PDA

View Full Version : Is my trail name 'taken'

RITBlake
12-05-2004, 22:21
When I grew my beard out this fall my little brother called me Abe Lincoln because I can't grow a moustache but I can grow a nice full beard. Is AL taken as a trail name

A-Train
12-05-2004, 22:35
if it is, how bout Chinstrap?

mdionne
12-06-2004, 00:55
use any name you'd like to. some names are repeated year to year. it's what reflects your personality the best or what you like. it shouldn't matter whether some had that name in 1975 or 2005. go with whatever pleases you. :)

Tha Wookie
12-06-2004, 01:08
When I grew my beard out this fall my little brother called me Abe Lincoln because I can't grow a moustache but I can grow a nice full beard. Is AL taken as a trail name
I knew an AL ('01). Everyone called him Weird Al. Nice guy, but a little weird.:-?

Lion King
12-06-2004, 02:03
I was hiking around Springer this year in November meeting up with Some SObos I had meet in New hampshire earlier in the year and they were like "Dude, there was a Lion King about two days ahead of you going North"...I have been LionKing since 98, but I dont care if someone else has the name, as long as they arent complete a--holes and tarnish the name or do evil things.

Most people who know me out here and around the Trail towns know me, so I aint sweatin it, nor should you.

If You Hike, the Name will come.

A-Train
12-06-2004, 02:39
A lot of names are repeated every yr. So many people on the AT these days, its kinda hard to avoid it. There were a couple other A-Trains in 03' and there seem to be one or two every yr. Yogi, Walking Wounded, bramble, rambler, litefoot, poptart, nameless, anything having to do with a bear or a wolf etc.. I could go on forever there are so many popular trail names that get recycled yearly. As eveyrone has said, don't sweat just enjoy your name and thats all you can ask for.

hacksaw
12-06-2004, 02:47
THE Lion King brings pizza and beer!

Glee
12-06-2004, 08:48
I was hiking around Springer this year in November meeting up with Some SObos I had meet in New hampshire earlier in the year and they were like "Dude, there was a Lion King about two days ahead of you going North"...
If You Hike, the Name will come.
I was in Maine coming down one steep mountain and Dude was coming up. Needless to say, it only took a few minutes to see why and how he got his name... "Hey dude, so this is one tough hill dude. So dude how long you been out dude?" He was a nice guy and I really needed someone to talk with at the time but if is name was Bob, Joe or whatever I would never have remembered his name...
On the other hand, if he didn’t have a trail name I probably would have just said, “I met this dude on the trail who……”

Jaybird
12-06-2004, 09:14

like has been said before....some "popular" trail names repeat from year to year...i dont think i've ever heard of ABE LINCOLN being used....

example: i met "Pinky" (of "Pinky & the Brain" class of 2001) this past weekend in Blowing Rock,NC,...he told me he has met several other "Pinky" hikers since.

good luck with your hike!

p.s. i've heard of a couple other "Jaybird"s ....but, of course,...i'm the original! hehehehehe :D

UCONNMike
12-06-2004, 11:26
How about "Veggies!" :clap

Lion King
12-06-2004, 12:23
THE Lion King brings pizza and beer!
...and dont forget...I throw things at snorers :banana :bse HEHEHe!

oldfivetango
01-04-2005, 21:37
Is it OK to go by your own nickname until other
hikers give you your AT Trailname?What if they never do?
Thanks,
Oldfivetango:cool:

Footslogger
01-04-2005, 21:44
When I grew my beard out this fall my little brother called me Abe Lincoln because I can't grow a moustache but I can grow a nice full beard. Is AL taken as a trail name============================
Don't recall any Abe Lincolns in 2003 but if it's a name you like ...run with it.

Only suggestion is that you choose something you can live with once your thru-hike is over. Yes ...trail names stick with you !!

'Slogger
AT 2003

stickman
01-04-2005, 21:45
I'd say your trail name is "Taken" judging from your post. Nice to meet you, Taken.

Stickman

Brushy Sage
01-04-2005, 21:50
I have met several hikers named Sarge, at least two named Moses, the point being if you have a name that fits you, go with it. You have the option of changing it anywhere along the way, and this does happen.

