PDA

View Full Version : what if the trail was lit at night?

mweinstone
10-05-2010, 06:40
what if solar lights were installed ?the ones that cost a buck and stick in the ground?what if they allowed night hikjeing in warm weather? they could be set for just the summer months and just the hot parts and by volenteers and collected in cooler weather. maby like 10 per mile.or 20. enough to allow navigation . cool?

fredmugs
10-05-2010, 06:43
I love it but I'm guessing the anti-technology types are gonna whine like little babies.

mweinstone
10-05-2010, 06:53
or,..an asteroid could be towed into the earth lighting it up everywhere.

my solar lights will be donated by home depot. lowes will donate the deliverys.

the first light will be placed at dusk by someone unknown.

night hiking the hottest parts will increase to a near 100% level.

days of heat will find hikers about springs and creeks in rigs of shade . rest will increase. walking thru heat will become fun.

night hiking will become popular. glowing hiker gear will abound.

throw away batteries would vanish. solar charging would become feesable duing daytime sleep.

Just a Hiker
10-05-2010, 06:58
One of the shelter care takers in Pennsylvania put the solar lights on the blue blaze trail to the privy at one of the shelters. Someone from the Potomac ATC saw them and ratted him out to the ATC and he had to take them out. Cant remember the name of the shelter but the caretaker's name was Jim also, and this guy took great pride in this shelter.......he planted flowers, painted and even manicured the grass around the shelter. I do like your idea though.....maybe I would fall down less...

fredmugs
10-05-2010, 06:59
Had to be the 501 shelter.

Just a Hiker
10-05-2010, 07:02
Wasn't 501.....I want to say Gravel Springs Gap Shelter....or something like that....I always look forward to camping there in case Jim comes by to chat a bit.

Torch09
10-05-2010, 07:04
maybe rope lights all along the trail would be cool... and how about heated toilet seats in the privys? or wifi in the shelters? heck, why should we have to carry anything at all? just bring a credit card and buy food at the shelter cafe!

camojack
10-05-2010, 07:06
Had to be the 501 shelter.
Maybe the Quarry Gap shelter...that is one seriously well maintained shelter. :)

Just a Hiker
10-05-2010, 07:08
Quarry Gap.....that's it! Thank you Camojack......that guy takes alot of pride in that shelter.....they should have let him keep the lights going to the privy......wasn't hurting anyone and it made Jim happy.

4eyedbuzzard
10-05-2010, 07:08
I just KNEW it had to be you :datz :D

4eyedbuzzard
10-05-2010, 07:14
Does anyone remember the "Pave the AT" website? The site is down but there are google cached pages
Pave the AT http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:Sfgbo5K35g4J:pavetheappalachiantrai l.org/+pave+the+appalachian+trail&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

daddytwosticks
10-05-2010, 07:20
I'm definetly up for the heated privy seats...:)

Torch09
10-05-2010, 07:23
does anyone remember the "pave the at" website? The site is down but there are google cached pages
pave the at http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:sfgbo5k35g4j:pavetheappalachiantrai l.org/+pave+the+appalachian+trail&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

......wth?

mweinstone
10-05-2010, 07:36
ya know. im sick of rules. the worlds goin down. lets have some light. its for fun. not to aid in navigation. it just makes the night a better place to do alot of miles. it takes the heat off the hike and if thats wrong, i dont wanna know. if i must, i will place the lights myself. and defend them with my life. no one tells me what to do anymore. this was america once. im goin back.gabeesh?

4eyedbuzzard
10-05-2010, 07:39
......wth?
Okay, the site now appears to be up, hmm.

http://pavetheappalachiantrail.org/

TheChop
10-05-2010, 07:47
Replace AT with automated people mover. Problem solved.

Elder
10-05-2010, 08:21
We call it the MOON. :rolleyes:

camojack
10-05-2010, 08:25
Quarry Gap.....that's it! Thank you Camojack......that guy takes alot of pride in that shelter.....they should have let him keep the lights going to the privy......wasn't hurting anyone and it made Jim happy.
He does a fine job. It's one of the nicest shelters I've seen. :)

Anyway, I suppose that the PATC wants to maintain some semblance of a "wilderness" experience... :rolleyes:

Old Hillwalker
10-05-2010, 08:28
How about those old toxic Nalgenes full of fireflies. Released every three days and refilled by ATC volunteers.

This may be more practical than a government grant to paint white stripes on Moose here in the NE to cut down on the moose/car collisions that take both human and moose lives every year. This would be a great economic incentive program to employ former paper mill workers using paint ball guns to paint the mooses. For you urbanites, moose have very minimally if at all reflective eyes so at night they are nearly invisible from a speeding car even when standing in the middle of the road looking right at you. And of course thay are nearly black too. Hey Jester, are you any good at writing grants?

