PDA

View Full Version : Noobie Section Advice

haleswd
10-04-2010, 14:46
I am a beginning backpacker. I have only done 1 overnight hike which was 13 miles total. I am looking to do a longer one now. Maybe 2-3 nights and 20-30 miles. Does anyone have a favorite section of the trail, in Georgia/Tennessee, that fits with what I am looking for.

HikerRanky
10-04-2010, 15:18
First of all, welcome to WhiteBlaze!

Being that you are in the northwestern part of Georgia, I personally would look at doing the section of the AT from Springer to Neels Gap. This will give you a good idea of what the trail is going to be like in Georgia, North Carolina and Tennessee.

You can either park at Amicalola Falls State Park, and take the approach trail, or park there at AFSP, get a shuttle to Neel's Gap, do a SOBO back to AFSP, or a NOBO from Springer via USFS42... I would do the NOBO from Springer via USFS42.

Again, welcome to WhiteBlaze and hope that this helps!

Randy

scope
10-04-2010, 15:54
Previous post is good suggestion, but my favorite section would be Woody Gap to Unicoi Gap - that's 30 miles, but probably the easiest 30m section in GA. I would do it Sobo because that leaves the best views (Cowrock, Blood and Big Cedar) in the second half of the hike. You also get to go through Mt Crossings for a coke or whatever else you might need, including gear.

haleswd
10-04-2010, 16:13
Thanks for the advise and the warm welcome. Being new to WhiteBlaze I had to look up what SOBO and NOBO meant. I will definitely check on those sections of the trail. Thanks again.

BobTheBuilder
10-04-2010, 17:32
The area around Standing Indian is nice. There are a couple of established loops around there, but I don't know them. If you got on at Deep Gap and off at Winding Stair Gap it would be a nice stretch to hike. The view from Albert Mountain is nice, and the climb up Albert is kind of fun.

STICK
10-04-2010, 22:37
First of all, welcome to WhiteBlaze!

Being that you are in the northwestern part of Georgia, I personally would look at doing the section of the AT from Springer to Neels Gap. This will give you a good idea of what the trail is going to be like in Georgia, North Carolina and Tennessee.

You can either park at Amicalola Falls State Park, and take the approach trail, or park there at AFSP, get a shuttle to Neel's Gap, do a SOBO back to AFSP, or a NOBO from Springer via USFS42... I would do the NOBO from Springer via USFS42.

Again, welcome to WhiteBlaze and hope that this helps!

Randy

+1

Welcome to the forums. And hey, I had to look up all those abbreviations and such everyone on these forums used too... Seems posting is similar to backpacking itself, leave out what you don't have to have, hence the abreviations... but hey HYOH huh... :)

Anyway, I would suggest the section from AFSP to Neels Gap or from Springer to Neels Gap. It si the only section I have done so far. I was supposed to get back and do Neels Gap to Fontana Dam this past spring, but back surgery has postponed that, maybe next year...

Anyway, good luck and have fun. Be sure to come back and let us know what you did and how it went...