PDA

View Full Version : Shelter availability in the Whites

Joker4ink
10-04-2010, 00:31
Are there typically shelters available on the weekend in early-mid November? I am just trying to plan a trip and am wondering how much traffic is on the trail. I am thinking of heading to the Whites.

kayak karl
10-04-2010, 00:58
there were shelters at the pay campsites. i don't know when the caretakers are done. huts will be closed.

Joker4ink
10-04-2010, 01:33
I didn't even realize that some of the huts would be closed, considering those an option as well. It appears the only ones that open year-round are Carter, Zealand and Lonesome. Any thoughts as to the availability to the huts also? I'm just trying to make sure I have sleeping options open.

Slo-go'en
10-04-2010, 10:07
The RMC cabins Gray Knob and Crag Camp are open year round, but do require a modest overnigh fee ($12). The AMC huts which are still open require reservations and pre pay ($35?) I doubt there will be any trouble getting space.

All other shelters and tent platforms which normally have a caretaker and fee during the summer will be free.

There is very little activity after mid October (Columbus day weekend), as leaf peeper season is over and its getting definately chilly outside! In early - mid Nov, expect temps as low as 10 at night and highs of 30 during the day with a good chance of snow and ice on the trail.

Most hiking around here in very late fall and winter is destination hiking. Hiking up a side trail to a shelter or cabin for a night or two with the idea of going up to a summit.

DavidNH
10-04-2010, 11:10
I'll just add a bit to slow goin's comments.

yes huts will be closed accept for the year round huts (Carter Notch Hut, Lakes of Clouds, and Zealand). Those will be on self service basis only which means you bring your own food and do your own cooking.

tent sites will be free. There should be very little hiker traffic.

Remember.. days are short this time of year.. you need to have a headlamp!

David

4eyedbuzzard
10-04-2010, 12:30
And factor in timewise that you can't camp above treeline.

peakbagger
10-05-2010, 08:10
There are a couple of shelters that get pretty steady use. Usually they are near the road (Ethan Pond Shelter) and occasionally will get hunters using them. Guyot Shelter also tends to get use as it is in an area convienient to some peaks that are hard to dayhike and there arent a lot of camping options. They are very rarely if ever full except maybe a holiday weekend, but most folks usually hold off doing much November backpacking as the equipment due to variable weather conditions is about what you should carry in the winter.

Old Hillwalker
10-05-2010, 08:15
I'll just add a bit to slow goin's comments.

yes huts will be closed accept for the year round huts (Carter Notch Hut, Lakes of Clouds, and Zealand). Those will be on self service basis only which means you bring your own food and do your own cooking.

tent sites will be free. There should be very little hiker traffic.

Remember.. days are short this time of year.. you need to have a headlamp!

David

I'm sure that David meant to say Lonesome Lake Hut not Lakes of the Clouds. That hut is already closed. It's good to remember that the sleeping quarters in the winter huts are not heated and that below zero in the bunk rooms is to be expected.

DavidNH
10-05-2010, 10:52
I'm sure that David meant to say Lonesome Lake Hut not Lakes of the Clouds. That hut is already closed. It's good to remember that the sleeping quarters in the winter huts are not heated and that below zero in the bunk rooms is to be expected.

Thanks for the correction.

I did indeed mean to say Lonesome Lake Hut. Don't know what I was thinking.
Lakes of Clouds hut is closed and now probably already has winter conditions (October).

Hillwalker makes a good point. You may have a hut open on a self service basis but that doesn't mean warm sleeping. bunk rooms are unheated and can get real chilly November onwards. Bring a warm bag (rated to 20 F or lower).

David

sixhusbands
10-05-2010, 11:18
Imp tentsites are still available, Garfield Ridge shelter is still open and the Perch is still open during this time as well as the others mentioned earlier. I heard that they were taking down Madison Hut and rebuilding it , so there is probably some activity there too. It will be very cold and you can expect snow. If you are on the ridges , consider taking crampons.