Old Hillwalker
10-05-2010, 08:36
How about those old toxic Nalgenes full of fireflies. Released every three days and refilled by ATC volunteers.

This may be more practical than a government grant to paint white stripes on Moose here in the NE to cut down on the moose/car collisions that take both human and moose lives every year. This would be a great economic incentive program to employ former paper mill workers using paint ball guns to paint the mooses. For you urbanites, moose have very minimally if at all reflective eyes so at night they are nearly invisible from a speeding car even when standing in the middle of the road looking right at you. And of course thay are nearly black too. Hey Jester, are you any good at writing grants?

As far as eye reflectivity goes, the moose is so tall with it's five foot tall legs, the eyes are usually higher than your headlights reach and you won't see them as you approach the beast. According to NH statistice, in a five year period 1110 moose/car collisions have been recorded. I couldn't quickly find the human death toll stats.

M1 Thumb
10-05-2010, 09:20
Solar lights installed on a trail through a forest canopy. No one wants it, costly, and won't work ---it sounds like a project that the government could get behind.

Namaste
10-05-2010, 09:41
And the flip of a switch from inside the shelter starts up a nice hot blazing wood fire in the pit without any effort.

4eyedbuzzard
10-05-2010, 09:52
And the flip of a switch from inside the shelter starts up a nice hot blazing wood fire in the pit without any effort.
What? No remote? :D

BAG "o" TRICKS
10-05-2010, 10:02
what if solar lights were installed ?the ones that cost a buck and stick in the ground?what if they allowed night hikjeing in warm weather? they could be set for just the summer months and just the hot parts and by volenteers and collected in cooler weather. maby like 10 per mile.or 20. enough to allow navigation . cool?

Tree canopy would not permit recharging of solar panels in most places, plus to costly and besides night creatures who we all love would object. Here’s a ‘novel’ idea why don't we use a reflective based white paint for blazes. Maybe not so much for night hiking but for safety purposes, in case there should be need for a night evacuation on the trail. If not reflective paint then how about placing reflective markers inside the 2" x 6" blazes such as "bright eyes" and for the tree huggers, maybe use "limb lights" or a reflective white tape.

10-K
10-05-2010, 10:54
I'd be happy with outlets to charge my cell phone and an iPod dock.

Maybe a Redbox kiosk to rent a dvd ....

BAG "o" TRICKS
10-05-2010, 11:11
I'd be happy with outlets to charge my cell phone and an iPod dock.

Maybe a Redbox kiosk to rent a dvd ....

'Unplug and unwind'. Here's a test to see if you need to.
Turn off all your electronic gadgets for just one day and see how you feel.
If you feel disconnected from life turn on your cell phone and dial 911 because you need it.., bad.

Danielsen
10-05-2010, 11:38
Hmm. You know the fun part about night hiking? When you turn your light off and your eyes adjust and the world is full of subtle shapes and shadows and you have to move a little slower, but it just gives you more time to enjoy the trail, and then when you get to a viewpoint you're able to survey the subtleties of the landscape and sky after dark because your eyes aren't dulled by relying on a light on the trail?

Yeah. I think we might run into some minor issues with that.

Blue Jay
10-05-2010, 12:03

Please stop giving them new ideas on how to waste money. Here in NY we're now paying for advertizements for breast feeding. Not that I'm in any way against breast feeding, but do I have to pay for something that has been and will be done as long as humans survive? Clearly yes. I know you're joking about painting Moose but I seriously think they would create a Moose Painting division of the DOT in this state. We have a reputation as the most corrupt and we don't want Texas or Illinois coming up with something worse, because they will try.

Blue Jay
10-05-2010, 12:05
Solar lights installed on a trail through a forest canopy. No one wants it, costly, and won't work ---it sounds like a project that the government could get behind.

My point exactly.

Many Walks
10-05-2010, 12:07
Newsflash Today the President just appointed a Moose Painting Czar who will reside in New York. Film at 11:00!

Old Hillwalker
10-05-2010, 12:41
Newsflash Today the President just appointed a Moose Painting Czar who will reside in New York. Film at 11:00!

The mooses will be blazed with 3 by 5 inch white stripes on both sides of the body.

weary
10-05-2010, 12:54
The thread is labeled "humor," but politics might be more accurate.