SiuWonfung
01-04-2005, 22:49
in response to your question Mr. RITBlake, yes.

Jack Tarlin
01-05-2005, 19:24
Personally, I think that "Abe Lincoln" is a perfectly fine Trail Name, if that's what you like.

However, in that something like 1150 miles of the Trail is below the Mason-Dixon line, there may be a few folks you encounter who feel differently; in certain places, even to this day, he's not exactly popular.

If you REALLY wanna keep 'em guessing, call yourself "Abe Lincoln" but put a Stars and Bars patch on your backpack.

That way, you'll either satisfy or completely offend just about everyone you encounter.

In any case, if you take a sidetrip to Washington, you might wanna pass on visiting Ford's Theater.

RITBlake
01-06-2005, 01:08
However, in that something like 1150 miles of the Trail is below the Mason-Dixon line, there may be a few folks you encounter who feel differently; in certain places, even to this day, he's not exactly popular.

ha, that is pretty funny/sad....people who get upset about a war they lost over a hundred years ago. This summer we visited a plantation in S.C. and they refused to call it the civil war, they call it the 'war of northern agression'
lol, come on! I actually have respect for the confederate soldiers that fought in the CW, but they are long gone, as are any Union soldier who fought. Time to move on!

dp the wonder dog
01-06-2005, 01:15
and they refused to call it the civil war, they call it the 'war of northern agression'
Actually, properly defined, a 'civil' war is 2 factions fighting for control of a single government. The South wasn't trying to take over the Federal (union) government, they were fighting for the right to secede from the Union and form their own separate goverment. In mixed company (true Southerners, and yankee trash), :) I prefer to use the term "the War between the states".

Mags
01-06-2005, 15:10
Actually, properly defined, a 'civil' war is 2 factions fighting for control of a single government. The South wasn't trying to take over the Federal (union) government, they were fighting for the right to secede from the Union and form their own separate goverment. In mixed company (true Southerners, and yankee trash), :) I prefer to use the term "the War between the states".

If you get the chance, read CONFEDEREATES IN THE ATTIC by Tony Horwitz. A look at how the modern "South" views the The Civil War and how this conflict is still very much part of their daily lives. Interesting look. Growing up in the Northeast, the Civil War was something we studied in school. Many people living there (myself included) had their ancestors come over well after the conflict ended. It is a war that is far removed from their "gut".

For many people below the Mason-Dixon line, the Civil War is almost living history. Stories of their great-x grandfather who fought in this war, pictures and journals still around, battlefields down the road, etc. It is a conflict that resonates still.

Good read in any case. Maybe I'll read it again soon.

Jack Tarlin
01-06-2005, 23:41
Geez, guys, I was kinda kidding there. You don't need to wear a rebel patch or flag in the south, and it doesn't matter if you look like Lincoln, Grant, or George Custer.

The people in the south are among the friendliest folks you'll meet on the whole Trail; as a rule, they're friendlier than folks in my neck of the woods (New England) and they don't care where you're from, what kind of accent you have, or what your trail name is.

Tho calling yourself "General Sherman" is probably not such a hot idea.

steve hiker
01-07-2005, 01:24
Nobody, and I mean nobody, has taken my name. I am the 1 and only Jumble Jowls. It is mine, mine, ALL MINE.

Jumble Jowls #1 :jump

neo
01-07-2005, 08:28
i have had 3 trail names,my first was lone wolf,did not use it long,to many other lone wolfs out there,plus i did not want to offend the unoffical mayor of damascus,then i went by a name a buddy of mine gave me years ago recon,because of my military look and style,i gave that name up because as an ultralite hiker,i no longer had the look,so i chose neo,i am a matrix fan,plus i am bullet proof and unstoppable,but thats another story:sun neo

Valmet
01-07-2005, 23:51
You could go by Honest Abe. Believe me no on down south gets bent when northerners make the mistake of calling it the war between the states instead of the correct term War of Norther Aggression. We realize they just don't understand. But one item is correct it is different down south due to the fact of so many landmark battle fields, items passed down and remember the last surviving Conferdate Widow only died a very short time ago. If you are ever down south and have the time go to some of the places and history will come alive for you. I spent some time at Andersonville and there are moments when you can almost hear the pain and voices of the dead.