacks and guy lines packed in a side pocket and tent poles store in opposit side pocket.

SMSP

I own the same tent as you and I pack the tent the same way. Main thing for someone to do is to make sure that the sack is "waterproof", that is, the tent will get wet from rain/morning dew/ect. and the waterproof sack will protect your other gear/clothes from getting wet.

Spokes
10-04-2010, 09:02
Compression sacks don't save space, they gobble it up since you end up with a non-moldable "brick" of an item.

You'll get more usable space inside your pack if things like sleeping bags and tents remain loose and moldable. That way they're able to fill in and conform to all those inner crevices of your pack.

SMSP
10-04-2010, 09:53
Compression sacks don't save space, they gobble it up since you end up with a non-moldable "brick" of an item.

You'll get more usable space inside your pack if things like sleeping bags and tents remain loose and moldable. That way they're able to fill in and conform to all those inner crevices of your pack.

Very true with my set-up. I try to put my tent "brick" in the middle and stuff other loose stuff around it. My tent and sleeping bag are the only items I compress. It works for me now, may change later.

One of the reasons I use a compression bag for my tent is somewhat of an experiment. I havent been able to find much information good or bad about putting a tent in a compression bag. What I have found is that folding a tent the same way over and over each time can weaken that part of the tent as it is contantly folded the same way.

So far, not problems with the tent material, zippers, etc... Only noticable thing is my tent looks like it could use a good ironing with all the wrinkles for packing in a compression sack. I have packed and unpacked this tent about 15 or so time over the past 2 years. If I find any ill affects from my method I'll update, but for now, it works for me.

SMSP

Don H
10-04-2010, 10:02
Your pack is a big compression sack. Jam all your stuff in there and cinch down the pack straps. You'll save weight and money. I put my tent in a large lightweight stuff sack so it will mould to the space available.

bigcranky
10-04-2010, 12:20
I carry my 2-person tent in a small roll-top dry bag, so I can stick it inside my pack soaking wet, and not have the rest of my gear get wet.

Farr Away
10-04-2010, 17:45
Maybe I'm being oblivious here, but I can't see any way that a compression sack for your tent will do you any good? A tent isn't pouffy. Isn't that the point of a compression sack? Getting rid of air space essentially? Like in down or synthetic insulation.

bigcranky
10-04-2010, 19:43
Maybe I'm being oblivious here, but I can't see any way that a compression sack for your tent will do you any good? A tent isn't pouffy. Isn't that the point of a compression sack? Getting rid of air space essentially? Like in down or synthetic insulation.

You might be surprised how much a tent will expand inside a stuff sack. Some folks think that's a good thing (see above.) I had a TNF tent that came with a compression sack, and it worked pretty well.

max patch
10-04-2010, 19:43

Thats exactly what I was thinking. While a compression bag won't hurt your tent, I also don't see any benefit in using it.

Franco
10-04-2010, 20:16
If compressing a tent works for you, try the Dr Salami method , first seen demonstrated at the Pisa (not pizza) University in 1606.
Just wrap a piece of string around the existing stuff sack. Lighter and multi use (IE , that bit of string can also be used as a bit of string)
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e389/Francophoto/Contrail/Contrail-salami.jpg

Did this just for fun because someone was boasting about the packed size of his Contrail so I took it upon me to get a smaller version...
Franco
(The record attempt was indipendently verified by Miss Lucy Felix)

Pedaling Fool
10-04-2010, 20:27

This works for me.

Bucherm
10-05-2010, 00:56
Your pack is a big compression sack. Jam all your stuff in there and cinch down the pack straps. You'll save weight and money. I put my tent in a large lightweight stuff sack so it will mould to the space available.

I'm trying to avoid the "Jam your crap in there" route as I carry a Kindle and worry I'll break the damn thing in the process of jamming.

Black Wolf
12-14-2010, 12:50
If compressing a tent works for you, try the Dr Salami method , first seen demonstrated at the Pisa (not pizza) University in 1606.
Just wrap a piece of string around the existing stuff sack. Lighter and multi use (IE , that bit of string can also be used as a bit of string)
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e389/Francophoto/Contrail/Contrail-salami.jpg

Did this just for fun because someone was boasting about the packed size of his Contrail so I took it upon me to get a smaller version...
Franco
(The record attempt was indipendently verified by Miss Lucy Felix)
What's in the bag Franco ?? tent type..??...weight..??..one can never have enough multi-use items.. .'' Lighter and multi use (IE , that bit of string can also be used as a bit of string)..''

now it's a thread...about string...

chiefiepoo
12-14-2010, 13:11
Does the cat go in the nalgene bottle?

Luddite
12-14-2010, 13:20

Thats true. Plus, its not good for your gear.

Franco
12-14-2010, 20:37
That "bag" is the Tarptent Contrail...
Sorry I don't bother with faces (smileys...) but i thought that it was obvious enough.
Don, amongst others suggested what I do :
"Your pack is a big compression sack"
In my case the tent goes into the front pocket or at the top of the pack because it is light and small enough to do that. The pack takes care of the compression.

Not anymore. she is 19 now..(still doing well)

Franco

Tinker
12-14-2010, 22:41

If he does, I doubt anyone would want to use it again! Tee-hee:D.

No comment on stuffing things aside that stuffing a wet tent in a waterproof sack is a good way to get mildew started. Make sure you have an option to air it out on the outside of your pack (a mesh stuffsack, perhaps).

I'm one of those "Your pack is a big stuffsack" types.