DaveSail
10-05-2010, 12:58
The sign on the shelter says : " Innkeeper Jim Novck "
or something similar . David

weary
10-05-2010, 13:09
I love it but I'm guessing the anti-technology types are gonna whine like little babies.
And properly so.

DaveSail
10-05-2010, 13:24
I may have gotten the spelling wrong . May be " Stouck " or " Slouck " .

Anyway , here is a photo :

http://appalachianpages.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=239&size=big&cat=

sbhikes
10-05-2010, 13:33

Blasphemy.

DavidNH
10-05-2010, 13:43

I think this thread really belongs in the humor forum. You can't really be serious.. wanting to light the trail up as if you were walking in a city?

that's a good one!

David

berkshirebirder
10-05-2010, 14:17
We (NY) have a reputation as the most corrupt and we don't want Texas or Illinois coming up with something worse, because they will try. --Blue Jay

Priceless, Bluejay.

Luddite
10-05-2010, 14:19

How could you love that idea?

nitegaunt
10-05-2010, 14:22
Maybe after Home Depot and Lowes donate the lights they can put up advertising billboards along the way. Hey, while we're at it we can put power in all the shelters and have a tv there so people can watch the news and reality tv shows.

Luddite
10-05-2010, 14:30
I wouldn't mind being able to watch American Idol in a shelter.

ChinMusic
10-05-2010, 14:46
The question makes me think of another use for the word "lit".

Danielsen
10-05-2010, 15:31
Maybe after Home Depot and Lowes donate the lights they can put up advertising billboards along the way. Hey, while we're at it we can put power in all the shelters and have a tv there so people can watch the news and reality tv shows.

That "pave the AT" site is in fact pushing for advertising along the AT. They also claim they're making progress in their goal to install "kiosks" every three miles along the trail, a claim that quite frankly scares me a little bit (to say nothing of the rest of their stated goals!).

Should they ever manage to even install a dozen or two kiosks on the AT, I personally volunteer to be part of a group building blue-blaze trails that circumvent every single one of them.

Surplusman
10-05-2010, 16:24
Hows about installing two sets of railroad tracks on the AT. One for SOBO trains (The Springer Rocket)and one for NOBO trains (The Kathadin Bullet). There would be sleeper cars, dining cars...the full monte. Then you could do away with shelters and there would be no bear problems, no litter, no privys, no nothing. Wow.

Jester2000
10-05-2010, 16:37

Misnomer. People who are anti-electronics are not anti-technology. And technically, we whine like large babies.

Hey Jester, are you any good at writing grants?

RE: Painting moose:
I think this is a brilliant idea, as moose kill more people in North America than any other mammal except humans. Unfortunately, I don't believe that moose exist, and so can't use my formidable grant-writing skills for such a silly project.

People can already do that with their phones, can't they?

Spokes
10-05-2010, 16:53

Don't pimp my trail.

Doctari
10-05-2010, 17:08
It seems a good Idea. Each hiker grabs a few & sets them out, maybe put a box at Springer & Kathadin with slips of paper "This is your section".

Then again, this would be helpful to hikers, (especially as mentioned above during the hot times when night hiking is preferred), so, the ATC is naturally against it.
If a well marked and lit trail to the privy is "Against the ATC rules" They would "Have a stroke" over a lit (& easy to navigate) AT.

4eyedbuzzard
10-05-2010, 18:22
That "pave the AT" site is in fact pushing for advertising along the AT. They also claim they're making progress in their goal to install "kiosks" every three miles along the trail, a claim that quite frankly scares me a little bit (to say nothing of the rest of their stated goals!).

Should they ever manage to even install a dozen or two kiosks on the AT, I personally volunteer to be part of a group building blue-blaze trails that circumvent every single one of them.

Um, how do I break this to you gently . . . it's a spoof. I first saw it a couple years ago on April 1.

weary
10-05-2010, 19:04
It seems a good Idea. Each hiker grabs a few & sets them out, maybe put a box at Springer & Kathadin with slips of paper "This is your section".

Then again, this would be helpful to hikers, (especially as mentioned above during the hot times when night hiking is preferred), so, the ATC is naturally against it.
If a well marked and lit trail to the privy is "Against the ATC rules" They would "Have a stroke" over a lit (& easy to navigate) AT.
I know of no evidence that ATC is "naturally against" ideas that "would be helpful to hikers."

ATC has agreed to enforce the 1968 law protecting the trail and requiring that the footpath "provide primitive outdoor-recreation and educational opportunities for Trail visitors."

The nation has millions of miles of lighted sidewalks for people desiring such things for their walks.

A few of us, even some White Blaze members I understand, go to the woods and the mountains for a more natural walking environment, an environment where artificial lighting is prohibited, where the footpath is narrow and unpaved, and where one can experience physical challenges and the natural world.

Weary

Jester2000
10-05-2010, 19:42
. . . Then again, this would be helpful to hikers . . . so, the ATC is naturally against it. . .

Here are some things helpful to hikers that the ATC is for: blazing, trail maintaining, shelters, the ALDHA guidebook, the Data Book, holding mail at ATC Headquarters.

Sadly, my repeated requests to ATC for solar powered, refrigerated vending machines full of cheese at all shelters has, to date, fallen on deaf ears. So you're not entirely incorrect.

4eyedbuzzard
10-05-2010, 19:53
Here are some things helpful to hikers that the ATC is for: blazing, trail maintaining, shelters, the ALDHA guidebook, the Data Book, holding mail at ATC Headquarters.

Sadly, my repeated requests to ATC for solar powered, refrigerated vending machines full of cheese at all shelters has, to date, fallen on deaf ears. So you're not entirely incorrect.

Perhaps if we all could agree on just one thing - maybe we could all nominate our favorite improvement and then vote. And I'm thinking beer machines might just win if it were on the ballot. It would be a huge revenue generator for the ATC as well. Even the AMC would be jealous.

Slo-go'en
10-05-2010, 20:13
I was seriously considering carring a solar garden light with me. Would help finding the tent if you ever wander away from it at night - or to find the outhouse.

I have one where I changed out the white led for one which changes color between red, green and blue every 10 seconds or so. Kind of neat.

And a moose hut using reflective paint ball paint - that was my idea, several years ago! Might have to pitch that to the state as a way to make money (sell "hunting" licenses) and save lives!

4eyedbuzzard
10-05-2010, 20:29
I was seriously considering carring a solar garden light with me. Would help finding the tent if you ever wander away from it at night - or to find the outhouse.

I have one where I changed out the white led for one which changes color between red, green and blue every 10 seconds or so. Kind of neat.

I have one of those too - but it's in my hot tub. And it's gonna stay there.

Kerosene
10-05-2010, 20:35
I still like my idea to install butane canister-powered sock dryers at shelters. Refrigerated beer machines would be great, but subject to abuse by minors.

warraghiyagey
10-05-2010, 20:38
I still like my idea to install butane canister-powered sock dryers at shelters. Refrigerated beer machines would be great, but subject to abuse by minors.
Minors would abuse the sock dryers as well . . .

Feral Bill
10-05-2010, 20:39
How about glow in the dark plastic blazes? Like the stars you can buy for a kids bedroom ceiling. Just nail them to the trees. Really no different than the old school stamped metal trail markers I used to see on occasion. Nice and eerie. Low maintenance.

jersey joe
10-05-2010, 21:41
I don't know about covering the trail with solar lights but...I have found reflective tape tied around trees in some areas very useful when getting caught hiking in the dark. You need a flashlight of course, but it helps you find the trail!

Danielsen
10-05-2010, 21:43
Um, how do I break this to you gently . . . it's a spoof. I first saw it a couple years ago on April 1.

Break it as harshly as you wish, I'm just glad to hear that's the case. :D What can I say, I live in NY state, I'm used to ridiculous legislation/corruption/profiteering and my area just gave a majority vote to a guy who sends horse porn to his coworkers in our gubernatorial primaries so I'm not inclined to doubt completely moronic proposals and movements right now.

Daybreak
10-05-2010, 21:53
How about glow in the dark plastic blazes? Like the stars you can buy for a kids bedroom ceiling. Just nail them to the trees. Really no different than the old school stamped metal trail markers I used to see on occasion. Nice and eerie. Low maintenance.

The 'stars' exist in some places and are quite eerie as are the many reflective eyeballs.

BTW, the cost of installing solar lights can easily be covered by selling off the tree canopy thus solving two problems at once.

Panzer1
10-05-2010, 22:18
how about beer on tap at every shelter. You can't be against that can you?

Panzer

camojack
10-05-2010, 22:22

Panzer
That all depends upon the beer... :-?

4eyedbuzzard
10-05-2010, 22:26
Picky, picky, picky. :rolleyes: Please tell us you wouldn't turn down even some domestic swill as long as it was cold. Please :o

4eyedbuzzard
10-05-2010, 22:31
What can I say, I live in NY state, I'm used to ridiculous legislation/corruption/profiteering and my area just gave a majority vote to a guy who sends horse porn to his coworkers in our gubernatorial primaries so I'm not inclined to doubt completely moronic proposals and movements right now.

Understood - I lived in The People's Republic of New Jersey for many years.

WILDERNURSE
10-05-2010, 22:50
I hear ya.

Danielsen
10-05-2010, 23:02
Picky, picky, picky. :rolleyes: Please tell us you wouldn't turn down even some domestic swill as long as it was cold. Please :o

If it isn't delicious at room temp, it's probably not worth drinking.

If you just want to get drunk, wouldn't a little plastic bottle of cheap 180-proof be more efficient? Heck, you can call it a multiple-use item if you carry an alky stove.

camojack
10-06-2010, 00:26
Sorry, can't help you there...I don't do swill. :(
(With certain notable exceptions (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camo_%28beer%29)... ;))

BAG "o" TRICKS
10-06-2010, 10:28
I think this thread really belongs in the humor forum. You can't really be serious.. wanting to light the trail up as if you were walking in a city?

that's a good one!

David

Well look who started it???? Hellooooooo, Matty, are you out there.., oh yes, you are.

BAG "o" TRICKS
10-06-2010, 10:33

Hey if they should ever put them up you can always check to see how sharp the chain saw blade is when going in to do some trail maintaining;)

BAG "o" TRICKS
10-06-2010, 10:39
Misnomer. People who are anti-electronics are not anti-technology. And technically, we whine like large babies.

RE: Painting moose:
I think this is a brilliant idea, as moose kill more people in North America than any other mammal except humans. Unfortunately, I don't believe that moose exist, and so can't use my formidable grant-writing skills for such a silly project.

People can already do that with their phones, can't they?

Hey moose exist Jester. Remember we saw him at Trail Days. He met a girl there and married her a few weeks later. Best part of it was that he even called that shot ahead of time. Wonder if they're stilled hitched?

Blue Jay
10-06-2010, 11:05
Ya gotta love a thread that sidetracks to Moose and Beer. Great job Matty.:banana

weary
10-06-2010, 12:08
Ya gotta love a thread that sidetracks to Moose and Beer. Great job Matty.
But where's the promised humor.

Old Hiker
10-06-2010, 12:14

Same place as the "Hope and Change".

Here's hoping "they" will let us keep our change after 01 Jan.

scope
10-06-2010, 12:22
No to lights, it will make it easier for the aliens to track me. :-?

Buzz_Lightfoot
10-06-2010, 13:29

I am an alien. Those lights helped me land.

Old Hiker
10-06-2010, 13:56

The chip implanted in your head quit working?? :eek:

Just askin'. :rolleyes:

Expect another visit the next time you camp out. ;)

4eyedbuzzard
10-06-2010, 14:00
People laugh at chrome umbrellas and tin foil hats, but you'll notice there are no aliens in this picture. Must work.

http://www.adventureworldmagazineonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/IMG_5778.jpg

Tinker
10-06-2010, 14:14
The question makes me think of another use for the word "lit".

Right! I've seen more than one hiker "lit" at night on the AT :D.

Tinker
10-06-2010, 14:18
Why is the plural of moose..............moose?
Never mind, I'm still trying to figure out the "acorn" bit.

Jester2000
10-06-2010, 17:04

No humor was promised. This very serious thread was moved to the humor forum.

weary
10-06-2010, 17:25
No humor was promised. This very serious thread was moved to the humor forum.
Well, then let the moderator supply some humor. I agree it is a serious subject. It's a thread that goes to the heart of what the trail is about. I know, some people think the trail is a joke.

And it is funny, or at least unexpected, that such an improbable thing as a wild trail running through some of the most populous states in the nation still survives and even gets a bit wilder from time to time despite all the jokers.

Weary

kolokolo
10-06-2010, 21:39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzer1 http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/wb_style/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=1056823#post1056823)

Panzer

Any beer is better than no beer. On tap at every shelter sounds good.

camojack
10-07-2010, 00:39
Any beer is better than no beer.
Ah, an opinion (http://www.entertonement.com/clips/fjypnfvmqn--Opinions-are-like-assholesDirty-Harry-Clint-Eastwood-Harry-Callahan-manly-)... :rolleyes:

Pedaling Fool
10-07-2010, 09:35
Moderators can't catch every little blip; it took a while, but they finally got this one
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=45833 (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=45833):D

kolokolo
10-07-2010, 21:54
Quote:
Originally Posted by UHFox http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/wb_style/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=1057235#post1057235)
Any beer is better than no beer.

Ah, an opinion (http://www.entertonement.com/clips/fjypnfvmqn--Opinions-are-like-assholesDirty-Harry-Clint-Eastwood-Harry-Callahan-manly-)... :rolleyes:

But it's my opinion, so it's correct.